IGNORED

Liam Walsh - Now confirmed signed (merged)

Hazelboy

11 minutes ago, palmerred said:

Just because those clubs drop said players, doesn’t mean you have to. Also Virgil requested a transfer in the summer, but Southampton won’t sell him. 

And what good is it doing them? Paying a player to not even do what he’s paid to do! It’s not beneficial for the club & can only lead to disruption! The players still have their contract that you claim are so important but it just means the clubs have an unhappy player in their ranks & then things can start to turn toxic, look how great things were for us when we had a toxic influence in our squad, is it really worth running the risk? I’d say not, especially as things are going so well for us currently.

Surely the idea is to try & keep a happy camp? So why potentially risk that?

Like I said, we’re not going to agree on this & I’m bored of it but if it can happen to players at Southampton & Liverpool, it can happen at Bristol City.

2 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

And what good is it doing them? Paying a player to not even do what he’s paid to do! It’s not beneficial for the club & can only lead to disruption! The players still have their contract that you claim are so important but it just means the clubs have an unhappy player in their ranks & then things can start to turn toxic, look how great things were for us when we had a toxic influence in our squad, is it really worth running the risk? I’d say not, especially as things are going so well for us currently.

Surely the idea is to try & keep a happy camp? So why potentially risk that?

Like I said, we’re not going to agree on this & I’m bored of it but if it can happen to players at Southampton & Liverpool, it can happen at Bristol City.

I think the key issue is, Southampton last season made him there highest earner and he signed a 6 year contract, which was huge commitment for the club. Now he is sort of back stabbing them and they are just trying to teach him a lesson. 

6 minutes ago, palmerred said:

I think the key issue is, Southampton last season made him there highest earner and he signed a 6 year contract, which was huge commitment for the club. Now he is sort of back stabbing them and they are just trying to teach him a lesson. 

And who is benefiting from it? No one, so what’s the point. It certainly isn’t going to help things.

They are on a run of no win in 7 games now, 4 nil down & yet they have arguably their best defender sat at home watching Christmas tv & doing what he wants or they could sell him for a reasonable price & reinvest the money on better players throughout the squad which would surely benefit them more than the current situation........

This could quite easily be our club in a few weeks time!

11 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

And who is benefiting from it? No one, so what’s the point. It certainly isn’t going to help things.

They are on a run of no win in 7 games now, 4 nil down & yet they have arguably their best defender sat at home watching Christmas tv & doing what he wants or they could sell him for a reasonable price & reinvest the money on better players throughout the squad which would surely benefit them more than the current situation........

This could quite easily be our club in a few weeks time!

That is the problem, no one has offered what they think he is worth. When they do he'll be sold. 

7 minutes ago, palmerred said:

That is the problem, no one has offered what they think he is worth. When they do he'll be sold. 

And in the meantime they are paying their highest earner & arguably their best player to sit at home while they continue to not win games.

And what happens if nobody meets their ridiculously high valuation? He just stays at home getting paid a very good wage to do nothing? And it’s not like he’s been a £70m player at any stage this season (when he has bothered to play) so why would anyone spend such a ridiculous sum on a player that has shown where his loyalty lies?

This could easily happen to us, it’s a job to these players at the end of the day, as it is to all our players.

4 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

And in the meantime they are paying their highest earner & arguably their best player to sit at home while they continue to not win games.

And what happens if nobody meets their ridiculously high valuation? He just stays at home getting paid a very good wage to do nothing? And it’s not like he’s been a £70m player at any stage this season (when he has bothered to play) so why would anyone spend such a ridiculous sum on a player that has shown where his loyalty lies?

This could easily happen to us, it’s a job to these players at the end of the day, as it is to all our players.

It sets a precedent, if he wants to waste away his career, Southampton will allow him to. Otherwise he should be giving all for the club paying his wages and if someone comes in and matches the valuation he'll be allowed to leave. 

9 minutes ago, palmerred said:

It sets a precedent, if he wants to waste away his career, Southampton will allow him to. Otherwise he should be giving all for the club paying his wages and if someone comes in and matches the valuation he'll be allowed to leave. 

But it’s his job, he has no loyalty to the club, he has a contract that means Southampton have to continue to pay him his record wage for Southampton to sit on his arse & continue to watch them struggle, he’s clearly not bothered.

He may even have a clause in his contract that allows him to leave if Southampton are relegated & they are currently 3 points off the drop having played a game more than everyone around them.

