IGNORED

Middlesbrough reaction to their situation.

Tipps69

Warranted? Overreaction? Understandable?

After beating Middlesbrough a couple of weeks ago & seeing their fans reaction to their defeat, I decided I’d keep an eye on this particular channel. Now this particular fan seemed very passionate at our game & is similarly struggling again after their defeat yesterday to Millwall, bits of it made me laugh & bits of it made me feel for him but is he expecting too much? Does he seem to think they are entitled to just turn up & beat teams in The Championship?

I had Middlesbrough to win the league (like many) & they have clearly struggled to live up to the preseason hype but is it a case of Middlesbrough fans not respecting the rest of the division? Or are they warranted in their reaction? They are still only 10th in the league, it’s not like they are in our position of last season.

I just thought that in amongst our great performance of the season so far, it was interesting to see another teams struggles.

always cracks me up when someone claims the manger cant motivate the players. I motivate myself and my mob daily, I have to. My Regional manager coudln't motivate a fox to hunt a chicken. He buries his head in his computer and looks at stats... end of.  If I was a Pro Footballer and I couldn't motivate myself to put in 100% shift every game, I'd feel I was stealing a living and move on... and if anyone doubts that.. I have done.

1 minute ago, David Brent said:

I think a lot of is it to do with Garry Monk actually being not that good a manager

But he seemed to do okay with clubs with limited resources & maybe not such high expectations (Swansea & Leeds).

But now that the club & fans expectations are higher, not getting the right results constantly is putting extra pressure on everyone connected with the club, Monk has been in charge for 6 months (roughly?) & had a large turnover of players, it all takes time to gel together, doesn’t it?

They are 10th, not flirting with relegation, so would you agree with their reaction & expectations? 

I’m sure there was some of our own fans that were calling for Monk to come in not so long ago, would we be asking for him to be replaced if we were ‘only 10th’? Or is the hindsight of our own situation with LJ proof enough that a manager / head coach deserves longer than 6 months?

Similarly, some Birmingham fans want Cotts out after only a couple of months & Wednesday fans have started calling for their manager to be replaced, when is it acceptable to start wanting change?

Read an interesting post on Boros board a few eeeks back relating to his time at Swansea

Allegedly was in the Chairmans Ear constantly moaning about Paulo Sousa and following managers , eyeing up a job for himself

Sounded a credible detailed post & If true it didn't paint a good picture of Monk

What fans need to understand is not all teams can do well, the fact that us, sheff u and Cardiff are unexpectedly taking up top 6 spots currently means that inevitably teams who were expected to do well will miss out. I remember them having relegation struggles in this league, and they by no means have a right to be at the top of the league. The guy in the video strikes me as having about 21 brain cells to be fair.

38 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

always cracks me up when someone claims the manger cant motivate the players. I motivate myself and my mob daily, I have to. My Regional manager coudln't motivate a fox to hunt a chicken. He buries his head in his computer and looks at stats... end of.  If I was a Pro Footballer and I couldn't motivate myself to put in 100% shift every game, I'd feel I was stealing a living and move on... and if anyone doubts that.. I have done.

I know you can't put the Genie back in the bottle, but I've often wondered just how motivated players might be if they got £1000 per week in their wage packet with the other £10,000+ paid dependant on performance and/or results.

Too many players get too much pay without necessarily doing anything, or very much,  to justify it. Not enough " cost" to the players for not performing whereas the manager always pays with his job.

17 minutes ago, Cider red said:

What fans need to understand is not all teams can do well, the fact that us, sheff u and Cardiff are unexpectedly taking up top 6 spots currently means that inevitably teams who were expected to do well will miss out. I remember them having relegation struggles in this league, and they by no means have a right to be at the top of the league. The guy in the video strikes me as having about 21 brain cells to be fair.

Totally agree & with regards to the guy in the video, every club has supporters like this guy, like what happens at every game ‘your team’ plays is more important than anything else that happens in the world but as I said in my original post, is this classed as passion or an overreaction? Are his (and similar, like minded supporters) views warranted or are his expectations unwarranted?

There are thousands of people, like this guy, who travel up & down the country week after week supporting their clubs but as a Middlesbrough fan, is his reaction warranted / acceptable compared to say a Barnet fan who does similar?

For me, this Middlesbrough fan seems to be going way over the top, there is still plenty of time for them to come good & make a push for promotion, similarly, things could be a whole lot worse, they could be in Sunderland’s position, as a club who were also relegated last season & who have struggled even more so than Middlesbrough this season.

