IGNORED

Liam Walsh - Now confirmed signed (merged)

Hazelboy

9 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Not saying we won't. Just hope we don't make the same mistake as Jan 2008 

But didn’t we sign ‘proven’ players in January 2008? 

I’d say that was part of the problem back then, we signed players at the back end of their careers with little left to prove as far as they were concerned.

Everton do have some sensational youngsters coming through their ranks.

We will see one of them play against us on Saturday. Kieran Dowell is on loan at Forest. I'd very much like to look at him if Allardyce does not think he will fit their bill when he returns to the club. (watch him play shockingly bad now)

Add in Holgate & Davies who have semi-established themselves for Everton's first team over the last 18 months.

£1 million does not buy a lot these days, but i'm hoping that enough homework has been done in order to justify that amount.

2 hours ago, The Batman said:

We will see one of them play against us on Saturday. Kieran Dowell is on loan at Forest. I'd very much like to look at him if Allardyce does not think he will fit their bill when he returns to the club. (watch him play shockingly bad now)

Add in Holgate & Davies who have semi-established themselves for Everton's first team over the last 18 months.

£1 million does not buy a lot these days, but i'm hoping that enough homework has been done in order to justify that amount.

Everton have done a good job of pinching young players from places like Barnsley, Holgate, and Sheffield United, Calvert Lewin. I said we should've been looking at jonjoe Kenny last season, but appears he's too chose to their first team now.

15 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Nixon a bit further down the trail also says he has heard we are going in big for a striker in January!!! Sure someone else mentioned that on here recently as well

Perhaps Hugill? PNE have just signed Louis Moult from Motherwell. https://www.pnefc.net/news/2017/december/preston-north-end-reach-agreement-over-louis-moult-transfer/

1 hour ago, westred1 said:

Perhaps Hugill? PNE have just signed Louis Moult from Motherwell. https://www.pnefc.net/news/2017/december/preston-north-end-reach-agreement-over-louis-moult-transfer/

Personally, I hope not as I do not really rate him. Big and athletic for sure but did not see much of a footballer when we played them. 

21 hours ago, pnefcok said:

Heard a few times that he's very highly rated at Everton. Hasn't worked for him at Birmingham but that's what happens when panic loans/signings occur on deadline day.

I like these types of signings from Premier League U23 squads. We did it with Pearson (350k from MUFC) and Johnson (50k from Villa and now they're 2 of the best in this league. It's an affordable way of signing young talent.

Is that the Ben Pearson that got a pat on the back from his mate after seeing Joe Bryan hobble off the pitch? What a first rate **** he is, but then, one of many on the night from our cuddly mates from PNE.

Bit optimistic from Yeovil's boss...

"I spoke to Lee, and I said that if you buy him for a million, then you can loan him to us. So hopefully, fingers crossed, he trusts me. But I would be disappointed if Lee bought him, and he didn't loan him to us. Having said that, if he played for Bristol City, I would probably guarantee he could handle that environment." 

On 14/12/2017 at 08:06, JoeAman08 said:

Didn’t Matt Smith join us on loan as the third team he had played for that season? That was the reason we could not extend his loan or one of them I think. 

On 14/12/2017 at 08:41, Monkeh said:

before the loan rules changed

Yes, was an Emergency Loan that had a maximum of 93 days. No such thing anymore. 

Im not sure of the 2 or 3 club rule. Thought it (2 clubs Max) was a fifa thing that the Prem and Football League flouted. 

As i’ve said not sure of rules, but think it another stupid rule, where player plays for own club and then can’t have two half-season loans at different clubs.

On 14/12/2017 at 09:09, The Batman said:

:thumbsup:

Looks a cracking player

This 'rumour' appears to have all the substance and ticks all the boxes 

LJ said he'd spoken to a potential signing up north at weekend

Clearly a LJ style player

Young with potential to grow in value

Cental Midfieler

Was on loan at Yeovil where I'd suggest Lees big mate Darren Way , knowing Lee and what he's looking for,  suggested we have a very close look at him

Welcome to Bristol City Liam  :yes:

18 hours ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Is that the Ben Pearson that got a pat on the back from his mate after seeing Joe Bryan hobble off the pitch? What a first rate **** he is, but then, one of many on the night from our cuddly mates from PNE.

Haha. I’d rather not bring up the debate all over again but we were on a bad run and had to do whatever it took to get a win. I’m pleased you’re flying high this season but it doesn’t entitle you to expect the opposition to turn up and roll over and gift you the 3 points. Your own manager absolutely loves Pearson.

23 hours ago, westred1 said:

22 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Personally, I hope not as I do not really rate him. Big and athletic for sure but did not see much of a footballer when we played them. 

Would have to be north of £8m which we turned down in the summer from Reading. Can’t you see splashing that out on him? They also offered him 20k a week and I’d expect them to return for him next month.

Personally I like him but don’t think he’s worth that amount and don’t think he’ll ever be more than a 12 goal Championship striker.

1 minute ago, pnefcok said:

Haha. I’d rather not bring up the debate all over again but we were on a bad run and had to do whatever it took to get a win. I’m pleased you’re flying high this season but it doesn’t entitle you to expect the opposition to turn up and roll over and gift you the 3 points. Your own manager absolutely loves Pearson.

Nor do we expect violent assaults on our players . 