Those very same clauses could be in our players contracts, I just don’t understand why anyone would want to risk the clubs wellbeing, put said player up for sale at a reasonable price & get those players away from the club asap, look what good it did us to get rid of the toxic influence that was infesting our club.

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But it’s his job, he has no loyalty to the club, he has a contract that means Southampton have to continue to pay him his record wage for Southampton to sit on his arse & continue to watch them struggle, he’s clearly not bothered.

He may even have a clause in his contract that allows him to leave if Southampton are relegated & they are currently 3 points off the drop having played a game more than everyone around them.

Those very same clauses could be in our players contracts, I just don’t understand why anyone would want to risk the clubs wellbeing, put said player up for sale at a reasonable price & get those players away from the club asap, look what good it did us to get rid of the toxic influence that was infesting our club.

Of course he should have loyalty to Southampton, they pay his wages !

No one is risking any clubs wellbeing !

Players can't dictate to clubs, that's the fact. The clubs are always the ones in the seat of power. 

6 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Johnson already admitted that England have been watching Bryan.

He won’t go in Jan unless it’s silly money, like £20M+. We don’t need to sell our best players.

Serious question - is there a better English LB than Bryan at the moment?

I love Joe but if he is the best LB we have, or even close to it, England are in a truly dire state. 

23 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

I hope what you’re saying is correct as I don’t particularly want us to sign him & definitely not at the fees that are rumoured to be doing the rounds but there’s another example of a player becoming unsettled because of hearing what he could potentially earn elsewhere!

One of the regular Preston fans on here has said that he had handed in a transfer request during the summer because Reading were prepared to offer him £20k p/w after having an £8m bid rejected! Preston have offered him new contracts but he’s refused them as he wants to leave & that same person has said in the Hugill thread that Preston are aware of our interest in him & seems to have some inside knowledge at Preston.

Players become unsettled, especially when they know they can earn so much more money elsewhere, agents are trying to earn extra money for themselves however they can & will ‘stir the pot’ however they can.

Yes the highest bid we rejected for Hugill was £8m fee + 20k a week from Reading, which lead to his transfer request. Wolves were interested but never actually bid throughout the summer.

I spoke to someone very well-connected and well-placed to know these types on things on Saturday at home to Forest who said that it's been communicated to PNE via whatever means (agent manoeuvring, perhaps even club contact etc etc.) that Bristol City will go in for Hugill with a large bid in January.

We'll just have to see how it unfolds and what becomes public throughout the window, because I'd expect you to probably have some cheaper alternatives lined up too, but what from I'd heard it sounded like you're ready to go all in for Hugill.

6 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Yes the highest bid we rejected for Hugill was £8m fee + 20k a week from Reading, which lead to his transfer request. Wolves were interested but never actually bid throughout the summer.

I spoke to someone very well-connected and well-placed to know these types on things on Saturday at home to Forest who said that it's been communicated to PNE via whatever means (agent manoeuvring, perhaps even club contact etc etc.) that Bristol City will go in for Hugill with a large bid in January.

We'll just have to see how it unfolds and what becomes public throughout the window, because I'd expect you to probably have some cheaper alternatives lined up too, but what from I'd heard it sounded like you're ready to go all in for Hugill.

Do you know how long he has left on his contract?

8 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

I know for a fact at present there has been no approach from BCFC for Hugill. We haven't even scouted him. Kyle Vassell and Devante Cole have both been scouted recently and definitely fit our profile of signings better. I don't believe for one minute we will bid £10m+ for a 25yo, with very little sell on value. 

11 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Do you know how long he has left on his contract?

18 months, so if we want to we can hold out until the summer when we probably would definitely have to sell before his value started to drop with his contract in its final year. Depends how high the offers are in January, doubt you're the only ones seriously interested but heard your the most interested at this stage.

7 minutes ago, palmerred said:

I know for a fact at present there has been no approach from BCFC for Hugill. We haven't even scouted him. Kyle Vassell and Devante Cole have both been scouted recently and definitely fit our profile of signings better. I don't believe for one minute we will bid £10m+ for a 25yo, with very little sell on value. 

To be fair, there probably has been no official approach yet but lots of stuff goes off behind the scenes prior to January. Someone on our forum posted in mid-December last year that Bailey Wright was going to Bristol City for 600k in January, so it shows how much can be done prior to the window opening. Johnson said after our win at Ashton Gate that he's watched us himself several times.

