IGNORED

Andy Cole

Red Army 75

39 minutes ago, phantom said:

Not that I ever read his book, but anecdotally am sure we weren't written about as nicely as this

The section is brief but he is complimentary about BCFC and respectful to the players and Manager in his book. He is being very respectful in that in short piece. He was too good for BCFC, and almost certainly would have found his way to the top via countless other clubs.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

The section is brief but he is complimentary about BCFC and respectful to the players and Manager in his book. He is being very respectful in that in short piece. He was too good for BCFC, and almost certainly would have found his way to the top via countless other clubs.

Most impactive loan signing I've ever witnessed at the Gate and would be right towards the top of best ever players I've seen in a red shirt

He looked a complete level above the then Div One almost immediately

For they younger ones , Think Tammy last season , and then some , by a fair amount

29 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Most impactive loan signing I've ever witnessed at the Gate and would be right towards the top of best ever players I've seen in a red shirt

For they younger ones , Think Tammy last season , and then some , by a fair amount

Yep he was mustard. Remember him ripping Cardiff a new one in the league cup. I think. I know we never had a sell on clause. But did Arsenal have one with us

16 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Yep he was mustard. Remember him ripping Cardiff a new one in the league cup. I think. I know we never had a sell on clause. But did Arsenal have one with us

Not sure RA75

Remember him taking a ball near touchline on half way line in front of Dolman and dancing through an oppositions defence to stick the ball in the net at open end - breathtaking

48 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Got to remember when he was making his name at Newcastle and Man Utd we were a complete mess of a club. 

We really were a club heading no where but down again, crowds of 5/6,000. He probably wanted that off his cv. 

Now he’s got older and looks back at his career he’s probably thankful for what City done for him.

That's not correct.

I think you'll find Russell Osman, with the likes of Baird and Robinson up front, was responsible for attendances withering to these numbers but this was a year or two after Cole, Dziekanowski etc had  left.

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That's not correct.

I think you'll find Russell Osman, with the likes of Baird and Robinson up front, was responsible for attendances withering to these numbers but this was a year or two after Cole, Dziekanowski etc had  left.

Yeh exactly my point, read what I had said. When he was making his name at Newcastle & Man United we were a complete mess. 

I’m not surprised he didn’t want to be associated with ourselves. 

I interviewed him as a guest in the Lansdown restaurant before the Forest game, and he was very respectful about his time at City. As he says in the article, he saw it as a key part of his development, which came a lot faster than he'd expected. As a young lad he learned a lot from the senior pros - the ones he quotes in the article, but also Gary Shelton.

59 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Got to remember when he was making his name at Newcastle and Man Utd we were a complete mess of a club. 

We really were a club heading no where but down again, crowds of 5/6,000. He probably wanted that off his cv. 

Now he’s got older and looks back at his career he’s probably thankful for what City done for him.

5/6000 in the then Div One

unless dementia has set in , and somebody may correct me,  thats tosh

He never wanted to join Bristol City. He wanted to join us as much as Dwight Gayle. Unfortunately, Arsenal had other plans. Still, he came, he mesmerised, he went to Newcastle United for less than he should have done and Arsenal took a massive chunk of that, so I think we got our money back at most.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agreed. The first time I saw him play I said to the mate I was with that he would play for a big club and for England before long.

Agree with all the comments about the impact Cole had on us both on loan and when permanently signed. A fantastic scoring record and some similarities to Tammy Abraham for sure. 

However I’m not sure he was really here for BCFC. If I remember rightly he kept himself to himself and didn’t even bother coming out to warm up with the rest of the team. I also recall him saying in the press every goal he scored for us was a reminder to arsenal that they shouldn’t have let him go. Would have much preferred to hear him say every goal is a goal for the team I now play for and pay my wages!

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

20 goals in 30 appearances. He also scored in six consecutive games in 1992/93. However in December 1992 Cole failed to score and City failed to win a game.

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Couldn’t agree more, looked like a man playing boys, read the game two minutes earlier than anyone else, remember thinking he was the first centre forward I’d seen to peel off waiting for the loose ball waiting for his partner to lay it off

still rather watch Jackie though !

8 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes Osman got rid of quality players that was better than him 

He certainly didn't.

He was given absolutely no money by the board at the time, even when he sold Cole he only got a third of it for replacements.

This meant he had to shop at the bargain basement, so bought the likes of Mark Shail for £75k and Tinnion for £180k. Others like Baird didn't work out.

If anyone seriously thinks Tinnion wasn't "quality" or didn't improve us they are mental.

Osman's bad reputation comes from 2 issues, firstly the football was dull and we were poor to watch. I went to a shareholders meeting where he spoke of his admiration for George Graham's Arsenal..

Secondly because he got rid of Dziekanowski, who was a passenger in 80% of the games he played, the complete opposite of a team player and who came with a barrel load of off field issues.

Somehow though he has become this myth as one of our greatest players when in truth he only ever had about 6 decent games for us, but because the football under Osman was so dull he has been used as a stick to beat him with.

No surprise Cole talked about Gary Shelton's influence on him, now he was a proper pro.

17 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not dementia Bob, from memory we beat Grimsby 1-0 in The Championship as it now is, under Osman with a last minute Martin Scott penalty (Wayne Allison was brought down as he went round their keeper) and the crowd I think was definitely under 5,500.

Remember it was the first game after the Park End had been demolished and so just before construction of the Atyeo began, not that there was any problem with finding somewhere to stand!!

Also the last game that my late grandfather saw.

On 12/19/2017 at 15:11, BobBobSuperBob said:

there were many league games in the low 6 and 7s for sure - in fact, i'm certain the home game after we beat liverpool we had less at ashton gate than we had taken to anfield. there was some grim football played under osman, and along with his fixation of stripping us of our last talent and replacing them with his antique mates, the attendances came as little surprise. 

Archived