IGNORED

After 22 games in 2007/08 season where were we?

Michael McIndoe

21 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Obviously me.  Marvin Elliot. Louis Carey alongside Aden Flint. I think they would make a good centre back pairing. 

(as much as I like Frankie Fielding). Basso ?

Agree with Marvin and totally honest think you would genuinely be a great addition though you'd have stiff competition in COD , though you and him either side would be dynamic !

As much as I rated Louis Carey , Nathan Baker has some real pedigree and difficult to find any real weaknesses - would be a great dilemma to have

26 minutes ago, Ashton_Red said:

I agree, we need to sign a couple of players to add depth in January and really go for it which is what we didn't do in 07/08 aswell and i also agree on the long throws, can't recall us scoring from any and usually just wastes possession 

Love the long throw ins there as good a s corner and Flinty scored from one against Cardiff...We are a good footballing team  but the throw ins into the box is awesome

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

(as much as I like Frankie Fielding). Basso ?

Agree with Marvin and totally honest think you would genuinely be a great addition though you'd have stiff competition in COD , though you and him either side would be dynamic !

As much as I rated Louis Carey , Nathan Baker has some real pedigree and difficult to find any real weaknesses - would be a great dilemma to have

Basso is a top shout. Still my favourite keeper in all my years supporting City. 

4 minutes ago, kevthered said:

Love the long throw ins there as good a s corner and Flinty scored from one against Cardiff...We are a good footballing team  but the throw ins into the box is awesome

Even setting aside any debate re the  value of the long throw ( And can see the benefit of a quick restart to keep possession as well) I do like the fact that although LJ has a clear ethos in the way he wants to play,  he is prepared to use strengths that we possess , that may actually fly in the face of this and take advantage of direct options at times

The fact that he is prepared to diversify at the right times , rather than refusing to compromise (Mr Wenger) is a big plus for me 

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

Am I the only one finding this mcindoe love in a slightly bit weird?

Plenty on here slag him off ( off the field reasons) the minute he signs up it's lick his arse time!

Not for me I've got more respect for myself!

I completely agree. I didn't rate McIndoe as a player and on the few times I met him he came over as arrogant and cocky.

Exactly what you don't like to see in anyone let alone a professional footballer.

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Am I the only one finding this mcindoe love in a slightly bit weird?

Plenty on here slag him off ( off the field reasons) the minute he signs up it's lick his arse time!

Not for me I've got more respect for myself!

No I'm finding this a bit weird as well....I can't see why he would want to do this as a ex player...Can't see his motive

• Admin
55 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Hi @cidercity1987! Being completely honest with you the first half of the 07/08 was awesome! GJ was playing the same way we used to play at Yeovil. Passing, moving, interchanging positions, players had the freedom to express ourselves and most importantly there was no rigidness to our play. In contrast when GJ brought in Dele Adebola and Nick Carle (my least favourite player ever!!) it changed the dynamic because players began to go long and direct to Dele, missing all the mid-fielders out. But this is where our creative strengths were. On top of this I think the pressure got to GJ because, in my opinion, he stopped encouraging the passing, moving and interchanging etc which I why I believe we only won, one of the last eight games in that season.

I also don't think it helped that Lee got injured with 4 or 5 games to go. As limited as some felt he was, he always presented himself as a passing option for his teammates to keep us ticking over in possession. I stand to be corrected but I believe we had just gone top when he got injured and by the time he returned we had dropped to 4th. 

On the Dele front, I loved his commitment each game but there's no doubt (that like with Djuric) when he started, players would look to hit it straight up to him. When Djuric comes on as a sub we already have our passing game going and we get him on the end of crosses and he scores goals, would love GJ to have used Dele in that sense more often.