12 minutes ago, palmerred said:

There’s been no approach because it isn’t January yet. You can get 50% of a deal done before making a formal approach. 

Ive heard from people close to the club, and I quote, “don’t be surprised if we spend over £7-8m, or even more, in January” 

1 minute ago, pnefcok said:

18 months, so if we want to we can hold out until the summer when we probably would definitely have to sell before his value started to drop with his contract in its final year. Depends how high the offers are in January, doubt you're the only ones seriously interested but heard your the most interested at this stage.

To be fair, there probably has been no official approach yet but lots of stuff goes off behind the scenes prior to January. Someone on our forum posted in mid-December last year that Bailey Wright was going to Bristol City for 600k in January, so it shows how much can be done prior to the window opening. Johnson said after our win at Ashton Gate that he's watched us himself several times.

Bailey was linked with us for a long while and we wanted him in the summer but we ran out of time to sign him. My neighbour works for your lot and is involved in staff management and arrangements. He often speaks to scouts coming to watch and we have watched a couple of your players but Hugill is not one of them. I asked him if we were interested in Hugill and he adamantly said No. We have scouted Ben Pearson and in the summer we were looking at Andy Boyle who was going to be a target if Flint was sold. I would not be surprised if we made an approach for Boyle is Baker's injury is bad or if there is renewed interest in Flint. 
I think Pearson would have been a target until he signed a new contract with you lot earlier in the season.

I would be very surprised if we made any approach for Hugill, in fact if by February 1st Jordan Hugill is wearing a Bristol City shirt I'll donate £100 to the forum. It simply won't happen.

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

There’s been no approach because it isn’t January yet. You can get 50% of a deal done before making a formal approach. 

Ive heard from people close to the club, and I quote, “don’t be surprised if we spend over £7-8m, or even more, in January” 

I also have heard we will spend money, but it will be on 2/3 players and a couple of loans as well. But there won't be any £10m single signings, especially for a striker who is similar to Duric and Diedhou. 

34 minutes ago, palmerred said:

Bailey was linked with us for a long while and we wanted him in the summer but we ran out of time to sign him. My neighbour works for your lot and is involved in staff management and arrangements. He often speaks to scouts coming to watch and we have watched a couple of your players but Hugill is not one of them. I asked him if we were interested in Hugill and he adamantly said No. We have scouted Ben Pearson and in the summer we were looking at Andy Boyle who was going to be a target if Flint was sold. I would not be surprised if we made an approach for Boyle is Baker's injury is bad or if there is renewed interest in Flint. 
I think Pearson would have been a target until he signed a new contract with you lot earlier in the season.

I would be very surprised if we made any approach for Hugill, in fact if by February 1st Jordan Hugill is wearing a Bristol City shirt I'll donate £100 to the forum. It simply won't happen.

Folk on our forum hearing similar to me - http://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthread.php?104791-If-Hugill-is-sold&p=2506070&viewfull=1#post2506070

Clearly we've just heard different things so that's that. We'll just have to wait and see what happens mate.

I'd be very surprised if you signed Boyle to be honest, and surprised if you even looked at him in the first place really. He's nowhere near good enough for this level and has been way out of favour under both Grayson and Neil.

Pearson has just signed until 2021.

6 hours ago, pnefcok said:

Folk on our forum hearing similar to me - http://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthread.php?104791-If-Hugill-is-sold&p=2506070&viewfull=1#post2506070

Clearly we've just heard different things so that's that. We'll just have to wait and see what happens mate.

I'd be very surprised if you signed Boyle to be honest, and surprised if you even looked at him in the first place really. He's nowhere near good enough for this level and has been way out of favour under both Grayson and Neil.

Pearson has just signed until 2021.

A lot of our signings with Johnson and MA have not exactly been household names and questionable. Most are young with potential, good team spirit players and could fit into the Bristol City way, I think that’s why we’ve bought cheap, and when young and given each 12-18 months to develop. Last year we made a number of signings who weren’t ready and many of Johnson’s signings were being questioned and most are now beginning to become fruitful. We’ve got players coming through and getting better and developing and those are the players we seem to be going for. Already established players want big money and cost big money and don’t fit the clubs current DNA. 

14 hours ago, palmerred said:

Given how you've phrased this... who fancies a drive to Preston to get a picture with Hugill in a City shirt...? :whistle:

Archived