IGNORED

Star Wars The Last Jedi

BS3_RED

Bar a couple of good moments, I also thought it was underwhelming. No significant twists or depth, just felt superficial and lacklustre. 

Too many Marvel like quips, annoying characters (liked Rey more this time round up until the end and Kylo is somewhat interesting), plot holes. The more I think about it the worse it gets... 

So many directions they could have taken the new trilogy in and it's just a rehash of the old films.

1 hour ago, Northamptonshire Red said:

Bar a couple of good moments, I also thought it was underwhelming. No significant twists or depth, just felt superficial and lacklustre. 

Too many Marvel like quips, annoying characters (liked Rey more this time round up until the end and Kylo is somewhat interesting), plot holes. The more I think about it the worse it gets... 

So many directions they could have taken the new trilogy in and it's just a rehash of the old films.

I feel the same after watching it tonight. I was really disappointed. Much preferred the look and feel of Rogue One.

My wife and I went to see it last night. I had purposely swerved all reviews (whether online, in print or on telly) and just went in cold, having only watched the trailer.

Is it the best of the 8 films? Not by a long way. But neither is it the worst. Overall I enjoyed it. And I reckon there were open threads to warrant a sequel (you heard it here first.)

The opening music and text crawl still gets me giddy as a little kid: not least for the fact that my wife chose, as a total surprise to me, to walk down the aisle at our wedding to the Star Wars theme played on the church organ.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Star Wars franchise do something similar to what Marvel is doing with their movies, each movie is starting to be set as a different genre. Ant-Man was a heist movie, Winter Soldier being a political thriller sort of thing, while you know roughly what you're getting from Marvel, the different genres allow something different each time. Also move away from this time period! There's been rumblings about them going to the time period of the game the old republic, I know its no longer canon but I would love a film about the Mandalorians for example, Mandalorian wars with Revan and Jedi Civil war too, only thing would be all fans would know whats coming if they stuck to the content of the game but all the other stuff was based before the game so a fair amount of creative license with that. 

I didn't go to see Rogue as I felt that Star Wars films had nothing new to ' say ' however , at a loose end , I went to see The Last Jedi and thoroughly enjoyed it .

There were only six other people in the theatre so perhaps there is too much exposure.

Like a previous poster mentioned, the opening sequence makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up . I still remember queuing up on the pavement to watch the first Star Wars at the Odeon , Weston .

Popular culture changed from that day on.

As for TLJ , I liked the fact that Luke and Leia were played by the original stars , old farts , like me , can still kick ass ! 

There was an agreeable continuity.

The theme is  a bit tired now but the film was well done and there were some little plot twists which kept it interesting.

My gripe is the cash cow that these sequels are .

On 14/12/2017 at 20:38, hodge said:

Flip side I was pretty underwhelmed by it

Following on from that Bah humbug anti Christmas thread. I saw the first Star Wars film forty years ago. I came out of the cinema wondering what everyone was raving about.

Archived