IGNORED

John Galley in the Supporters club tomorrow (Merged)

Dollymarie

38 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/galley-back-at-the-gate/

John Galley who played for both City and Forest will be in the Supporters Club and Trust bar after tomorrow’s game. Everyone welcome :) 

That photo was him scoring in opening day game  v Watford 1969  we won 1-0  !

EDIT  Would it be possible for Adam B to do a brief interview with the great man.......for all us old'uns who hero worshiped him ?

Fantastic player. My boyhood hero. 90 odd goals in 190 odd games.  A target man like him today would be be a 20m plus player today’s values . 30k comes to mind when we signed him 

younger fans here will naturally be a bit clue less about him but him :clapping:and a young Chris Garland and John Galley were a bit special. 

15 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Fantastic player. My boyhood hero. 90 odd goals in 190 odd games.  A target man like him today would be be a 20m plus player today’s values . 30k comes to mind when we signed him 

younger fans here will naturally be a bit clue less about him but him :clapping:and a young Chris Garland and John Galley were a bit special. 

5k less than that !

Truely gutted about this, what bloody bad timing for me. JG was and still is my all time hero. I am at the game sat but I need to rush home for a family Xmas meal. Of all the days, what a bummer, would have loved to meet him. For you oldies going let’s just hope you get to have a chat with him. Best £25 City ever spent. Bugger bugger bugger.

2 minutes ago, Red Rag said:

Truely gutted about this, what bloody bad timing for me. JG was and still is my all time hero. I am at the game sat but I need to rush home for a family Xmas meal. Of all the days, what a bummer, would have loved to meet him. For you oldies going let’s just hope you get to have a chat with him. Best £25 City ever spent. Bugger bugger bugger.

Same as me :grr:

1 minute ago, DT The Optimist said:

Wow. Even better than I thought recalled through the decades:facepalm:  I also recall up front at Sheffield Wednesday we won 5 1. Was it another forward alongside him. Peter Spiring ring s bell. 

I was there ,I think the scoring went Galley 3.....Garland..2 ,,,,,,Emanuel 1  Don't think Spiring played, but could well have done.

3 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

That was the forward line when I started going, loved that team.

4 hours ago, Red Rag said:

If ever you needed proof of inflation?

6 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Hear Hear!

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I remember Peter Spiring, a young lad from Glastonbury who we sold to Liverpool for £60k and was never heard of again.  Inspiring deal.

Peter Spiring (born 13 December 1950 in Glastonbury) is an English former footballer who played in the Football League playing as a Winger for Bristol City, Luton Town and Hereford United, and in the North American Soccer League(NASL) for Washington Darts.

Spiring started his career at Bristol City before being sold to Liverpool for £60,000 in March 1973. He did not play a first team match at Anfield, only featuring on the bench twice, and was later sold to Luton Town for £70,000. He went on to spend eight seasons at Hereford United.

Spiring's son Reuben played first-class cricket for Worcestershire.

Its nice going down memory lane.  Recall him playing along side JG on a few occasions.  Even Liverpool made a profit on him.  Never played a game for them !

JG Wiki is just as interesting  

Archived