IGNORED

Only 3 million lost

JasonM88

16 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

In another report says we lost £6.5m last year, perhaps have to wait until we can see the official accounts

That was the group loss for Bristol City Holdings Ltd.

All the details:

Bristol City Holdings accounts: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/01501663/filing-history/MzE5Mjc2OTE5N2FkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

Bristol City Football Club accounts: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03230871/filing-history/MzE5Mjc4MTMzNGFkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

Ashton Gate accounts: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05450440/filing-history/MzE5Mjc4MTM1MGFkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Aren't transfer fees paid over the length of the player's contract rather than all up front?

It's complicated.  Transfer fees are actually paid over whatever payment terms are in the transfer contract.  These vary a lot.  What happens over the life of the contract is asset ammortisation.  It's never as simple as "if we take the Kodjia fee off we get the true number", not even close.

Luckily the accounts referred to here do the work for us - they state that player trading was worth £8.4m during that year meaning without that the loss would have been £11.6m.  There is about £12.4m owed to us now so I think that will mean some of the money from Kodjia and Bolasie is unpaid.

Other interesting bits:

The wage bill has gone up from £15.4m to £17.9m.  That's an extra £50k a week... player and staff numbers have increased again significantly.  It's not quite as bad as I'd have guessed but it still means we are running at about 125% wage bill to turnover.

Revenue has gone up from £10.3m to £14.2m.  £1.2m of that increase was extra ticket sales and matchday revenue (quite a low number considering the investment).  £2.1m was extra league income - effectively TV money - which is now worth about 30% more than ticket sales and matchday revenue to us every year.  

I would definitely not be anywhere near as bullish as some on here.  We are still spending wildly beyond our means, the odds are we won't get another lot of transfer income like that for a long while and we're still adding more and more people.  I think the stadium revenue is going to need a lot more work, but that was always the main risk of redeveloping a limited site over building new.

28 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

I always thought Bristol City Holdings was the football club, not sure what the difference is between the two other than some accountancy trick?

12 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I always thought Bristol City Holdings was the football club, not sure what the difference is between the two other than some accountancy trick?

Bristol City Holdings owns the football club and the stadium company - it's the parent company. 

I believe the old thinking (like 90s and before) was this was a way to isolate and protect the asset (stadium) from the wild losses of the football club. 

It doesn't really work because they're part of the same group so the parent company carries the can. 

Last time the structure was explained by SL it was as a convenience to see the accounts separately. 

Some were sceptical about this because nobody actually uses annual accounts to run a business, you have far more detailed info available to you.

58 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The turnover figure at £21 million about 300% of what it was four/five years ago. The most dramatic increase in my City lifetime? (1950-2017)

But to put it in perspective - buys one middling quality player in the prem. Which just goes to show the gap and what we are up against.

5 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

But to put it in perspective - buys one middling quality player in the prem. Which just goes to show the gap and what we are up against.

Once in the Prem the matchday revenue is almost irrelevant compared to the TV income, we would get £120m plus if we got promoted 

39 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

£60k a week losses a third of which are spunked on O’Neil

Irrespective of the amount being correct it must certainly be in the right kind of ballpark. It's been a disaster, not that it's the fault of player or club. Will we be insured to cover these kinds of eventualities or is it really pound notes down the sh i tt er?

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

Irrespective of the amount being correct it must certainly be in the right kind of ballpark. It's been a disaster, not that it's the fault of player or club. Will we be insured to cover these kinds of eventualities or is it really pound notes down the sh i tt er?

We most likely don't have any cover for salary costs, it's extremely expensive.

2 hours ago, Tiree said:

anyone want to suggest a better owner than we have? If i could be bothered to look back 10 months there seemed to be plenty of people telling this forum he didnt know how to pick a manager, run a football club or fire Lj. I suspect he will be the talk of British Football if we win tonight or get to the Premier League this season; and rightly so.

There are a few who are on a par I reckon - Tony Bloom at Brighton and Steve Gibson at Boro for instance - but they are few and far between. We are one very lucky club to have our Steve and long may it continue.

Now that's more like it.

An annual loss of £3m must be our lowest loss in 15 + years? Really good news though.

And to the posters further up seemingly mystified about the criticism SL's had in the past; when we're running up huge losses season upon season with no real signs of progress he will rightfully receive constructive criticism. Criticism I believe on occasion he has even accepted as being fair.

But when we're getting things right (and off the pitch I believe we've been getting things right for a good few years now) then he will get well-deserved praise.

