IGNORED

Michael effing Gray

redfieldred

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Which ironically makes him an unprofessional pundit.

Which means he is not good at his job.

Which means his comments should be ignored.

Which means he is a Clarke Kent not worth wasting words on - simples !!

He’s pretty poor on TS too.  Doesn’t have a good knowledge of the league.  That is his failing, so relies on pre-conceptions, based on history, especially Premier League history.

1 hour ago, RedEyez said:

If you “didn't really care” then you wouldn’t find it annoying :whistle:

Annoyance and caring are on different scales. I am annoyed when someone cuts me up, but 10 seconds later I don't really care about it, because s&@t happens. I think it's worth bringing up an annoyance, you may not agree. I don't really care. 

2 hours ago, citywest30 said:

And on the flip side, Colin Murray seems to have a soft spot for us. Always saying positive things and seems to take genuine pleasure in our fortunes. As does Iwelumo - always praising LJ. Not everyone is going to like us and regardless, nothing Gray said was that contrversial.

Colin Murray loves the gifs

10 hours ago, redfieldred said:

This man barely hides his contempt for Bcfc. Today he grudgingly gave LJ credit with the caveat, that we have a rich owner. If we're so priveleged, how come we had to sell kodjia to villa for 7 times what we paid for him. We are comparatively skint compared to those around us in the league, so don't give us that you fool!

It's annoying. 

It only matters what we spend, not what the owner has. 

We've spent very little compared to our league position. 

10 hours ago, redfieldred said:

This man barely hides his contempt for Bcfc. Today he grudgingly gave LJ credit with the caveat, that we have a rich owner. If we're so priveleged, how come we had to sell kodjia to villa for 7 times what we paid for him. We are comparatively skint compared to those around us in the league, so don't give us that you fool!

How are we relatively skint? Yes, we don't benefit from having been in the EPL with all of the cash that brings but neither have a lot of teams in this league, and even those that have aren't doing that well in some cases.

Lets also be clear with Kodjia HE wanted to go for the £ nothing else, we were not forced to sell him to pay the bills.

The redevelopment of AG and the corresponding increase in come and attendance puts us in a pretty good place financially.

I think some of may be a little surprised by how much money we will be prepared to spend next month in order to help us get to where we want to go.

All that said Gray is a dreadful pundit.

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

I assume you didn't hear the odious egomaniac Savage ranting at Stoke fans for daring to criticise his mate Hughes on 606 then?

If you want intelligent comment on the game ex players tend to be the worst source imo.

The Savage support of Hughes has been going on for a few weeks on 606, last night driving back I felt embarrassed for him, it was sycophantic nonsense and utterly condescending to Stoke fans who are entitled to their concern at this point.

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

But Sunderland have a wealthy owner too. The difference is that we are NOW a well run club while they have spent a fortune on players with a bad attitude and no sell on value. I suspect it sticks in his craw that we are where he thinks they should be by right.

Crucial amendment china, as until a few short years ago we were also spending a small fortune on players with dodgy attitudes and no sell on value.

What a difference now though and how pleasing to see us where we are as a result of the way things have been changed from the top to bottom of the club.

On the issue of Michael Gray, I think some of it is down to us not having been in the prem. When they were discussing the promotion race Im sure he commented about the "big" clubs chasing Wolves and mentioned Cardiff, Derby, Sheffield United, Villa and Ipswich. Cardiff are not a big club and Ipswich are in 8th place( although not out of the running) but all of those clubs have been in the prem in the recent past. The football world revolves around there premier league - that's just the way it is.

We are still seen as a small provincial club in  a backwater of the football world. That will only change if we either gain promotion or at least keep ourselves at the top end of the championship. 

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

I assume you didn't hear the odious egomaniac Savage ranting at Stoke fans for daring to criticise his mate Hughes on 606 then?

If you want intelligent comment on the game ex players tend to be the worst source imo.

I meant say, with the exception of Robbie Savage. He's a one-eyed, sycophantic wind-up merchant.

Actually, that's being generous. 

7 minutes ago, shelts said:

We have a top five richest owners in the Championship. Money doesn’t always mean success . As a club we are still establishing ourselves at this level . 

The problem is that, for all SL's personal wealth, due to football's financial rules, we are currently financial small fry when compared to the relegated clubs enjoying premier league parachute payments.

Fortunately Sl has been able to use his personal wealth to invest in the club's infrastructure - stadium and academy - which will, in the longer term boost the clubs finances and will enable us to be more competitive on the pitch. The ex prem clubs already have new or substantial stadia which bring in much bigger revenues than the old Ashton Gate ever could so they've had no need to invest capital in their infrastructures.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Crucial amendment china, as until a few short years ago we were also spending a small fortune on players with dodgy attitudes and no sell on value.

What a difference now though and how pleasing to see us where we are as a result of the way things have been changed from the top to bottom of the club.

