IGNORED

Red'N'White Night

CTIDhc

People really like to moan on here - the club put out a statement saying the "Supporter groups" are calling on fans to create red & white night and so people jump on the 'club' for 'plastic', artificial Bristol Sport branding exercise. For christ's sake just give the club bashing a break.

21 minutes ago, hantsred said:

People really like to moan on here - the club put out a statement saying the "Supporter groups" are calling on fans to create red & white night and so people jump on the 'club' for 'plastic', artificial Bristol Sport branding exercise. For christ's sake just give the club bashing a break.

Especially when we’ve had RedNWhite nights for years before ‘Bristol Sport’. 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Fan culture means different things to different people. Some people just want to go and watch the game, some want to sing, some want to stand, some want to sit. Some want to bring their kids into a kid-friendly environment. Every type of fan should be considered and accommodated.

Bristol Sport has provided an area for our most vociferous support to gather, at the heart of the stadium, where standing is tolerated and flag waving is permitted. Not everyone wants to wave a flag but for those that do, the opportunity is there. They have also built a stadium that not only respects our heritage but actively celebrates it.

The atmosphere in stadiums might not be what it once was. But that is a broader issue reflecting the changing demographic of football supporters, and the blame for that does not lie at Bristol Sport’s door. I simply don’t buy into this anti-BS rhetoric.

If the club don't say/do anything then they are "out of touch/don't care/against the fans"

If the club do say/do something then it is "corporate/plastic"

They cannot win.

12 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Imo the actions of the club generally do very little to promote atmosphere. This time, because they are on the telly, they want to promote the brand to the max. 

Plastic. 

It is contrived and plastic. It is also approaching Christmas, what would you propose that would be different? 

4 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Any one else heard the rumour that under each seat there will be a festive carrot, a bit like clackers the thinking appears to be it will make a hell of a racket if we crunch in unison.

So thats why the Aldi's Kevin the Carrot toy and family has "Sold Out" - We've got them all under the seats at Ashton Gate!! :laugh:

16 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Imo the actions of the club generally do very little to promote atmosphere. This time, because they are on the telly, they want to promote the brand to the max. 

Plastic. 

The Brand?? Red and White (and Red and White nights) have been associated with the club long before the notion of ‘the brand’. Not sure how trying to get the stands filled with red and white can be seen as a negative but I suppose when things are going well there’s less to moan about than normal. 

4 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Any one else heard the rumour that under each seat there will be a festive carrot, a bit like clackers the thinking appears to be it will make a hell of a racket if we crunch in unison.

Bloody hell we don’t want to eat any more carrots with our bright lights!

41 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The Brand?? Red and White (and Red and White nights) have been associated with the club long before the notion of ‘the brand’. Not sure how trying to get the stands filled with red and white can be seen as a negative but I suppose when things are going well there’s less to moan about than normal. 

Only time this red n white gig  took off was when Bristol Sport gave away free Bristol Sport scarves.

Might have well have been called arse flat night in the past.

Why?

Tis and was plastic.

7 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Fan culture means different things to different people. Some people just want to go and watch the game, some want to sing, some want to stand, some want to sit. Some want to bring their kids into a kid-friendly environment. Every type of fan should be considered and accommodated.

Bristol Sport has provided an area for our most vociferous support to gather, at the heart of the stadium, where standing is tolerated and flag waving is permitted. Not everyone wants to wave a flag but for those that do, the opportunity is there. They have also built a stadium that not only respects our heritage but actively celebrates it.

The atmosphere in stadiums might not be what it once was. But that is a broader issue reflecting the changing demographic of football supporters, and the blame for that does not lie at Bristol Sport’s door. I simply don’t buy into this anti-BS rhetoric.

Pretty sure fan culture will mean to many that fans are at the front or centre of that culture. what you are talking about there is something which fans are not involved in very very often. fans have contacted BS about celebrating fan culture and the history in the Dolman and got a big knock back. BS said no to putting up a red Gerry Gow flag in the Dolman. The opportunity is not there. 

I think it's great and many people get enjoyment out of it. The club were merely promoting the idea put forward by a supporter group which is a good gesture as far as I'm concerned, encouraging and supporting fan initiatives. 

Plus, it looks good on tv, youngsters enjoy being part of it and it adds to the experience. I tend to think people are too fast to get on their high horses; in this case about something that is a bit of fun for all to enjoy.

Fingers crossed it helps add to a cracking atmosphere too. COYR!

4 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

Might have missed this on otib but who are the supporter group promoting this red and white night? 

I don’t know but personally I would rather we ‘ignored’ ManU and did a red and white night/afternoon for some other match. Too late now but I think it would have been better say on Boxing Day, or even against Forest on Saturday as a tribute to the little lad who lost his fight against cancer. 

Im getting pretty sick of this ManU hype (probably because I hate them, if it were Arsenal or someone else I might feel differently)

The club has called Red'N'White nights long before Bristol Sport got involved and they have always helped to ensure the atmosphere is different from usual. Also, am I right in thinking we are yet to lose on a Red'N'White night? 

Given that this tradition was started for a derby game and other derby games since have been Red'N'White nights, as well as (I think) games against Swindon, I don't see it being 'plastic', or 'against fan culture' to do it against Manchester. We have done it when we were plodding along in the 3rd tier in matches no-one outside Wurzel-Country cared about and I am sure we will do that again after the 'Special One' and his circus have moved on.

The fact is we have performed well on previous Red'N'White nights and the atmosphere in those games has been great.

