IGNORED

No matter how hard we try we can't break that top two

tinman85

We are on a fantastic run of results  but haven't been able to close the gap on the 2 above us, and as importantly haven't shaken off the teams just below us, tells you just how tough the rest of this season is going to be. I can see the injuries taking their toll over the next few weeks and we might need some good additions to the squad in January to ensure we stay in the race because we are up against some very tough contenders.

Other posters keep saying they can see Cardiff ( and some say Wolves) slipping up, but we are just as likely to slip as them. Will Warnock's experience give them and edge over Lj's more limited experience at this level?

Managers like Bruce and McCarthy have been there, seen it and done it before. so will that count in their favour?

Against all of this, perhaps we are the ones most punching above their weight, so can we sustain it into the new year?

Think we might need to scrap a bit in order to hang in there, but think the team spirit we seem to have could count heavily when it gets down to the wire. Who say the prem is the best league in the world, when the title has effectively been decided before Christmas, when no one can really say which teams will be promoted come the end of the season.

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We certainly can’t underestimate the red/bluebirds under Warnock, they’ve already stuffed Villa and Leeds and won away at Wolves....formidable side....

True, but I'm more concentrating on what we're doing. And hey, it's a hell of a lot prettier than the stuff Colin is dishing up. Rejoice!

Just now, downendcity said:

We are on a fantastic run of results  but haven't been able to close the gap on the 2 above us, and as importantly haven't shaken off the teams just below us, tells you just how tough the rest of this season is going to be. I can see the injuries taking their toll over the next few weeks and we might need some good additions to the squad in January to ensure we stay in the race because we are up against some very tough contenders.

Other posters keep saying they can see Cardiff ( and some say Wolves) slipping up, but we are just as likely to slip as them. Will Warnock's experience give them and edge over Lj's more limited experience at this level?

Managers like Bruce and McCarthy have been there, seen it and done it before. so will that count in their favour?

Against all of this, perhaps we are the ones most punching above their weight, so can we sustain it into the new year?

Think we might need to scrap a bit in order to hang in there, but think the team spirit we seem to have could count heavily when it gets down to the wire. Who say the prem is the best league in the world, when the title has effectively been decided before Christmas, when no one can really say which teams will be promoted come the end of the season.

Two points here

Firstly, Man City are an exceptional side, playing some of the best football ever witnessed by a club side in this country. That is no reflection on the strength of the Premiership, but it is an indication of just how good Guardiola actually is.

Secondly, Looking at us today I would say we look a yard faster than Forest, who are no push-overs themselves. We shaded it all over the pitch  This is the best City side I have seen since 1979, and we have a real shout of nailing this by catching the Taffs. Whoever said it above here is quite right. We could definitely become champions if Wolves or Cardiff slip

2 minutes ago, gow2gooseya said:

Two points here

Firstly, Man City are an exceptional side, playing some of the best football ever witnessed by a club side in this country. That is no reflection on the strength of the Premiership, but it is an indication of just how good Guardiola actually is.

Secondly, Looking at us today I would say we look a yard faster than Forest, who are no push-overs themselves. We shaded it all over the pitch  This is the best City side I have seen since 1979, and we have a real shout of nailing this by catching the Taffs. Whoever said it above here is quite right. We could definitely become champions if Wolves or Cardiff slip

Highly unlikely anyone is gonna catch Wolves. They look good when they are c  rap, if that makes sense. Won't be caught. 2nd up for grabs methinks

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

True, but I'm more concentrating on what we're doing. And hey, it's a hell of a lot prettier than the stuff Colin is dishing up. Rejoice!

Oh I’m rejoicing alright, and quite scarily I’m starting to feel a bit like I did during the infamous 1975/1976 season....I haven’t watched Cardiff this season (apart from when they played us) so I can’t comment on the ‘stuff Colin is dishing up’ - you’ve obviously watched them lots.....but their record speaks for itself .....and Neil is charging towards an 8th promotion....just hope we can hunt them down....