20 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

I've moaned about us over the years not doing that enough away from home  It's being streetwise on the pitch, something we have rarely been over the years. As a team you should work together and do whatever it takes to slow the game down and eat up minutes if you are short of confidence or in a good position. It's called tactics. Preston got theirs spot on that night.

32 minutes ago, screech said:

I've moaned about us over the years not doing that enough away from home  It's being streetwise on the pitch, something we have rarely been over the years. As a team you should work together and do whatever it takes to slow the game down and eat up minutes if you are short of confidence or in a good position. It's called tactics. Preston got theirs spot on that night.

I have to agree too!

If the shoe was on the other foot we would have supporters defending this. It's all part of the game.

On 13/12/2017 at 18:00, Shtanley said:

Wonder if this is who LJ said he had talked to. Seems many Birmingham fans were annoyed that he saw little game time and got sent back. Anyone know any Yeovil fans who would know about him?

Hi Shtanley, I'm a Bristol based Yeovil fan who watches YTFC every week for my sins.

We have probably had 60 or 70 loanees at Huish Park over the past decade or so and Liam is easily in the top six we have ever had, all things considered. And that list includes Steven Caulker, Ryan Mason, Andros Townsend, Alex McCarthy, Asmir Begovic, Shaun MacDonald and Leon Best. Oh yes, and Kieran Agard too. :thumbsup:

Liam was with us for four months in 2015/16 season when he was just eighteen. Ran the show in central midfield; busy energetic style, able to compete with bigger, more experienced players and mature beyond his years I'd say. Went out on loan to Birmingham this season but after Redknapp left, don't think Cotterill saw a future for him and sent him back to Finch Farm. 

I've no doubt that if it weren't for the off-field kerfuffle at Everton, he would be very close to a squad place in the Premier League team. Jonjoe Kenny and Ademola Lookman are featuring regularly, as is Tom Davies... I'd suggest Liam Walsh would have been next cab off the rank, had he not wasted half a season at St Andrews.

Not going to comment on whether you're in for him or not but he's a very, very good player and still only 20.  

26 minutes ago, Hengrovian said:

Hi Shtanley, I'm a Bristol based Yeovil fan who watches YTFC every week for my sins.

We have probably had 60 or 70 loanees at Huish Park over the past decade or so and Liam is easily in the top six we have ever had, all things considered. And that list includes Steven Caulker, Ryan Mason, Andros Townsend, Alex McCarthy, Asmir Begovic, Shaun MacDonald and Leon Best. Oh yes, and Kieran Agard too. :thumbsup:

Liam was with us for four months in 2015/16 season when he was just eighteen. Ran the show in central midfield; busy energetic style, able to compete with bigger, more experienced players and mature beyond his years I'd say. Went out on loan to Birmingham this season but after Redknapp left, don't think Cotterill saw a future for him and sent him back to Finch Farm. 

I've no doubt that if it weren't for the off-field kerfuffle at Everton, he would be very close to a squad place in the Premier League team. Jonjoe Kenny and Ademola Lookman are featuring regularly, as is Tom Davies... I'd suggest Liam Walsh would have been next cab off the rank, had he not wasted half a season at St Andrews.

Not going to comment on whether you're in for him or not but he's a very, very good player and still only 20.  

Amazing! Thanks for this. I’ll read this out on this weekend’s podcast, this kind of insight is much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Amazing! Thanks for this. I’ll read this out on this weekend’s podcast, this kind of insight is much appreciated. 

You're more than welcome! 

ETA - just asked my two lads whether I'd over hyped Liam and one of them said he was the best centre mid he'd ever seen play for Yeovil. Now given he's 17 and been a fan for all our Football League days, that's as good as saying he's the best centre mid we've EVER had full stop. He reminded me also that he won MOM in most of the home games he played.... only caveats I would say is that this was in League 2, not the Championship, and he scored 1 goal in 17 appearances so maybe his goals record needs improving.

Though if he scores goals like this.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=18&v=yv-kIpSuxko

On 12/13/2017 at 22:48, Luxo Jr. said:

When has anyone said "And this is the only signing we will make in January"? 

actually Lee Johnson did (more or less). He said that if we had a fully fit squad he'd only be looking for one player in the January transfer window. We don't have a fully fit squad though, so..... who knows.

3 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

actually Lee Johnson did (more or less). He said that if we had a fully fit squad he'd only be looking for one player in the January transfer window. We don't have a fully fit squad though, so..... who knows.

Although he did say if the right young player becomes available we'll always be interested

3 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

24 minutes ago, hodge said:

Although he did say if the right young player becomes available we'll always be interested

And there is no doubt a healthy layer of bullshit as there always is surrounding transfers. Let the media know we`re not going to recruit loads while behind the scenes we`ve got negotiations going on with three or four serious targets.

If past windows where MA & LJ have been involved are anything to go by we`ll do exactly the opposite of what everyone thinks  and sign one or more players that no-one, least of all us on here, had even realised were on our radar.

We are getting so good at this stuff now that the only thing you can expect is the unexpected.

7 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

And there is no doubt a healthy layer of bullshit as there always is surrounding transfers. Let the media know we`re not going to recruit loads while behind the scenes we`ve got negotiations going on with three or four serious targets.

If past windows where MA & LJ have been involved are anything to go by we`ll do exactly the opposite of what everyone thinks  and sign one or more players that no-one, least of all us on here, had even realised were on our radar.

We are getting so good at this stuff now that the only thing you can expect is the unexpected.

I agree. We've been robbed of players at the last minute before once the media knew what we were doing

Archived