IGNORED

What is everyone thinking.....

BCFC@Frome

So tonight's match....

It's a strange one to describe.

Yes it's a massive game as one of the biggest clubs in the world are lucky enough to visit Ashton Gate and we aren't being talked about as "a little club from the West Country". I think this shows how far SL & co have moved our club and stadium forward, it's not totally unrealistic to be thinking these fixtures could be an actual thing next season.

But it's also massive for all those fans, including myself, to see our club in the 1/4 final of the league cup. No offence to the area semi final of the JPT, but this is a huge event for our club, again one we can one day hope will be the norm.

Unfortunately due to a broken ankle 3 weeks ago I have had to pass my ticket on, I'm not going to lie, as soon as we made it to the 1/4 final the thought of taking my boy to the match was exciting, to then draw the current holders and to see the excitement in his face knowing we were going to one of those "I was there" matches was the best feeling as a City loving father and son.

Maybe this post is more about explaining my thoughts (the wife doesn't quite understand), I am absolutely gutted to be missing this game, having suffered some awful football over the years and subjecting my boy to some woeful matches, this is the reward for all those who have been at Ashton Gate at our recent (and not so recent) worst.

Enjoy the occasion and create one hell of an atmosphere. This could well be our night, but if you are going with your son/daughter infact anyone you have been on or starting your BCFC journey with give the lads an extra cheer for those that can't make the game and let's hop it's a night that will live long in the memories for Tinnion-esque reasons.

Unlucky mate, at least it's on the telly do you can still - hopefully - see it. If you haven't got Sky get a one-day Sky Sports pass on NowTV where you can legally stream it on you pad or smart tv. 

Im looking forward to it; just not in a "must win" style. It's a bonus. A barometer. A chance to see our beloved AG packed to the rafters, in front of a worldwide audience, to show everyone we mean business as a club and as a sporting group. 

Win, lose or draw I'll be very proud of our club. 

I’m really excited even though I too, don’t have a ticket ( long story involving big family, returning uncles and my sister & I being kind!!) but am all geared up with my Now tv pass for tonight!! Feels like we’ve been waiting for ages and now the day is here ( very Christmassy!). I have a positive feel about today and am so very proud of my team who I know will go out there and give it their all. This team is something special and win or lose that’s what we’ll see tonight. COYR

The atmosphere will be great. Don't think we are going to win, unless it goes to the lottery of a penalty shootout and then it can be anybody's.

For me the great thing has been to see it constantly talked about. City have been put on the map as a result of this draw and it has raised the profile of the club for sure.

As a result I have witnessed many Gasheads in complete meltdown every time the City are mentioned on TV. God only knows what they will be like if we were to actually get promoted to the Premier League at the end of this season?!

I’m getting ready now, going to have a shower and a shave, iron my best Fred Perry, head to town for a brekkie, buy the last of my Xmas pressies, read all the papers in WH Smith, meet my daughter and treat her to a lunch, drop pressies home and then head to Bemmy to meet family and friends for a few Ciders.

Proud to be a City fan. We’ve been though all sorts of crap over the years, spent Christmas as 92nd on the league having been relegated straight through from the top, never won anything. But thanks to our Bristolian owner we’re back playing the best football for years  

Tonight for me and my 87 year old Dad who I’ll help up and down the stand to his seat. It’s for all my mates who I’ve sat with for many years, who are almost like my Saturday family. We’ve sat through the bad and the good times and put our time in for moments like this. 

It’s about me being with my fellow Bristolians hoping that the team I love can beat the biggest cash making machine in football.

Whatever happens, I’m going home hoarse tonight regardless of the result. If I can make a difference from the terraces I’ll bloody do it. 

I bloody love Bristol City. Come on Boys. Let’s give this everything, 

The only drawback for me is I'm in the Atyeo, which if the forum is anything to go by will be packed with Parker-wearing stone roses fans...after a 35 min online wait on priority 2 I went for the fist tickets available, not realising there were hundreds in the Lansdown still available  :facepalm:.

Anyhow, my daughter is now 14 and going through a non-interested stage with City, I pray she'll pick up the faith again one day :P. Gives me the chance to take my old man on her membership though, and I've even waived the ticket fee...after all he did pay for countless season tickets until I was 16 so it's the least I could do.

I'm hoping for a Christian Roberts-esq moment v Hartlepool, I reckon that night topped the Palace game, but only just.

Hope we do ourselves proud.

It just feels utterly surreal thay this is actually gapping TODAY! I've been a city fan since 97. In those 20 years we have not played a top 4 side in a meaningful game.

