IGNORED

Winning ugly again

Robbored

10 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Pack our weak link? An absolutely outrageous shout 

Why do people find it so hard to recognise his ability... technically he's our best football, can see things and play balls that no one else can in this team 

Today he was generally slower than his team mates , lost the ball often and put at least one ' pass ' directly out of play.

I think Pack is capable of more than he realises and hope he pushes through .

Why do some people over rate him ? 

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Today he was generally slower than his team mates , lost the ball often and put at least one ' pass ' directly out of play.

I think Pack is capable of more than he realises and hope he pushes through .

Why do some people over rate him ? 

You're wrong 

Don’t agree it was ugly.  

We dominated the first half, they had one good chance from the ex-Rovers player and one cross shot that FF could’ve left.  We created lots of space in the final third, and fully deserved our lead.  Was surprised Forest came out and made a bit of a game of it.  I thought they might give up.  Even though it was more of a contest, worldie goal apart, they had a shot from Osborn and a mishit shot from a cross....that was all.

We were a bit sloppy with the ball second half, but still pleasing on the eye at times.  Their keeper kept them in it.  So wanted Taylor’s shot to be a tap-in for Reid.

Not an ugly win.

No team dominates 90 minutes, and when boosted by a great goal, a team like a Forest are always gonna have ‘moments’....but we didn’t allow them many.

We are a good team...think we’ll go the distance.

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Sorry but do you seriously think he's technically our best footballer?

He is good technically - best? Not sure.  Just lacks that yard of pace to be a top player.  Brownhill’s emergence has meant we’ve started to undervalue Pack, but he still has a place in our midfield, even if not week in week out.

Just got home.

Funny feeling diving up, just could not shake the feeling we would win. Not often I feel like that. Thought we looked by far the most dangerous team first half. Having said that, assumed Bryan's goal most have taken a big deflection, and watching the highlights just seems the goalie lost sight of it.

Real shame about their goal, good as it was, as it shaped the second half when I thought we might push on. Even so, still thought we were the most likely to score.

Decent game, Forest did not try just to stifle the match. Driving back, just felt like a regulation home win.

Looking forward, after QPR we have Wolves, Villa and Derby in the next five. Good to get them out the way in one sense, but will be tough. At one level we feel put held with sticking plaster at the moment, but one more game ticked off before January is here. As Preston and now Sheff Utd have shown, drop off the pace a little and it can turn in to a bad run very quickly. Equally, win next week and it's 46 points from 23, which is better than I could have dreamed.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I missed Bryans goal as I'd gone for a piss..........:facepalm:

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I actually thought Pack was our weak link .

Good goal though and one shit stopping tackle.

Was it on Robbored? 

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Why do people underrate him?

For the same reason they underestimated Cole Skuse.

The role they both fulfill is an unglamorous  one. Break up opposition play and protect the defence at the same time. Start offensive moves often with simple lay offs or more astute passes. 

Both excellant defensive midfielders.

44 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He does the occasional good cross field pass, and did a couple of great over the top passes earlier in the season. But generally he is a decent hard working midfielder that does a decent job in winning headers and passing the ball backwards and sideways. He is much better when he has time and space and we are well on top. Today he gave it away a lot in the first half and I didn't think it was one of his better games. I think his form has got worse in recent games, having had a very good start to the season. There is no way he is of the technical ability of Bobby, Pato, brownhill or even Korey. All of which are so much better with the ball at their feet in tight situations. Pack often has to go backwards as otherwise he would lose it when facing forward with the ball. I like him, but he isn't a brilliant technical player. 

Beckham was technically gifted. Doesn't mean he was good in tight situations. 

Pack has the ability to see things and play balls like no other in our team. Technically he is better, but lacks skill unlike Pato / Bobby etc. 

I think there is a difference between technical and skill. Lampard was technically brilliant, and someone like Hazard is skilfully brilliant (just to confirm my point, im not saying Pack is Becks/ Lamps)

Pack was quite obviously the best player on the pitch first half,  far better than brownhill. There have been times when josh has played better than pack too, but today he wasn't that good. No one is slagging him though. Yet many on here still see pack as a weak link. It is really starting to baffle me now! 