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Oh I’m rejoicing alright, and quite scarily I’m starting to feel a bit like I did during the infamous 1975/1976 season....I haven’t watched Cardiff this season (apart from when they played us) so I can’t comment on the ‘stuff Colin is dishing up’ - you’ve obviously watched them lots.....but their record speaks for itself .....and Neil is charging towards an 8th promotion....just hope we can hunt them down....

They've been on Sky a few times and yes, not been blown away by the football. I'll come clean, I detest his childish antics tbh. Jumping up and down like a spoilt 2 year old when he is losing, and praising the ref when he wins with an offside goal. That and slagging off the Johnson family did it for me with that bloke. Yes, they are doing well, yes so are we. 76?  here's hoping, i was only 14 then , but remember it well

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

They've been on Sky a few times and yes, not been blown away by the football. I'll come clean, I detest his childish antics tbh. Jumping up and down like a spoilt 2 year old when he is losing, and praising the ref when he wins with an offside goal. That and slagging off the Johnson family did it for me with that bloke. Yes, they are doing well, yes so are we. 76?  here's hoping, i was only 14 then , but remember it well

Did he slag off the Johnsons?! What did he say?

4 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Why is it stupid? My point is that squad wouldn't be where they are without Warnock 

Not so sure.  When I look at their squad, I see one with more pedigree than ours....coupled with their manager, who has got them gel’d, I think they are serious contenders.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cardiff-city/startseite/verein/603

I think we become a bit blinkered re the likes of Cardiff and Warnock for a variety of reasons (many valid), but think they are a decent team.  Wish they weren’t.

Highly unlikely that anyone will catch Wolves - as Warnock said, they will probably spend another £15m + in Jan..

Their CEO said last month that whilst they are aware of FFP, it doesn't "shape" their decisions - so take from that what you will.

As for Cardiff, we just need to keep picking up points every week and see where it takes us.They will have a rough spell and we need to be ready to take advantage.

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Couldn't agree more. For Wolves 3-3 read Sunderland away 1-1 in 1976 and Sheff U 2-1 read WBA away 1-0 two weeks or so earlier

We had some games where we played super football but mainly it was grinding out the points. Working hard for the team and a never say die attitude.

Remember everyone, it's a marathon and we've got to keep our points total increasing and not worry about the others yet. As long as it's within our grasp in mid April, that is when we start looking at other team's results. 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not so sure.  When I look at their squad, I see one with more pedigree than ours....coupled with their manager, who has got them gel’d, I think they are serious contenders.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cardiff-city/startseite/verein/603

I think we become a bit blinkered re the likes of Cardiff and Warnock for a variety of reasons (many valid), but think they are a decent team.  Wish they weren’t.

Fair comment but I wonder how they would cope with the number of long term injuries we have had.

Their  (Crapdiff) run in is really tough, if we're in touch at the end of March, I fancy us as their last 6/7 are as hard as it gets in this division! 

December

Bolton Wanderers Bolton Wanderers
Macron Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Bolton Wanderers  A Sat Dec 23 2017 15:00 (UK)
English Football League - Championship
Cardiff City versus Bolton Wanderers, Sat Dec 23 2017,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Bolton Wanderers, Sat Dec 23 2017,Tickets / Hospitality info Cardiff City versus Bolton Wanderers, Sat Dec 23 2017,Live Match Centre
Fulham Fulham
Cardiff City Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Fulham  H Tue Dec 26 2017 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Fulham, Tue Dec 26 2017,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Fulham, Tue Dec 26 2017,Buy tickets Cardiff City versus Fulham, Tue Dec 26 2017,Live Match Centre
Preston North End Preston North End
Cardiff City Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Preston North End  H Fri Dec 29 2017 19:45 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Preston North End, Fri Dec 29 2017,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Preston North End, Fri Dec 29 2017,Buy tickets Cardiff City versus Preston North End, Fri Dec 29 2017,Live Match Centre

