IGNORED

Reading

Betty Swallocks

29 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Know Boxing Day games are usually well attended but hadn’t realised the Reading game had been selling so well. 

Could we see well over 50k pass through the turnstiles in the space of 6 days? 

first game for new half season card holders as well, which helps a bit.

28 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

15 left in the dolman, South stand and lower Lansdown has sold out and they've opened all bar one block of the upper Lansdown. 

Could easily be our first league sell out

Birmingham last game of the season was a sell out.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Birmingham last game of the season was a sell out.

Although it was only a tenner a ticket, or something like that. 

This looks like it will easily break our league record revenue take for a single game. As long as Reading bring a decent amount of 2k plus. 

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Although it was only a tenner a ticket, or something like that. 

This looks like it will easily break our league record revenue take for a single game. As long as Reading bring a decent amount of 2k plus. 

Any idea how many they have sold? Would have thought they would bring a few as Boxing Day and a short trip. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

Any idea how many they have sold? Would have thought they would bring a few as Boxing Day and a short trip. 

They were given an "initial" allocation of 1504 which they have not yet sold out of

Their supporters were moaning about the £32 ticket price on their forum so maybe that is putting some off?

1 hour ago, phantom said:

They were given an "initial" allocation of 1504 which they have not yet sold out of

Their supporters were moaning about the £32 ticket price on their forum so maybe that is putting some off?

Can't blame them when they only charged us £20 - Should be reciprocated. 

7 minutes ago, MurrayLives said:

Yes this is puzzling. I thought the whole league had signed up to this initiative. 20 quid is plenty for away supporters frankly what with the travel costs. 

It is a real pity BCFC have to gouge so much.. Sorry but that is what i think. I know the club are far from alone but it does not make it right.

8 minutes ago, MurrayLives said:

i thought they had said they would charge clubs £20 if the opposition would do the same for their supporters( unless that was last year )so i am surprised we are charging £32 for them.

• Admin
51 minutes ago, gordie said:

i thought they had said they would charge clubs £20 if the opposition would do the same for their supporters( unless that was last year )so i am surprised we are charging £32 for them.

I thought that too, but have been unable to find anything on line 

Personally I think that is pretty outrageous. I know there are differences in costs for security, policing, and whatever else, but if they charged us £20 I'd like to think we would be able to do the same.

It might be a crazy suggestion, but I personally would be happy to contribute £12 (perhaps £6 would be better then over the two matches each fan has paid equally) towards a ticket for a Reading fan who otherwise wouldn't go for £32. I appreciate there will be people who weren't able to do that, or didn't want to, but it would make quite a statement I feel if even a small group did something like that to highlight the feeling that there should be a level playing field for fans within the same league.

When you've got your own club's fans subsidising tickets for away fans I think it would hit home to those involved in pricing that they have got it wrong.

The principle of £20's plenty is fine, but although Reading have tried to promote it we certainly haven't signed up to it, neither do I think we should. Every club is different (attendances, parachute payments, wage budget etc...) for example Burton compared to Villa. Reading look like struggling to sell their 1500 tickets  for Boxing Day, whereas we took over 3000 to the Madjeski. If we both charged £20 per ticket their income is £60,000 compared to our £30,000. Also, Reading  have an incentive to reduce prices as they are pretty poorly supported (failed to sell out their play-off final allocation last season - 3,000 empty seats, or their own stadium, capacity only 24000, for the semi against Fulham which is almost a local derby, they also only had 11600 v Cardiff last Monday night!)

Unfortunately there's no level playing field in football (no pun intended), each club is a commercial business with a business plan based on its circumstances. Ticket prices form a very significant part of that calculation. Also, on another note, if we charge away fans £20, should we also be charging home fans less? I appreciate many would say yes, as football is so expensive, but for a club like City with no parachute payments, and only recently improving 'non-football' income, gate receipts are crucial. Steve Lansdown has frequently stated the club (Bristol Sport etc) needs to get to the point of being self-sufficient. 

Maybe if/when (delete as appropriate) we get to the Premier League and we benefit from the millions of TV money on offer we'll be in a position to offer away fans reduced prices, especially as the full away allocation would be pretty much sold every week (along with the rest of the stadium). Having said that, if we can sell out every week and it's better quality football why would we reduce prices...supply & demand etc?

Discuss...

Archived