IGNORED

Liam Walsh - Now confirmed signed (merged)

Hazelboy

13 hours ago, Coppello said:

Sounds like quite an exciting player and no doubt an excellent prospect. My only worry is the lack of experience, particularly going into a promotion battle (hopefully). No doubt I'll have egg on my face when he is the key driver for our promotion push. 

I’m not convinced it’s experience we need....quite happy for young, hungry players that don’t blow the team ethic (youngish squad) and the budget, until we know where we’ll end up.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not convinced it’s experience we need....quite happy for young, hungry players that don’t blow the team ethic (youngish squad) and the budget, until we know where we’ll end up.

I`m with you Dave. We can`t keep banging on about our lack of experience forever. Most of our squad now have 2+ years of Championship experience behind them with a lot of it in relegation battles. If we haven`t got enough experience of this level of football now we never will have IMO.

We should just be looking for players that will improve us and fill holes that we have in the squad - if that means they`re from the Premier League, Championship, lower leagues or from abroad I`m OK with it.

The two problems I have with this signing is that it probably means Johnson sees Brownhill as a long term right midfielder because I don't think we'll have two CMs on the bench, and the other is that our midfield will look pretty lightweight with him in there. I've said before how much I like Pack and he wins a lot of headers for us and I feel with Smith, Walsh and Brownhill we're going to miss that presence.

8 minutes ago, WRERE said:

The two problems I have with this signing is that it probably means Johnson sees Brownhill as a long term right midfielder because I don't think we'll have two CMs on the bench, and the other is that our midfield will look pretty lightweight with him in there. I've said before how much I like Pack and he wins a lot of headers for us and I feel with Smith, Walsh and Brownhill we're going to miss that presence.

But even if we sign Walsh, there is no guarantee that he’ll be thrown straight into the first team, a lot of our signings now have to earn their position, get used to the system & style of play before being thrown into the first team, injuries allowing, so it could be months before we see him starting for the first team.

The likes of Pack & Smith are unlikely to lose their starting places anytime soon unless someone is brought in of a much higher caliber. 

4 hours ago, WRERE said:

Think Johnson’s made it pretty clear he doesn’t, but with injuries to a lot of players, needs must.

I think with Walsh if he signs it's likely to be 6 months build up getting used to our system before potentially integrating him as a first team regular next season if he looks up to it. He may appear in the first team before that but wouldn't expect him to be a regular. Perhaps LJ is also anticipating offers for Brownhill/Pack in the summer and getting a replacement early. 

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Is this one probable then?

I see that one or two of our regulars have indicated it is...

I have been told be someone who works up north that theres something in this. Nothing concrete but seems like theres too much talk of it for it to be made up.

On 20/12/2017 at 12:23, hodge said:

think with Walsh if he signs it's likely to be 6 months build up getting used to our system before potentially integrating him as a first team regular next season if he looks up to it. He may appear in the first team before that but wouldn't expect him to be a regular. Perhaps LJ is also anticipating offers for Brownhill/Pack in the summer and getting a replacement early. 

This is bang on.

Think Eliasson; think O’Dowda - even to a degree, Brownhill last year. We’re now buying players who can make a difference to the squad immediately but not make a difference to the team necessarily - we can put them in if needed but we are investing in the potential, and the Future while they learn the game and adapt. 

I’d be more than happy with this one as it seems to totally fit the “DNA”...

9 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Had a look on the Everton forums - they seem to think it'll be a part of a swap deal with JB.

Was worried about this - the only possible saving grace is that swap deals rarely happen any more because agents are too greedy. Swapping players means a smaller transfer fee, meaning a smaller cut for the agent. Otherwise there'd be far more swaps.

Can't see us selling Joe Bryan in January. He is one of our best players, if not our best player and we need him for a promotion bid. He is under a long contract and will be worth more in the summer. I reckon it'll be a case of he'll stay until the summer and if we go up, leave us for a top 6 team, but if no top 6 club comes in for him, stay with us. If we don't go up, he'll be sold to the Premier League. 

1 hour ago, palmerred said:

Can't see us selling Joe Bryan in January. He is one of our best players, if not our best player and we need him for a promotion bid. He is under a long contract and will be worth more in the summer. I reckon it'll be a case of he'll stay until the summer and if we go up, leave us for a top 6 team, but if no top 6 club comes in for him, stay with us. If we don't go up, he'll be sold to the Premier League. 

Agreed. I don't think we'll sell any one from the main first team squad.

21 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Agreed. I don't think we'll sell any one from the main first team squad.

Everyone has their price & no one could begrudge any of this lot from moving on if the opportunity is there for them to double or treble their wages elsewhere.