January

Queens Park Rangers Queens Park Rangers
Loftus Road Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Queens Park Rangers  A Mon Jan 01 2018 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Queens Park Rangers, Mon Jan 01 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Queens Park Rangers, Mon Jan 01 2018,Tickets / Hospitality info Cardiff City versus Queens Park Rangers, Mon Jan 01 2018,Live Match Centre
Mansfield Town Mansfield Town
Cardiff City Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Mansfield Town  H Sat Jan 06 2018 15:00 (UK)
The Emirates FA Cup
Cardiff City versus Mansfield Town, Sat Jan 06 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Mansfield Town, Sat Jan 06 2018,Buy tickets Cardiff City versus Mansfield Town, Sat Jan 06 2018,Live Match Centre
Sunderland Sunderland
Cardiff City Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Sunderland  H Sat Jan 13 2018 12:30 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Sunderland, Sat Jan 13 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Sunderland, Sat Jan 13 2018,Buy tickets Cardiff City versus Sunderland, Sat Jan 13 2018,Preview
Sheffield Wednesday Sheffield Wednesday
Hillsborough
Score Cardiff City   - Sheffield Wednesday  A Sat Jan 20 2018 17:30 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Sheffield Wednesday, Sat Jan 20 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Sheffield Wednesday, Sat Jan 20 2018,Live Match Centre
Bolton Wanderers Bolton Wanderers
Cardiff City Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Bolton Wanderers  H Sat Jan 27 2018 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Bolton Wanderers, Sat Jan 27 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Bolton Wanderers, Sat Jan 27 2018,Buy tickets Cardiff City versus Bolton Wanderers, Sat Jan 27 2018,Live Match Centre

February

Leeds United Leeds United
Elland Road
Score Cardiff City   - Leeds United  A Sat Feb 03 2018 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Leeds United, Sat Feb 03 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Leeds United, Sat Feb 03 2018,Live Match Centre
Millwall Millwall
The Den
Score Cardiff City   - Millwall  A Sat Feb 10 2018 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Millwall, Sat Feb 10 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Millwall, Sat Feb 10 2018,Live Match Centre
Middlesbrough Middlesbrough
Cardiff City Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Middlesbrough  H Sat Feb 17 2018 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Middlesbrough, Sat Feb 17 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Middlesbrough, Sat Feb 17 2018,Buy tickets Cardiff City versus Middlesbrough, Sat Feb 17 2018,Live Match Centre
Ipswich Town Ipswich Town
Portman Road
Score Cardiff City   - Ipswich Town  A Tue Feb 20 2018 19:45 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Ipswich Town, Tue Feb 20 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Ipswich Town, Tue Feb 20 2018,Live Match Centre
Bristol City Bristol City
Cardiff City Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Bristol City  H Sat Feb 24 2018 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Bristol City, Sat Feb 24 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Bristol City, Sat Feb 24 2018,Buy tickets Cardiff City versus Bristol City, Sat Feb 24 2018,Live Match Centre

March

Brentford Brentford
Griffin Park
Score Cardiff City   - Brentford  A Sat Mar 03 2018 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Brentford, Sat Mar 03 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Brentford, Sat Mar 03 2018,Live Match Centre
Barnsley Barnsley
Cardiff City Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Barnsley  H Tue Mar 06 2018 19:45 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Barnsley, Tue Mar 06 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Barnsley, Tue Mar 06 2018,Buy tickets Cardiff City versus Barnsley, Tue Mar 06 2018,Live Match Centre
Birmingham City Birmingham City
Cardiff City Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Birmingham City  H Sat Mar 10 2018 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Birmingham City, Sat Mar 10 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Birmingham City, Sat Mar 10 2018,Buy tickets Cardiff City versus Birmingham City, Sat Mar 10 2018,Live Match Centre
Derby County Derby County
Pride Park Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Derby County  A Sat Mar 17 2018 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Derby County, Sat Mar 17 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Derby County, Sat Mar 17 2018,Live Match Centre
Burton Albion Burton Albion
Cardiff City Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Burton Albion  H Fri Mar 30 2018 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Burton Albion, Fri Mar 30 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Burton Albion, Fri Mar 30 2018,Buy tickets Cardiff City versus Burton Albion, Fri Mar 30 2018,Live Match Centre