55 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Hi @cidercity1987! Being completely honest with you the first half of the 07/08 was awesome! GJ was playing the same way we used to play at Yeovil. Passing, moving, interchanging positions, players had the freedom to express ourselves and most importantly there was no rigidness to our play. In contrast when GJ brought in Dele Adebola and Nick Carle (my least favourite player ever!!) it changed the dynamic because players began to go long and direct to Dele, missing all the mid-fielders out. But this is where our creative strengths were. On top of this I think the pressure got to GJ because, in my opinion, he stopped encouraging the passing, moving and interchanging etc which I why I believe we only won, one of the last eight games in that season.

If you look at that season and the current season, they have one key aspect in common; City's goals are coming from all over the pitch. If Lee can maintain his ethos throughout the season, especially when it becomes extremely tense in matches, then there is no reason why City cannot make it to the Promised Land. But pressure at the bottom of the table is completely different than at the top because there is more expectation. 

For me the last 3 games, Boro, Sheffield Utd and Forest have shown that we can withstand pressure, keep the ball out our net, and score at important times.  In both the home games, even though we’ve had 15-20 minute spells where not in top, we haven’t conceded many chances.

Boro - they pumped a few balls into our box, and Hörður headed one in for them, but even in that spell, we could’ve scored a couple.

Forest - they played a bit on the halfway line from 45-65 minutes, and apart from one cross and one Osborn drive, they didn’t create, or threaten.  City on the other hand created 3-4 decent chances (Hörður, Joe, Taylor, Brownhill)

Utd - proper away performance, scrap it out, score on the break, frustrate them, then score against 10 men in injury time.  Sweet.

For me, the Boro game was the game where I thought this side has got something, and that they can stay the course.

Hopefully go one better than the 07/08 boys.

1 minute ago, Ian M said:

I also don't think it helped that Lee got injured with 4 or 5 games to go. As limited as some felt he was, he always presented himself as a passing option for his teammates to keep us ticking over in possession. I stand to be corrected but I believe we had just gone top when he got injured and by the time he returned we had dropped to 4th. 

On the Dele front, I loved his commitment each game but there's no doubt (that like with Djuric) when he started, players would look to hit it straight up to him. When Djuric comes on as a sub we already have our passing game going and we get him on the end of crosses and he scores goals, would love GJ to have used Dele in that sense more often.

Got injured v Watford....the only game I went that season.  Basso saved a pen in a 0-0 where we didn’t play well.

10 hours ago, BigTone said:

A/c name: Big T

Bank: Royal Bank of Nailsea

a/c no: 999666

Sort code: 25-12-17

support@royalbankofnailsea.com <yourabouttobeshafted@somewhereinasia.com>

Sun 17/12/2017 05:22 Inbox

To:bigtone@youmustbethickasshitifyoubelievthisloadofoldcobblers.co.uk; Importance: High

Dear Big Tone

This is an automatic message by the system to let you know that you have to confirm your account information within 48 hours. due to several unsuccessful login attempts on your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Browser : Chrome
IP Address : 15.113.76.15 (Hyderabad, India) System : Windows 10

What to do next:
Your account and provide the requested information through the Account Review, If we don't receive the information within 48 hours, Your account access may be further limited. Please click the following link to carry out the review

Review My Account Activity

If you need further assistance, please click Help at the bottom of page. Yours Sincerely, Royal Bank of Nails

This email was sent to you bigtone@youmustbethickasshitifyoubelievthisloadofoldcobblers.co.uk, Please do not reply to this email. Unfortunately, we are unable to respond to inquiries sent to this address. For immediate answers to your questions, simply visit our Help Center by clicking Help at the bottom of any Royal Bank of Nailsea page.

© 2017Royal Bank of Nailsea Inc. All rights reserved.

32 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I completely agree. I didn't rate McIndoe as a player and on the few times I met him he came over as arrogant and cocky.

Exactly what you don't like to see in anyone let alone a professional footballer.

You've done it now RR.

