IGNORED

One of the biggest results in our history?

The Journalist

3 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Now we can all turn our attentions properly towards Wednesday, I have a genuine question for you all to ponder - would victory over Manchester United constitute one of the biggest one-off results in Bristol City's history?

Now, I'm not suggesting it'd be the biggest - that's surely impossible to quantify. I'm not even saying I think it'd be one of the biggest. I'm just asking the question, with this context behind it...

• We've never won a major trophy
  • We've only ever reached the semi-finals of a major trophy twice
  • We've never won a play-off final
  • We've not played in the top flight for 37 years
  • Manchester United, the EFL Cup holders, are one of the biggest, richest and most successful clubs in the world

How would victory compare against other wins you might consider our biggest ever? Can you name, say, five more significant one-off victories in Bristol City's history? Considering not only the impact on the pitch but the potential impact off it?

This isn't a debate about whether the league or the cup is more important to us - this is a question loaded against 123 years of history which has seen us achieve, in the grander scheme of things, very little.

Over to you...

We've been in semi final of major final three times?

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Fa Cup final v Manchester .

Spurs and Forest in the League cup . 

12 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

Yuppedy.

Yep. Let’s be honest our history is one of complete underachievement . Nine years of top flight Football and one F.A cup final . Would be brilliant to add to those nine years soon 

43 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I believe you are correct and, IIRC, they lost their next League match (or one very shortly after) - to Stoke?

Yes, they were unbeaten as I stated in my post 4 hours ago and they lost their unbeaten league record the Saturday after losing to us, as you quite rightly state at Stoke. 

Definitely the 6th round FA cup tie AWAY to Leeds in 1974. We were a lowly 2nd division side beating probably the best team in Europe....they were 32 games unbeaten until they met us. I was there amongst the 3000 city fans there that Tuesday afternoon....my most memorable game.

1 hour ago, onehowie said:

Definitely the 6th round FA cup tie AWAY to Leeds in 1974. We were a lowly 2nd division side beating probably the best team in Europe....they were 32 games unbeaten until they met us. I was there amongst the 3000 city fans there that Tuesday afternoon....my most memorable game.

Yes that was one hell of a win, I wish I can say I was there, but instead I was on the top of a ladder when I heard the result, and nearly fell off!! 

Leeds were indeed at the pinnacle, and I suppose it has to be up there as perhaps our best win. 

It was an afternoon kick off mid-week for some reason, but can't remember why...can you?

9 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Ah, I stand corrected - I foolishly failed to count the 1909 semi-final and was unaware of 1920. I'm a wee bit too young to recall that one.

I wouldn't say it's a paltry difference, as it obviously means we've won four quarter-finals before and so this occasion isn't quite as rare as I gave credit for originally!

Was the opposition we faced in those last-eight fixtures as formidable as Wednesday, though?

Just to add, too, that I'm not trying to prove or disprove that beating Manchester United would be a massive result, it's a genuine question.

Don't worry, I wasn't trying to criticise. After all the first two were a hundred years ago +/- half a dozen. And four quarter final wins in 120 years is paltry.

Should we win, it would be a massive result, although at present, I'd take three points at QPR over beating Manchester.

2 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Yes that was one hell of a win, I wish I can say I was there, but instead I was on the top of a ladder when I heard the result, and nearly fell off!! 

Leeds were indeed at the pinnacle, and I suppose it has to be up there as perhaps our best win. 

It was an afternoon kick off mid-week for some reason, but can't remember why...can you?

It was a 13.30 kick off due to the three day week meaning a ban on floodlights... The Three-Day Week was one of several measures introduced in the United Kingdom by the Conservative Government to conserve electricity, the generation of which was severely restricted owing to industrial action by coal miners. The effect was that from 1 January until 7 March 1974 (also the same month the 1973-74 oil crisis ended[1]) commercial users of electricity were limited to three specified consecutive days' consumption each week and prohibited from working longer hours on those days. Services deemed essential (e.g. hospitals, supermarkets and newspaper prints) were exempt.[2] Television companies were required to cease broadcasting at 10:30 p.m. during the crisis to conserve electricity,[3][4] although the restrictions were dropped after a general election was called.