April

Sheffield United Sheffield United
Bramall Lane
Score Cardiff City   - Sheffield United  A Mon Apr 02 2018 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Sheffield United, Mon Apr 02 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Sheffield United, Mon Apr 02 2018,Live Match Centre
Wolverhampton Wanderers Wolverhampton Wanderers
Cardiff City Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Wolverhampton Wanderers  H Sat Apr 07 2018 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Wolverhampton Wanderers, Sat Apr 07 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Wolverhampton Wanderers, Sat Apr 07 2018,Buy tickets Cardiff City versus Wolverhampton Wanderers, Sat Apr 07 2018,Live Match Centre
Aston Villa Aston Villa
Villa Park
Score Cardiff City   - Aston Villa  A Tue Apr 10 2018 19:45 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Aston Villa, Tue Apr 10 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Aston Villa, Tue Apr 10 2018,Live Match Centre
Norwich City Norwich City
Carrow Road
Score Cardiff City   - Norwich City  A Sat Apr 14 2018 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Norwich City, Sat Apr 14 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Norwich City, Sat Apr 14 2018,Live Match Centre
Nottingham Forest Nottingham Forest
Cardiff City Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Nottingham Forest  H Sat Apr 21 2018 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Nottingham Forest, Sat Apr 21 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Nottingham Forest, Sat Apr 21 2018,Buy tickets Cardiff City versus Nottingham Forest, Sat Apr 21 2018,Live Match Centre
Hull City Hull City
KCOM Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Hull City  A Sat Apr 28 2018 15:00 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Hull City, Sat Apr 28 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Hull City, Sat Apr 28 2018,Live Match Centre

May

Reading Reading
Cardiff City Stadium
Score Cardiff City   - Reading  H Sun May 06 2018 12:30 (UK)
Cardiff City versus Reading, Sun May 06 2018,Register on iFollowCardiff City versus Reading, Sun May 06 2018,Buy tickets Cardiff City versus Reading, Sun May 06 2018,Live Match Centre

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I doubt it will be this month or January looking at their fixtures they only have one really tough game between now and Feb.

Bolton Wanderers V Cardiff City 

Cardiff City V  Fulham 

• Cardiff City V Preston North End

Queens Park Rangers V Cardiff City

Cardiff City V Sunderland

Sheffield Wednesday V Cardiff City

Cardiff City V Bolton Wanderers

Bolton twice...hmm. The second (in Cardiff) falls in their favour unless Bolton decide to park the bus. The game at Wednesday will be awkward as by that time they may well be enjoying rather better luck. By the time they play Sunderland, the maccams may well be enjoying anew found confidence...having finally won a home game. QPR? Who can tell what Hollowhead may have in stall. They have a "never say die" attitude.

I'd suggest that this was a batch of 7 games which looks easier on paper than it is in reality. Mansfield  in the FA Cup should be batted away easily enough and not cause any distraction, but they are VERY reliant on Sol Bamba's fitness and form... and you never know which club(s) may go for fishing for his signature in the January transfer window.

12 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Disagree, we know full well that anyone can beat anyone in this league. Bolton and Sunderland are scrapping for their lives down there, QPR have beat Wolves and Sheff Utd at home, Fulham are capable of beating most teams when they're on their game, Preston seem to have re-captured their good early season form and are just outside the play-offs. Wed away is also a tough place to go for any team in this division.

It's all to play for! We've just got to keep doing what we're doing and hopefully we'll break into the automatics sooner rather than later :fingerscrossed:

Later would be MUCH better! 

24 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It's impressive really that we are absolutely flying and yet there are two clubs above us .

I suppose in most seasons we'd be well out in front with our form.

:thumbsup:

Interesting to compare last 4 seasons at this stage 

My guess we'd have been top or second

We'd actually be where we are twice , joint second once (Third on gd)  so third x 3 , and top once 

IMG_4338.PNG

IMG_4339.PNG

IMG_4340.PNG

IMG_4341.PNG

IMG_4342.PNG

12 hours ago, Fat Cigar said:

Something to bear in mind: by Jan 20th, we will have played Wolves, Derby and Villa home and away. 

But lost to Leeds, Preston and Birmingham!! Cardiff’s next 8 games will have a surprise result or two in there, as will ours!!

The problwm is that when you’re at the bottom and string together a couple of wins it makes a big difference cos everyone else is losing. At the top everyone is winning so moving up places is really difficult. 

Archived