IGNORED

How are the roads in Bristol area gonna cope on Wednesday night?

Never to the dark side

With an extra 7,000 football fanes heading for the Gate,

and maybe quite a few who won't have been to Ashton Gate for a long time

Not sure how the roads are gonna cope 

I think the whole of Bristol  will grind to a halt some where about 4pm

and if there ends up any Motorway closure,who knows what will happen

Might tip would be, if yoo know any one who ain't going to the game

Get every thing done by 2pm on wednesday afternoon and then stay at home

Now where is that Parson Street timetable?

It's not the amount of cars on the road that's the problem...it's the continual procession of public on foot, crossing roads, either on zebra crossings, like the four around St Mary Redcliffe roundabout ( which is absolutely mental ) and traffic lights for said public crossings.

If we still had public footpath bridges, and use of subways, we wouldn't have the traffic congestion we have.

A very simple solution that the Councils in Bristol and around the rest of the Country have screwed up.

I think we overstate the difference a sell out makes. We’re used to 20k crowds now which hasn’t proven that chaotic. In a city of 450,000 people and with over 1 million in the metropolitan area, I don’t really think another 7,000 people - most of whom would have been going about their business elsewhere in the city anyway - is actually going to change much.

Parking on the other hand is an entirely different matter...

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think we overstate the difference a sell out makes. We’re used to 20k crowds now which hasn’t proven that chaotic. In a city of 450,000 people and with over 1 million in the metropolitan area, I don’t really think another 7,000 people - most of whom would have been going about their business elsewhere in the city anyway - is actually going to change much.

It will make a huge difference. Most of those extra 7000 will be trying to converge on just a few roads at roughly the same time. 

6 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

It will make a huge difference. Most of those extra 7000 will be trying to converge on just a few roads at roughly the same time. 

A marginal difference I suspect. We also have 15 minutes longer to get there, which should counteract the increase in numbers to some extent; it’s a little bit further past peak rush hour traffic than normal.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

It's not the amount of cars on the road that's the problem...it's the continual procession of public on foot, crossing roads, either on zebra crossings, like the four around St Mary Redcliffe roundabout ( which is absolutely mental ) and traffic lights for said public crossings.

If we still had public footpath bridges, and use of subways, we wouldn't have the traffic congestion we have.

Those 4 zebra crossings are just ridiculous. Traffic lights instead would imrove it, just make pedestrians wait 30 seconds so a bunch cross together rather than a constant stream crossing the road.

There is a subway on Redcliffe Hill, but as it is used by drug dealers, no-one uses it, and use the crossing on the road above instead.

49 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The trouble is we don`t actually get 20k crowds with the ST holders who miss various games for whatever reason. Yesterday there were many empty seats everywhere in the ground and I would think the actual number there was about 17 - 18k.

The difference on Wednesday is that everyone who has a ticket will be there.

46 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

Those 4 zebra crossings are just ridiculous. Traffic lights instead would imrove it, just make pedestrians wait 30 seconds so a bunch cross together rather than a constant stream crossing the road.

There is a subway on Redcliffe Hill, but as it is used by drug dealers, no-one uses it, and use the crossing on the road above instead.

The lights at the end of coronation road also cause mayhem. All of them don’t have flashing yellow mode either so take longer to flip to green. I honestly think if they got rid of those, made marsh road one way by old cruikshanks garage and got rid of those lights as well that it would remove half of the usual traffic misery overnight 

1 minute ago, Tomarse said:

The lights at the end of coronation road also cause mayhem. All of them don’t have flashing yellow mode either so take longer to flip to green. I honestly think if they got rid of those, made marsh road one way by old cruikshanks garage and got rid of those lights as well that it would remove half of the usual traffic misery overnight 

Our cockney councillors probably won't notice any of it when they head home to Westbury on Trym.

The roads will cope. Being inanimate they don’t really have a need for a coping mechanism. The traffic managers on the other hand...is another story.

Honestly, just be sensible and give yourself more time to get there and get back. These are matches we all want, so let’s not complain when they come along. There are cities around the world who would pray for the road congestion problems of Bristol  

12 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The roads will cope. Being inanimate they don’t really have a need for a coping mechanism. The traffic managers on the other hand...is another story.

Honestly, just be sensible and give yourself more time to get there and get back. These are matches we all want, so let’s not complain when they come along. There are cities around the world who would pray for the road congestion problems of Bristol  

Cities are inanimate ;)

Archived