For the likes of Flint, Reid, Smith, Bryan & Pack, I’m sure they could earn considerably more than they are currently on elsewhere, even at certain other Championship clubs.

And anyone who truly believes we couldn’t lose some of our players this January could be in for a shock, even Man Utd could lose some of their best players if Barcelona or Real Madrid came in for them so we can sure as hell lose some players if a player is offered more elsewhere, we may not like it but that is the reality & while this season has been great for us, there will be clubs that are now aware of our players & just how little they are earning compared to their own players. Even a move to Huddersfield or Brighton can offer them Premier League football & a hike in wages & both are putting up a decent fight to still be there next season. And this is why I’ve been wanting us to sign these players to better contracts as we’ve done with Fielding & Brownhill.

We are very much in a position to have talent picked off & while we’re in a great position to negotiate decent fees, I’d much rather we kept these players & built around them.

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Everyone has their price & no one could begrudge any of this lot from moving on if the opportunity is there for them to double or treble their wages elsewhere.

For the likes of Flint, Reid, Smith, Bryan & Pack, I’m sure they could earn considerably more than they are currently on elsewhere, even at certain other Championship clubs.

And anyone who truly believes we couldn’t lose some of our players this January could be in for a shock, even Man Utd could lose some of their best players if Barcelona or Real Madrid came in for them so we can sure as hell lose some players if a player is offered more elsewhere, we may not like it but that is the reality & while this season has been great for us, there will be clubs that are now aware of our players & just how little they are earning compared to their own players. Even a move to Huddersfield or Brighton can offer them Premier League football & a hike in wages & both are putting up a decent fight to still be there next season. And this is why I’ve been wanting us to sign these players to better contracts as we’ve done with Fielding & Brownhill.

We are very much in a position to have talent picked off & while we’re in a great position to negotiate decent fees, I’d much rather we kept these players & built around them.

I don't think we'll sell any of our main squad this January. Some may be allowed to go in the summer depending on our situation.

25 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Some of what you say is true, but it’s in our hands. We had a one year extension clause on Brownhill and Reid, and we’ve not yet executed Bobby’s as we want him to sign a new deal. Josh has now committed his future to the club, so his price tag has rocketed. 

Bobby Reid is the interesting one. We can keep him for another 12 months because of our option to extend his contract but should he not sign a new deal before the end of January I wouldn’t be surprised if the club listened to high offers for him, based on in the summer he’ll only have 12 months left.

Joe Bryan, Aden Flint, Pack, Korey and Pato are all contracted until the end of next season and we have a one year extension option we can trigger, so the still have 2.5 years on their current deals. We are firmly in the driving seat with any of those players and we won’t be looking to sale any of them in January.

To get us to sell Joe Bryan I honestly reckon the club won’t even consider selling unless it’s in the region of £25m and includes add ons and percentage of future sale clause. You rightly say a Premier League club May pay that, and if they did no one would begrudge the club selling. But we aren’t going to worry about the players wanting higher wages when they have 2.5 years on their current deal, and unless a club is willing to put up serious money, the club wouldn’t consider selling.

The only player I could see being sold is Bobby Reid if someone came in with 10-15m, based on him not signing a new deal and we won’t want to lose him cheap. 

But if someone offers to double or treble your current wage to do the same work as you currently do or even offers you an instant promotion (no waiting around until the summer), it’s going to turn your head, none of our players will be earning the big bucks & unless we give that core a deal in line with what they currently deserve, they may well want out, even an extra £8k p/w now is a considerable amount of money to someone who is currently only earning that, it doesn’t sound a lot in football terms but in the real world it could very much help sort someone in their mid 20’s out for life.

Like you said, Reid is currently the most interesting one, he’s never moved club & it’s only really this season that he’s been a first team starter so he’s unlikely to be on very much at all wage wise & his agent won’t be shy in letting potential suitors know this & most clubs in the Championship could probably offer him more than he’s on here & turn his head, we then have another Flint situation on our hands.

As has been pointed out many times on here, us fans love the club & if it was us we’d play for nothing, until it’s your job & then you hear you could earn more & make yourself & your family comfortable for life by moving elsewhere. It’s not just the basic wage but the signing on fee & potential bonuses, they’ll all be higher & in line with the higher basic wage, we aren’t talking small change here, we’re talking sums that most of us could only dream about.

Birmingham were rumoured to of been offering Flint about £20k p/w, I’d be surprised if he’s on half of that here so he’s already potentially lost out on £250,000 just in basic salary!! It’s a lot of money to expect someone to just give up on & yes I know they have contracts but is it really worth keeping unhappy players around the place? Look what a mess we were in with Tomlin playing up last season & that wasn’t for financial reasons.

Archived