If anything, Bristol Sport are just encouraging us to carry on a fan-led tradition. 

50 minutes ago, BrightCiderLife said:

The club has called Red'N'White nights long before Bristol Sport got involved and they have always helped to ensure the atmosphere is different from usual. Also, am I right in thinking we are yet to lose on a Red'N'White night? 

Given that this tradition was started for a derby game and other derby games since have been Red'N'White nights, as well as (I think) games against Swindon, I don't see it being 'plastic', or 'against fan culture' to do it against Manchester. We have done it when we were plodding along in the 3rd tier in matches no-one outside Wurzel-Country cared about and I am sure we will do that again after the 'Special One' and his circus have moved on.

The fact is we have performed well on previous Red'N'White nights and the atmosphere in those games has been great.

If anything, Bristol Sport are just encouraging us to carry on a fan-led tradition. 

I agree with everything you say, apart from your final comment about Bristol Sport.  This appears to be an initiative from two supporters groups: the SC&T and Section 82, which has been reported on the BCFC website by the BCFC media team. This has absolutely nothing to do with Bristol Sport, has it? 

1 hour ago, BrightCiderLife said:

Memories a bit sketchy. Helped out via the supporters club thirteen fourteen years back?? Bloke called Pete did flyers and had a bit of help from others to push it and do the odd thing like card displays and balloons. The club started saying no to things and it became to be seen as club v fan led. Pete went on to work for City and BS. Nobody on the fans side took up what he did and the club called red and white nights where there was no difference to be seen or heard at all. red and white night = plastic and contrived in many fans minds. There were seasons without red and white nights at all. thats the history. 

1 hour ago, Gimme Shelton said:

I quite fancy a half n half shirt :whistle:

I remember watching Adrian Chiles wearing a half England, half Croatia shirt before we lost to them under McClaren, meaning we didn't get to the Euros. Boiled my piss that.

4 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Pretty sure fan culture will mean to many that fans are at the front or centre of that culture. what you are talking about there is something which fans are not involved in very very often. fans have contacted BS about celebrating fan culture and the history in the Dolman and got a big knock back. BS said no to putting up a red Gerry Gow flag in the Dolman. The opportunity is not there. 

As I recall, the club have always been against creating something that they can't directly control.

2 hours ago, Dave L said:

I agree with everything you say, apart from your final comment about Bristol Sport.  This appears to be an initiative from two supporters groups: the SC&T and Section 82, which has been reported on the BCFC website by the BCFC media team. This has absolutely nothing to do with Bristol Sport, has it? 

Not 100% bang on Dave. 

A representative of Bristol Sport approached Section 82 enquiring as to any plans of S82 for the cup game and possibly engaging in a joint venture to organise something around the whole ground. 

After lots of conversations and ideas flying around the final outcome was that there wouldn’t be any budget available from the club to organise something specific for the whole ground and so the Bristol Sport representative suggested announcing the Red&White night and urge crowd participation. We at S82 back the idea and hope plenty of fans engage and partake and make the place loud and colourful (as we’d like it to be at every game). 

Section 82 back the club with this initiative but due to us only being a small operation with limited budget we were not really able to fund a mass display for the whole ground as we would have liked. We will be doing our usual in the S82 area and also hope to maybe have a couple of surfers on the go, both in the SS and the Dolman. 

So the Red&White night is the idea/initiative of Bristol Sport, and Section 82 are happy to endorse it and hope this continues to build the relationship between S82 and BS - as we all know, there was a recent high profile misunderstanding, but in general terms we are seeing improved engagement with BS -   Of course there’s still lots we would like to do but can’t within the SAG regulations, but we’re happy with the dialogue we get with BS. 

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not 100% bang on Dave. 

A representative of Bristol Sport approached Section 82 enquiring as to any plans of S82 for the cup game and possibly engaging in a joint venture to organise something around the whole ground. 

After lots of conversations and ideas flying around the final outcome was that there wouldn’t be any budget available from the club to organise something specific for the whole ground and so the Bristol Sport representative suggested announcing the Red&White night and urge crowd participation. We at S82 back the idea and hope plenty of fans engage and partake and make the place loud and colourful (as we’d like it to be at every game). 

Section 82 back the club with this initiative but due to us only being a small operation with limited budget we were not really able to fund a mass display for the whole ground as we would have liked. We will be doing our usual in the S82 area and also hope to maybe have a couple of surfers on the go, both in the SS and the Dolman. 

So the Red&White night is the idea/initiative of Bristol Sport, and Section 82 are happy to endorse it and hope this continues to build the relationship between S82 and BS - as we all know, there was a recent high profile misunderstanding, but in general terms we are seeing improved engagement with BS -   Of course there’s still lots we would like to do but can’t within the SAG regulations, but we’re happy with the dialogue we get with BS. 

fans in the Dolman near the away fans have not been allowed to display flags has that changed now? 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Not 100% bang on Dave. 

After lots of conversations and ideas flying around the final outcome was that there wouldn’t be any budget available from the club

Played that joint venture card before myself

Approach Mates and propose a Saturday night out.

On the seventh pint and my shout climb out the toilet window.

1 hour ago, Trueredsupporte said:

fans in the Dolman near the away fans have not been allowed to display flags has that changed now? 

I don’t know much about that to be honest, but the clubs press statement says you can bring flags into the ground, so presume they are ok for this to be in the Dolman too. I guess, if it were to happen v Manchester and the world didn’t end, maybe BS can be convinced there isn’t an issue? 

Archived