IGNORED

anyone fancy a bet tomorrow night?

Sweeneys Penalties

Speaking of betting, THIS is the type of match that makes the point about insurance betting that @slartibartfast was trying to make to OSIB @Shtanley earlier in the season. This is an absolute insurance bet game which really proves that we do it wanting to win the match / lose our money.

The logic today is as follows: in your excitement, how much would you be prepared to pay for a once in a lifetime result? I expect it would be quite a large number, maybe even a silly number. So bet it on Utd, and play with fate - if fate usually finds a way to conspire against you, give it a challenge.

It wasn't well explained earlier in the season, but today is a game where you don't really expect a result so happily pay for one of two lucky outcomes. And believe me you really do it wanting to lose money. I did it in the Euro 2016 final in Paris not expecting much and was thrilled to lose a packet.

p.s. if you are betting a silly amount as emotional insurance, don't forget to bet on the "to qualify" market and not the match market (90 minutes) :facepalm:

@Olé I totally get the concept of what it is you do, but I just find it outrageous. I don’t think fate is moved in any way by you betting against your team. Why not bet nothing and if city win spend money on a night out or something as a celebration. Or just always bet on City to win or request a bets? I’m normally good at empathising or understanding where people are coming from but I’m afraid I just can’t quite understand why people insurance bet against city. Oh well there are more serious disagreements to worry about I suppose.

At least you’re not into half and half scarfs  

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

@Olé I totally get the concept of what it is you do, but I just find it outrageous. I don’t think fate is moved in any way by you betting against your team. Why not bet nothing and if city win spend money on a night out or something as a celebration. Or just always bet on City to win or request a bets? I’m normally good at empathising or understanding where people are coming from but I’m afraid I just can’t quite understand why people insurance bet against city. Oh well there are more serious disagreements to worry about I suppose.

At least you’re not into half and half scarfs  

I think it’s a superstitious thing, many people claim that if they bet on their own team that their team loses & they then lose their money so they refuse to back their own team.

So on that basis, if you back your teams opposition & your team wins, great, your team has won but you’ve lost money & if your team loses, you might of won some money......

I tend to find this is more prevalent if you back many teams in a accumulator & your team is the only one that lets you down because it is very rare that putting your money on a single of the outcome of the result of one game is very rewarding unless you bet large amounts.

6 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Irony of ironies.................I probably WON't be betting this one, price to prohibitive!

Back to normal for QPR.        I'm glad Ole mentioned "to qualify" as there might be a few disappointed punters IF it goes into extra time!

Solved my problem.........doubled up with QPR. Delighted if/when I lose !:fingerscrossed:

Archived