23 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

There are a few who are on a par I reckon - Tony Bloom at Brighton and Steve Gibson at Boro for instance - but they are few and far between. We are one very lucky club to have our Steve and long may it continue.

Huddersfield & Burnley's owners are great, too.

2 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Never understood the SL haters. He has done wonders for this club. We are moving with the current times, something other clubs in this league who have played in the prem are failing to do and building for the future. It won’t be long until there aren’t any losses 

Who on earth has ever stated they hate Steve Lansdown?

3 hours ago, Nibor said:

It's complicated.  Transfer fees are actually paid over whatever payment terms are in the transfer contract.  These vary a lot.  What happens over the life of the contract is asset ammortisation.  It's never as simple as "if we take the Kodjia fee off we get the true number", not even close.

Luckily the accounts referred to here do the work for us - they state that player trading was worth £8.4m during that year meaning without that the loss would have been £11.6m.  There is about £12.4m owed to us now so I think that will mean some of the money from Kodjia and Bolasie is unpaid.

Other interesting bits:

The wage bill has gone up from £15.4m to £17.9m.  That's an extra £50k a week... player and staff numbers have increased again significantly.  It's not quite as bad as I'd have guessed but it still means we are running at about 125% wage bill to turnover.

Revenue has gone up from £10.3m to £14.2m.  £1.2m of that increase was extra ticket sales and matchday revenue (quite a low number considering the investment).  £2.1m was extra league income - effectively TV money - which is now worth about 30% more than ticket sales and matchday revenue to us every year.  

I would definitely not be anywhere near as bullish as some on here.  We are still spending wildly beyond our means, the odds are we won't get another lot of transfer income like that for a long while and we're still adding more and more people.  I think the stadium revenue is going to need a lot more work, but that was always the main risk of redeveloping a limited site over building new.

Nice summary.

Re the Kodjia transfer, we may have got £11m (or whatever the real amount was), but some of that profit on £2.1m, will’ve gone to SCO Angers as part of a sell-on clause....so less than £8.9m.

Also, it’s okay for done to say, had we not sold Kodjia we’d had a huge loss, but would some of that have been factored into the mid-season signings of Djúric, Geiger, Hegeler, Cotterill?  Gave us wiggle room imho.

4 hours ago, Nibor said:

Other interesting bits:

In other words, BCFC will always run at a loss in the Championship and have to rely on Lansdown's largesse as I cannot see us being able to sell a Kodjia or two every season and maintain upward momentum while wages spiral ever upward.

There is but one answer - Premiership football.  

What we have to think of is this..... we have for the most part signed players who have POTENTIAL to become serious assets and not spending silly £ on over the hill journeymen who are after a quick buck. We now have an infrastructure in place to develop talent and cash in on them if they don't fit into our club ethics. We have no billy big b0llox, maverick types, who upset the TEAM.

I know a lot of people who have been to the gate for xmas parties and ALL have said WOW, amazing facilities and ultra modern outlook, this will only grow and increase revenue. Not many businesses survive on 1 income stream nowadays.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Nice summary.

Re the Kodjia transfer, we may have got £11m (or whatever the real amount was), but some of that profit on £2.1m, will’ve gone to SCO Angers as part of a sell-on clause....so less than £8.9m.

Also, it’s okay for done to say, had we not sold Kodjia we’d had a huge loss, but would some of that have been factored into the mid-season signings of Djúric, Geiger, Hegeler, Cotterill?  Gave us wiggle room imho.

We live within our means and selling Kodjia allowed us to invest £££ into these players, unlikely we would have without selling Koj

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Probably yoyo ing between the prem and the champ is the best way to make money in this game at £90m a pop.

do you really get 90 million every time you are relegated, surely it's a rolling total or teams would find it more profitable just to deliberately yo yo.

21 minutes ago, pillred said:

do you really get 90 million every time you are relegated, surely it's a rolling total or teams would find it more profitable just to deliberately yo yo.

If you go straight back up, then your parachute money for seasons 2 and 3 is distributed back between the Prem Clubs.  If promo in season 2, then you get 2 year’s parachute and season 3’s money is distributed back to the Prem.

i think it’s something like £40m, £30m, £20m for years 1-3 respectively.  Someone will know the right figures.

7 hours ago, bpexile said:

My FotMob app says 6-30 am Thursday for South Australia, I just have to find a suitable stream to watch it. 

I have been recommended http://www.fromhot.com/  can anyone suggest some more as I really want to watch this game.

Just as an update, I have checked out the link I was given & it looks promising, I hope this helps others in the same position.

http://www.fromhot.com/

Screenshot_2017-12-20-18-56-48-1.png

Archived