On the issue of Michael Gray, I think some of it is down to us not having been in the prem. When they were discussing the promotion race Im sure he commented about the "big" clubs chasing Wolves and mentioned Cardiff, Derby, Sheffield United, Villa and Ipswich. Cardiff are not a big club and Ipswich are in 8th place( although not out of the running) but all of those clubs have been in the prem in the recent past. The football world revolves around there premier league - that's just the way it is.

We are still seen as a small provincial club in  a backwater of the football world. That will only change if we either gain promotion or at least keep ourselves at the top end of the championship. 

Yes, fair comments.

7 hours ago, Assassin Reid said:

On a sidenote we did get a compliment this week from former Birmingham midfielder and Brighton scout, Martin O'Connor......

"Bristol City have a very good scouting system. a VERY good scouting system"

Genuine question to anyone ITK, what constitutes a very good scouting network and what sets ours apart from other clubs?

(my knowledge of this side of the club is precisely zero)

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

The problem is that, for all SL's personal wealth, due to football's financial rules, we are currently financial small fry when compared to the relegated clubs enjoying premier league parachute payments.

Fortunately Sl has been able to use his personal wealth to invest in the club's infrastructure - stadium and academy - which will, in the longer term boost the clubs finances and will enable us to be more competitive on the pitch. The ex prem clubs already have new or substantial stadia which bring in much bigger revenues than the old Ashton Gate ever could so they've had no need to invest capital in their infrastructures.

We could always sod the financial rules

Bournmouth and QPR got into the prem by taking the p##s out of the rules

5 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

We could always sod the financial rules

Bournmouth and QPR got into the prem by taking the p##s out of the rules

SL has spent a career working within financial rules and regulations, and i cannot imagine he would knowingly contravene football's financial rules. His investment in the stadium and academy were specifically because of how the finial rules limit th amount he is allowed to plough into the playing side of the club.

Noticeable that Bournemouth and QPR had foreign money backing their promotions? Fit and proper owners test needs to be carefully looked at, and retrospectively when the financial rules are broken. They also need to follow through with severe financial sanctions when a team breaks the financial rules so it is a proper deterrant.

I can never get too uptight about the comments of pundits. One of the things that makes football the greatest sport in the world is that it’s constantly talked about, because everyone has an opinion. The forum itself is a testament to that. I like the fact that some pundits like Michael Gray can seem openly biased, or others like Savage are like shockjocks and make statements for effect. It all adds zest to the debate and gives rise to postings on here. 

Always remember, everyone is entitled to their incorrect opinion. 

Genuine question for those upset by the likes of Michael Gray. How are you going to cope if City get promoted and we get torn up by other clubs in the Premier League, torn up again on Match of the Day, and finally shredded on Match of the Day 2 week after week. The national as well as local press will also be having their say. They don't all hate us, they'll be measuring us against a whole new standard... and there are occasions when we'll fall woefully short.

1 hour ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Genuine question for those upset by the likes of Michael Gray. How are you going to cope if City get promoted and we get torn up by other clubs in the Premier League, torn up again on Match of the Day, and finally shredded on Match of the Day 2 week after week. The national as well as local press will also be having their say. They don't all hate us, they'll be measuring us against a whole new standard... and there are occasions when we'll fall woefully short.

I`d hate it and probably wouldn`t watch if we`d been royally ****** over in a game.

One of my big concerns when there was all the talk about Flinty going to the prem was the sadness I would feel seeing him getting torn apart by the `experts` on MOTD when Aguero had skinned him for the fourth time.

2 hours ago, SimonL said:

I can' wait for us to get promoion then all these so called experts can shove it where the sun doesnt shine. 

really? There'll be far more experts. BBC MOTD, MOTD2, Sky Sport and BT Sport will ALL be interested week after week after week, as well as the national press as well as international. Focus will be huge and permanent, and if you feel a little raw with our current coverage....my advice is grow a pair....because we'll sound like pathetic whingers if we dont. City would be one of 20 clubs in the richest and most newsworthy league on the planet. Suck it in...

2 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Gray would be as negative if not more so about Coventry but doesn’t get the chance.  It goes back nearly 40 years

It’s a tragedy to see Cov in league two - I’ve always had a soft spot for the Sky Blues, great club and brill fans...they were in the top tier from 1967 to 2000 and have been on one hell of a rollercoaster since....

9 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Gray would be as negative if not more so about Coventry but doesn’t get the chance.  It goes back nearly 40 years

really? Have you spoken to him about it? Whinge, whine, moan, groan, they all hate us etc. He wouldnt have even started primary school when that happened. Get a grip

22 hours ago, redfieldred said:

I watched the program and can't say it there was any contempt in his comments.

I found the comment about LJ's coat funny.

23 hours ago, redfieldred said:

The media never give us credit. 

Archived