For me the most illustrious club's in the world are United, Barca and Real. No one else really comes close.

To be playing host to them at Ashton Gate and to even believe we have a slight chance is just utterly insane. 

I never thought I'd see this day tbh.

I’m just hoping it’s a bloody good game and we give our all, don’t leave anything behind in the dressing room and that the boys go out and make at least one half of Bristol (and beyond) proud, whatever the result.

Then it’s on to Saturday, business as usual when the Circus rolls out of town.

14 minutes ago, harrys said:

I’m getting ready now, going to have a shower and a shave, iron my best Fred Perry, head to town for a brekkie, buy the last of my Xmas pressies, read all the papers in WH Smith, meet my daughter and treat her to a lunch, drop pressies home and then head to Bemmy to meet family and friends for a few Ciders.

What a day! Enjoy! 

49 minutes ago, PolskRed said:

I am thinking... tonight should be a really good night for the fans and the club but I really hope we get three points at QPR on Saturday.

I had been looking forward to QPR more than this game - the league is always the priority especially given the amazing position we are in.  But the excitement hit last night when someone (apologies can't remember who) put the video up on here of the Forest semi in '89 and the excitement hit me all of a sudden, thinking back to what an amazing occasion that was and how today will somehow be a 'modern day' version of it. That day will live with me forever and compounded my love for City as a 11 year old who couldnt get to the Gate very often, and I'm sure today will start a love affair with City for a fair few kids hopefully as well as making new memories for us all of the club we love.     

Some great stories here are adding to the excitement as well. I've started work at 7.30 so I can be out the door early this afternoon and straight to BS3 to drink and soak up the atmosphere. Can't wait.

1 hour ago, Lord Northski said:

Whatever happens, I’m going home hoarse tonight regardless of the result. If I can make a difference from the terraces I’ll bloody do it. 

I bloody love Bristol City. Come on Boys. Let’s give this everything, 

The thing I remember about the Bradford quarter final in ‘89 was the role the fans played. We sang the team over the line and I believe really were that 12 th man. 

1 hour ago, BCFC@Frome said:

So tonight's match....

It's a strange one to describe.

Yes it's a massive game as one of the biggest clubs in the world are lucky enough to visit Ashton Gate and we aren't being talked about as "a little club from the West Country". I think this shows how far SL & co have moved our club and stadium forward, it's not totally unrealistic to be thinking these fixtures could be an actual thing next season.

But it's also massive for all those fans, including myself, to see our club in the 1/4 final of the league cup. No offence to the area semi final of the JPT, but this is a huge event for our club, again one we can one day hope will be the norm.

Unfortunately due to a broken ankle 3 weeks ago I have had to pass my ticket on, I'm not going to lie, as soon as we made it to the 1/4 final the thought of taking my boy to the match was exciting, to then draw the current holders and to see the excitement in his face knowing we were going to one of those "I was there" matches was the best feeling as a City loving father and son.

Maybe this post is more about explaining my thoughts (the wife doesn't quite understand), I am absolutely gutted to be missing this game, having suffered some awful football over the years and subjecting my boy to some woeful matches, this is the reward for all those who have been at Ashton Gate at our recent (and not so recent) worst.

Enjoy the occasion and create one hell of an atmosphere. This could well be our night, but if you are going with your son/daughter infact anyone you have been on or starting your BCFC journey with give the lads an extra cheer for those that can't make the game and let's hop it's a night that will live long in the memories for Tinnion-esque reasons.

We have waited years for some limelight. For too long this club has underachieved. I'm sure the media still treat us like a Chesterfield. Bristol is a rugby town blah blah. Working in London people say to me 'blimey what is hospitality at Bristol City, a shed?' Or 'wow you get more than 12,000' or 'are Rovers anywhere near you'

drives me mad. Bristol seems to be low on the radar nationally when it comes to sport. But tonight let's show the media and the world that we are a big club with great support and we play football not hoofball. As long as we run it close and don't get battered I'm happy. Just don't want extra time. QPR is more important. 

Just having breakfast and setting off by train to Bristol shortly. Decided to make the day of it with a mooch around Bristol and visit my sister before getting to the ground. 

Getting excited for tonight but in a nice non stressy way. Would absolutely love to win to be able to go into work and face down all those Man U fans (and I use that term loosely). Feel that if we are to win it needs to be in the 90 minutes - really don't fancy our chances on penalties.

See you hoards later COYR.

Love the thread about the fans in Oz making pre-dawn arrangements to watch the match .

Archived