9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Without question it would be one of the biggest one-off results. Beating a footballing superpower for a place in the semi finals would be right up there in our history. I think some people on here are afraid to admit how big it could be for fear of seeming “tinpot”, but there’s no point pretending it wouldn’t be massive. Our history is not exactly peppered with notable scalps.

I appreciate the arguments saying yesterday’s win was more important, but we’ll only know how important if it proves to be the difference between promotion or not. If we win the league by 15 points it will have been an irrelevance!

I was thinking earlier, considering how few of these big draws we get, we have a pretty decent record in causing an upset in them.

I highly doubt Manchester United will come with a full strength first team. And even if they did, as they played on Sunday, anything other than a loss for city would be decryed because ‘the players were tired’

Great opportunity to put one of the biggest clubs in the world out of a knockout competition, and one of the greatest managers but I don’t think it comes close to securing top flight football for the first time post war - the Portsmouth game gets my vote

I don't feel a Quarter Final of the League Cup is too big a deal, even against Man U.  If it was the same stage of the FA cup, then it would be huge.

I've said it previously, but within the context of this season, the game against Wolves on the 30th is a bigger match - in my opinion.

Anyway, I reckon we'll win 2-1, so let's see if the Semi Final tops this game.

As big results go, surely the 2-2 with coventry in 77 gave us 3 more seasons in the top flight. What would that be worth in present day terms £? Also estimates of 15-20,000 away fans for a league game, have we ever come anywhere near that size of following before or since? This was my first ever away game, obviousley hooked for life. I am usually a pessimist but just have a sneaky feeling we are going to win on Wednesday, scary times.:chant6ez:

We’ve been in two Semi finals in my lifetime, albeit I was just 4 days old when we played Spurs! I have the program from it though, thanks to my ol man who was there, no doubt getting some respite from his new born son!

I was at the Florist semi final.. got drenched in the open end.

I was also at Anfield, Leicester away,  Chelsea at home, Bolton at Wembley etc.

If we lose on Wednesday it will be a memorable night. If we win, it will go down as one of thee greatest games in our history to date.

C657746F-2E0E-4626-B93D-03AB4CE07C6A.jpeg

11 minutes ago, MT1970 said:

We’ve been in two Semi finals in my lifetime, albeit I was just 4 days old when we played Spurs! I have the program from it though, thanks to my ol man who was there, no doubt getting some respite from his new born son!

I was at the Florist semi final.. got drenched in the open end.

I was also at Anfield, Leicester away,  Chelsea at home, Bolton at Wembley etc.

If we lose on Wednesday it will be a memorable night. If we win, it will go down as one of thee greatest games in our history to date.

C657746F-2E0E-4626-B93D-03AB4CE07C6A.jpeg

4 days old and you missed watching City in a League Cup semi final? Lightweight. ;)

I've been to the home and away legs of both League Cup semi-final matches that City has played and I want to extend that record. Roll on Wednesday!

There have been far more important games for us over the years, but many of which aren't memorable - And it is those memorable games that get us hooked on watching in the hope that some day we will experience it again.

You could say that the recent league games or the next QPR game are more important than the Man Utd game,  but in reality they are no where near it in terms of creating an experience that will live long in the memory and potentially get new fans hooked on it for life.

I can recall the players that played in the Bolton Freight Rover game or the Chelsea game, or the Liverpool game much more easily than i can any other teams I have watched since then.. If we were to beat Manure on Wednesday, then a new generation of fans as well as the old will no doubt recall in years to come that night. If we lose, it will become a hazy memory for me, like the FA cup losses to Sven's Man City, or to Everton.

11 hours ago, onehowie said:

It was a 13.30 kick off due to the three day week meaning a ban on floodlights... The Three-Day Week was one of several measures introduced in the United Kingdom by the Conservative Government to conserve electricity, the generation of which was severely restricted owing to industrial action by coal miners. The effect was that from 1 January until 7 March 1974 (also the same month the 1973-74 oil crisis ended[1]) commercial users of electricity were limited to three specified consecutive days' consumption each week and prohibited from working longer hours on those days. Services deemed essential (e.g. hospitals, supermarkets and newspaper prints) were exempt.[2] Television companies were required to cease broadcasting at 10:30 p.m. during the crisis to conserve electricity,[3][4] although the restrictions were dropped after a general election was called.

Ahh yes that was it, actually worked for SWEB at the time, got a brick thrown through the Bedminster showroom. :sad26:

Archived