I guess it’s what you’re used to, he says he watched Middlesbrough for 20 years, so hasn’t really had the bad times, I’ve supported City for 40 years or so & have been all over the country while we were in division 4 & 3 etc & been there when the times were really low, so now I’m a bit more chilled & thankful for what we currently have & I guess that maybe why I was a bit more lenient when others wanted LJ out of the door last season.

I just think some people need to get things into perspective & realise what is really important in life, or is that just me?

1 hour ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I doubt that. I also disagree with your whole point, there's amazing managers out there who completely motivate their players, so there must be those who don't. Without wanting to be disrespectful I think you're probably lying about moving on. Just my opinion so please don't hate me for it. You're probably the regional manager..end of.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Read an interesting post on Boros board a few eeeks back relating to his time at Swansea

Allegedly was in the Chairmans Ear constantly moaning about Paulo Sousa and following managers , eyeing up a job for himself

Sounded a credible detailed post & If true it didn't paint a good picture of Monk

Is that how Russell Osman got our managers job?

5 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

I doubt that. I also disagree with your whole point, there's amazing managers out there who completely motivate their players, so there must be those who don't. Without wanting to be disrespectful I think you're probably lying about moving on. Just my opinion so please don't hate me for it. You're probably the regional manager..end of.

You doubt me. You don't know me, you don't know what I do but doubt me anyway.  Free speech I guess. Gain a little knowledge before making personal attacks. Me? Regional Manager? :laugh:. My life is NOT my job

2 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

You doubt me. You don't know me, you don't know what I do but doubt me anyway.  Free speech I guess. Gain a little knowledge before making personal attacks. Me? Regional Manager? :laugh:. My life is NOT my job

Assistant to the Regional Manager?

8 hours ago, downendcity said:

I know you can't put the Genie back in the bottle, but I've often wondered just how motivated players might be if they got £1000 per week in their wage packet with the other £10,000+ paid dependant on performance and/or results.

Too many players get too much pay without necessarily doing anything, or very much,  to justify it. Not enough " cost" to the players for not performing whereas the manager always pays with his job.

I think that there would be even more cheating and over the top challenges. It wouldn't take long for it become like the Hunger Games. 

9 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

But he seemed to do okay with clubs with limited resources & maybe not such high expectations (Swansea & Leeds).

But now that the club & fans expectations are higher, not getting the right results constantly is putting extra pressure on everyone connected with the club, Monk has been in charge for 6 months (roughly?) & had a large turnover of players, it all takes time to gel together, doesn’t it?

They are 10th, not flirting with relegation, so would you agree with their reaction & expectations? 

I’m sure there was some of our own fans that were calling for Monk to come in not so long ago, would we be asking for him to be replaced if we were ‘only 10th’? Or is the hindsight of our own situation with LJ proof enough that a manager / head coach deserves longer than 6 months?

Similarly, some Birmingham fans want Cotts out after only a couple of months & Wednesday fans have started calling for their manager to be replaced, when is it acceptable to start wanting change?

I wasn't calling for Monk to be hired by us .

I don't rate him .

He is a chancer .

10 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Definitely think that Middlesbrough fans need to be realistic that it takes time to click.

But at the same time, the amount that Boro have spent it’s not unreasonable to expect more. 

12 hours ago, downendcity said:

Cloughie touted that idea around many years ago and he, and you, are spot on....give a prem player £500 a week with a £70k win bonus and you’d see some real effort being put in...

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cloughie touted that idea around many years ago and he, and you, are spot on....give a prem player £500 a week with a £70k win bonus and you’d see some real effort being put in...

I think the effort would be going into securing a move to the leagues in China, India, or wherever the money is in your scenario there...

I was talking about this today in work with  fellow City fan; perhaps the reason they are not doing as well as they and the bookies expected is because the standard of the championship has gone up and is closing the gap between it and the premiership?

I offer as proof the fact that both Hull and Sunderland are struggling and in very real risk of going down into League 1, and Middlesbrough are confounding the pundits and bookies. NONE of the teams from the Prem last year are currently in a top 6 position. Added to that the fact that we, Bristol City, have beaten 3 premiership clubs so far on our League Cup run, and Wolves took Man City all the way to 90 minutes without them scoring - which no premiership club has managed to do this season. This could possibly arguably mean that the standard of the top 6 of our league is actually better than the bottom 6 of the Prem (?)

Monk is a fraud. Got the job at Swansea because of his link to the club, seem to do OK at Leeds but they are fine without him now, and now can’t string results together with a PL squad in the championship. Typical case of a manager walking in a club job but not on merit. Think he’ll become someone that will drop down the divisions soon. 

Archived