IGNORED

1976 promotion to top flight

Top Robin

I am struggling to remember how that season panned out.

Were we at the top for most of the season or did we slowly make our way up there?

I know we went up automatically but I can't remember if there were play off back then or if it was all auto promoted and if so how many.

Be good to be enlightened folks.

12 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I am struggling to remember how that season panned out.

Were we at the top for most of the season or did we slowly make our way up there?

I know we went up automatically but I can't remember if there were play off back then or if it was all auto promoted and if so how many.

Be good to be enlightened folks.

I seem to remember that despite only finishing 3 points above us, that Sunderland were actually always going to be champions, it was then nip and tuck between us West Brom and Bolton from around Xmas onwards.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Is that a "Rothmans"....

I have that book too! Without getting up to check it's called something like "Bristol City - A Complete History" and includes details of every game we had ever played up until 1987 when it was released.

Several articles about players, famous matches, history etc.

An excellent book.

9 hours ago, Red Grovesy said:

There`s a second one too which does a load more seasons with the added bonus of giving a little three line match report on each game as well - that really brought a lot of games I went to back to life for me. It`s amazing how just a few words can conjure up a lot of memories.

I doubt there will ever be another one though with it all online now sadly.

This is a great website, you can see where teams stood after the games. 
Dec 13th 1975 we beat Hull 3-0 and were 3rd in the table.

http://stats.football.co.uk/snapshot_tables/1975_1976/13/dec/bristol_city/index.shtml

here are the games.

http://stats.football.co.uk/results_fixtures/1975_1976/bristol_city/index.shtml

First 5 games gave us 2 wins, a pair of 3-1 defeats and a goal less draw home to the gas.

September Oldham away; one nil up, two one down and that was HT. 2nd half City hit three to win 4-2 and that's when the promotion run started.

October we lost 2-0 at home to WBA, but the result that  suggested were were going up came one cold February night; WBA 0 - City 1. City scored on the stroke of HT and the 2nd half we struggled to get out of our own penalty area, but held on.

As Autumn turned to Winter City beat York 4-1 H & A with both games shown on MOTD.

One odd and probably unique thing was that 1975 Sunderland, City & WBA had finished 4th, 5th & 56th. 1976 the same three teams ended 1st, 2nd & 3rd.

If there had been three points, not two for a win back then though, 4th placed Bolton would have gone up, not City.

Archived