IGNORED

Single greatest moments watching City

ChippenhamRed

18 hours ago, TRL said:

For me yes. We had not beaten them for years. Beating your local rivals meant and still for  mean more than beating man u.  Maybe football meant more to me back then

It was ten consecutive derby games without a win, over more than 4 years, and 5 years from our previous league win over them. And we finished second to them in 1989/90. That Donowa goal was enormously cathartic for thousands of us. I still have the 1:0 badge with the date.

However, it is time for us now to move on from those L1 tossers and start writing some serious history and creating some more magical memories on the national stage that are noticed by people beyond the small-fry world of Bristol football, moments and memories that make football people around the country and beyond sit up and applaud, moments like last night. 

Here's hoping last night was just the start

• Admin
15 minutes ago, JackiDziekanowski said:

Last night best by far - I actually thought I was going to pass out after Korey's winner. Had to hold on to the railing, crouch down and have a word with myself before continuing the euphoria!

Exactly same thing happened to me away at Mansfield 

Right up there.....although as an 11 year old boy the win over Hereford in the freight rover semi in1986 that took us to Wembley is still special. Donowa v Rovers, Mardon v Forest, Tins at Anfield, Roberts v Hartlepool all magic in their own way

Hartlepool was sited by Louis Carey and many others as the loudest Ashton Gate has ever been. I’ll also call it a tie. I went from head in my hands almost unable to bear watching any more to complete euphoria and disbelief when Roberts scored. Last night was basically as good though (albeit a different context), my God it was loud! 

1st. For me Murray's double always tops my list vs Cardiff. It was the atmosphere, against them and 3 goals in 6 mins. Regretted the half time burger!!

2nd. Roberts goal vs hartlepool, never seen the gate bouncing like that before. Let's not forget Goodfellow who equalised to make 'that' moment happen! 

3rd. I was lucky enough to be in the away end for nobles goal vs palace. Palace were quiet up until they scored then bang, limbs everywhere!!

4th. Palace at home. The atmosphere in extra time was incredible. Trundles then McIndoes strikes raising the roof!

On 21/12/2017 at 00:20, gow2gooseya said:

Donny Gillies' goal at Leeds

Or how about the Whitehead goal against Portsmouth that put us in the old first division

Funnily enough I woke up thinking about a top 10 list and these were definitely in it. Strangely, because Whiteheads goal was in the 3rd minute, it didn't have the same impact, the final whistle did though. :)

I also would go with @Kid in the Riots suggestion of Roberts V Hartlepool. 

In the end, it's not just the goal, it's the game and the significance that has to be factored in.

For pure drama, stakes and crowd reaction it has to be Hartlepool, 2 mins to go 1-0 down Goodgame builds up the crowd with an equaliser, 2 mins later Roberts dribbles through and the crowd get nitro injection! Total pandemonium!

For pure enjoyment and watching the best city football ever, and this includes the 76-77-78-79 teams, it had to be Wednesday night!

Another vote for Gillies at Coventry.

When you take 18,000 odd fans away and then grab an equaliser from 2-0 down to save your 1 division status, for Bristol City at least, it just can’t get much better! Was in their open end that night too, so happened in front of me and a few thousand other late arrivals.

Korey’s is close to it mind, alongside Paul Marden’s I’d say somewhere in the top 5.

Happy days.

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 02:49, TRL said:

For me yes. We had not beaten them for years. Beating your local rivals meant and still for  mean more than beating man u.  Maybe football meant more to me back then

Me too mate.

After 5 years and 10 games without a win against them - it was a very emotional moment when Donowa scored in the 89th min.

A gashead that I worked with at the time, said the noise from all around him, made him feel about an inch high!

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Funnily enough I woke up thinking about a top 10 list and these were definitely in it. Strangely, because Whiteheads goal was in the 3rd minute, it didn't have the same impact, the final whistle did though. :)

I also would go with @Kid in the Riots suggestion of Roberts V Hartlepool. 

In the end, it's not just the goal, it's the game and the significance that has to be factored in.

We invaded the pitch at the end then too. Strangely nobody said anything....

18 minutes ago, Bob Taylor is GOD said:

Me too mate.

After 5 years and 10 games without a win against them - it was a very emotional moment when Donowa scored in the 89th min.

A gashead that I worked with at the time, said the noise from all around him, made him feel about an inch high!

It is the one and only time I have lost my voice at a football match.

If you weren't there and didn't live through those 5 years of gas lording it over us then I don't think you could ever understand what a great moment it was.

Beats Man U, Liverpool, Crystal Palace and Hartlepool hands down. As much as I loved these  games and they are right up there, the emotion and the timing of that goal.... it probably will never be beaten for me.  

I am sure people going to games earlier than the late 70's will have their thoughts on better moments.. But in my lifetime of watching city it doesn't get better... granted gas and us were huge rivals back then which is what made it so special.

All of the above but I`m surprised only one mention for Martyn Hirst v the g*s. That meant so much in the overall scheme of things back then. City were back and fighting again.

Respect @Gillies Downs Leeds

Another great moment for me - but not a goal- was sitting on the terraces at Wembley sobbing my heart out after we`d won the FRT. My club winning a trophy at Wembley back when it meant something to do that.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

All of the above but I`m surprised only one mention for Martyn Hirst v the g*s. That meant so much in the overall scheme of things back then. City were back and fighting again.

Respect @Gillies Downs Leeds

Another great moment for me - but not a goal- was sitting on the terraces at Wembley sobbing my heart out after we`d won the FRT. My club winning a trophy at Wembley back when it meant something to do that.

And Trevor Morgans goal at Chester

Certain goals seemed to lift us as a Club and appeared to be in a moment , a stepping stone in progression

Koreys goal felt like that , as if it cemented to all of us and many many watching around the globe that we are the real deal

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And Trevor Morgans goal at Chester

Certain goals seemed to lift us as a Club and appeared to be in a moment , a stepping stone in progression

Koreys goal felt like that , as if it cemented to all of us and many many watching around the globe that we are the real deal

You can never explain to anyone who doesn`t support a club to the extent we do how these moments feel - it`s impossible to describe rationally.

I suppose it`s raw emotion really, something that is deep down in the psyche of every human being but is normally kept well hidden.

Dear God though, it is a powerful and wonderful thing when it does surface.

To think I thought it was only a cup game, but man I was wrong, emotions are still sky high!! Growing up all my mates, the whole school, supporting them, United were the best, still not a half decent outfit and we smashed them in every aspect of the game, my sons first game, a last minute goal, Joe Bryan crying at the end, pure ecstasy 

Archived