The last time we lost guess who didn't start. Smith? Brownhill? No pack. Without him to cover, Josh was forced deeper and deeper and showed his weakness defensively. Unable to shepherd a player away from danger and getting caught wrong side. These are packs strengths and off the ball ability is less impressive to look at than on the ball skills. Pack does the ugly stuff well. 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Apart from the goal, I thought he was our worst player first half. He had clearly been told to push further forward than usual, and our fine passing moves often broke down when it got to him. Thought he had a much better second half. But no way would I give him motm. I thought overall Reid was our best player. Pack was better than brownhill on this one occasion. But generally brownhill has been superb for us consistently all season and is much better in the middle of the park. 

Read my edit above. Pack is so underrated it's becoming annoying. 

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Apart from the goal, I thought he was our worst player first half. He had clearly been told to push further forward than usual, and our fine passing moves often broke down when it got to him. Thought he had a much better second half. But no way would I give him motm. I thought overall Reid was our best player. Pack was better than brownhill on this one occasion. But generally brownhill has been superb for us consistently all season and is much better in the middle of the park. 

I can't believe you thought he was our worst player. I don't want to insult you, but really how can you say that? Every attack came through him and he looked far more likely to score than bobby whose passing today was very poor. . Took a worldly to stop him getting a brace. Admittedly  he offloaded to the wing when he should have shot once, but other than that.., he was our most effective player

7 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

@Robbored that really wasn’t winning ugly, we played some beautiful football at times 

I thought our usual 'flow'  wasn't there yesterday. That might have been down to Forest of course.

Maybe I've been spoilt by some of the fantastic stuff we've seen this season. It's very difficult to play well every game.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Johnson is aiming to improve in that position in January. No doubt for johnson pack is behind smith and brownhill when everyone is fit. 

Why? He is doing a good job in a team that keeps winning. For some reason everyone seems to think O'Neil is a good championship player when fit. Why? He was awful last season. Compared to him pack looked world class. Yes we need another holding mid, but as back up rather than replacement. Why change a winning team? 

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thought Bobby was our best player. Just saying pack has his limitations. He struggles with the ball in tight situations, resulting in him often going sideways and backwards. He is also very slow at closing down, and also often gets caught on the break. But he also has plenty of strengths. Works his socks off, great stamina and very strong and good in the air. Has one hell of a shot on him, but unfortunately rarely strikes the ball cleanly. Good passer when given time and space, but again doesnt do it enough for me. I think his recent form has not been of the early season form he showed. At Sheffield united we looked a different team when he came off. Josh and Bobby controlled the ball much quicker and moved the ball forward much quicker. Pack is underrated by some, overrated by others on here. He is a good player, but not a top championship midfielder imo. I think Johnson is aiming to improve in that position in January. No doubt for johnson pack is behind smith and brownhill when everyone is fit. 

What did Reid do to be called best player?  Really puzzling that one. I think you're on your own there. 

As for dropping pack. Fair enough if you can get someone better. But as a team it doesn't get much better than 4 wins in a row. Why change a winning team? 

Many think O'Neill is a better player than pack. They are wrong. 

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I thought our usual 'flow'  wasn't there yesterday. That might have been down to Forest of course.

Maybe I've been spoilt by some of the fantastic stuff we've seen this season. It's very difficult to play well every game.

I see where you are coming from, but when you watch say the Cardiff hull game on sky after. Even when we were playing “badly” it was still better football than these two for example.

i think we are being spoilt to be honest. 

I thought Pack was MOM for me.

He was everywhere.

I thought their goal (which was out of the blue) shocked everyone and gave them momentum.

Although they had one or two chances I thought we managed the game very well.

They had a lot of the ball in their half and I thought we picked them off at the right moment.

We had the better chances and got in behind them on a number of occasions.

That said I thought that was the best Forest side I've seen for a while.

Really impressed with Brereton when he came on and Bridcutt is Korey Mk.II.

Our problem Is the managing the amount of energy expended after each game.

We look very tired and that's a concern for me.

The sooner we can reinforce the better

Archived