He'll be calling you into his office for a 1:1 meeting on Monday ! :) 

15 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Just in case anyone actually wonder d where we were at this stage in the PO Final Season 

IMG_4343.PNG

Hmm, this is good.This proves a point I made a little while ago.

The bar has been raised big time in the last few years. Our 43 points would certainly have had us top this stage last that year and a good 3 pts plus GD ahead of 3rd place.

Now? 43 points only has you 3rd- don't get me wrong we're doing great, loving it, but 4 points off 2nd?? And even that is 4 points off the top?

2 points per game is no longer a guarantor of top 2 I guess is my main point. IMO.

It's a long season but I think Wolves will get in excess of 92 points and it wouldn't surprise me entirely if Cardiff do too.

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hmm, this is good.This proves a point I made a little while ago.

The bar has been raised big time in the last few years. Our 43 points would certainly have had us top this stage last that year and a good 3 pts plus GD ahead of 3rd place.

Now? 43 points only has you 3rd- don't get me wrong we're doing great, loving it, but 4 points off 2nd?? And even that is 4 points off the top?

2 points per game is no longer a guarantor of top 2 I guess is my main point. IMO.

It's a long season but I think Wolves will get in excess of 92 points and it wouldn't surprise me entirely if Cardiff do too.

I appreciate we’re a month further into the season but Watford were 9 clear iirc up until a week before we played them on sky at the start of December.

Every time there is a team everyone thinks is far and away the best in the division, they can get caught - if LJ can manage the rotation of the squad (& returns from injury) we have a very good chance of capitalising on any blips from the top 2 (or 6)

Genuinely think winning the next two and not losing to Wolves and Villa would be a clear indication we are going up - I don’t think we’ll quite do it (8 points+ in the next 4 or promotion)

14 minutes ago, solihull cider red said:

I appreciate we’re a month further into the season but Watford were 9 clear iirc up until a week before we played them on sky at the start of December.

Every time there is a team everyone thinks is far and away the best in the division, they can get caught - if LJ can manage the rotation of the squad (& returns from injury) we have a very good chance of capitalising on any blips from the top 2 (or 6)

Genuinely think winning the next two and not losing to Wolves and Villa would be a clear indication we are going up - I don’t think we’ll quite do it (8 points+ in the next 4 or promotion)

This Wolves are much better than that Watford in all honesty, IMO.

Highr calibre of player, more money thrown at it, manager with La Liga and CL experience...Watford were not in that League tbh. Watford the following season and Boothroyd declined quite sharply so.

That's what I mean about the bar being raised...it just is a higher standard now full stop. We are building a very healthy gap over a lot of aspiring playoff sides though. Ones we would expect to be right and amongst it.

To consider:

• 6 points above Villa and Sheff Utd.
  • 7 above Leeds.
  • 11 above Middlesborough is especially important IMO.

Then you have teams who as I said you would expect to be in and around it but really are not. For example:

• Fulham- 14 points above.
  • Sheffield Wednesday- 16 points above. Norwich too.

To say nothing of Sunderland and Hull's struggles.

(I didn't mention Preston or Ipswich as I am unconvinced they will be in the shakeup come the spring).

These gaps, these points in the bank now are huge. However, we rarely rarely win at QPR and the chances are Cardiff would win at Bolton- that happens the gap is suddenly, despite a terrific season to date, 6 or 7 points plus GD. In the same way these gaps with below work for us and put pressure on those sides, so the same goes for us with Cardiff and Wolves. So little margin for error.

Why? Because the bar has really been raised.

13 hours ago, Alessandro said:

@Michael McIndoe - makes sense that it is the real McIndoe, what with a book to promote - you’re brave coming on here but fair play, you’ll take some stick.

Liked you as a player and though we’ll never know what really happened with your bankruptcy nonsense, you’ve had a colourful life, book might be worth a read.

Being true to my roots I'm waiting for the £2 copy from Oxfam-unless I get lucky for a quid from Barnardo's.

Archived