IGNORED

Fantastic night, great result, BUT...

old_eastender

Well that has to be right up there with FA Cup wins at Leeds after a replay in 73 and winning at Anfield to knock out Liverpool in 84.

BUT two concerns when all the euphoria passes...

1. How will our injury depleted squad cope with 2 more games in Jan, where they players are going to have to play with ultra high intensity like last night. Will that cost us vital points in the league?  I guess QPR away on Saturday will provide the answer, just hope we are not too leg weary and drop points as a result.

2. The performance of Joe Bryan in particular might well spur a Premiership side to come in for him with big money in Jan, would be difficult to block such a move and losing him, or others like Brownhill, could be a real blow to our promotion aspirations. Hopefully if a mid-table Prem club come calling (like Everton), we might be able to sell but keep him on loan for rest of season. 

I don’t think we’ll sell anyone unless it’s for stupid money this window. Bryan minimum of 12m, bobby 10m etc 

the first thing SL and LJ should do is get a striker in as we definetely need another, as well as getting some high quality  championship/low prem players in to ride this wave of momentum 

Why would we sell, money? Well we got money, we aren’t a poor club.  Why would they go, money, perhaps? The chance to play in the Prem? well they can stay and see what we can achieve. They won’t want to move before they get a chance of playing against Man City so that’s some incentive to stay. 

I cant see anyone like Arsenal, Chelsea etc coming in for them, so they would join maybe a struggling team, Managerless Swansea, West Brom, Stoke etc who might not suit their style of play. Maybe Bournemouth, Huddersfield or Brighton. They might as well stay and finish the job they are involved with here. 

No, we aren’t selling. We have built this team are aren’t about to disassemble it for a few quid we don’t desperately need.

2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Well that has to be right up there with FA Cup wins at Leeds after a replay in 73 and winning at Anfield to knock out Liverpool in 84.

BUT two concerns when all the euphoria passes...

1. How will our injury depleted squad cope with 2 more games in Jan, where they players are going to have to play with ultra high intensity like last night. Will that cost us vital points in the league?  I guess QPR away on Saturday will provide the answer, just hope we are not too leg weary and drop points as a result.

2. The performance of Joe Bryan in particular might well spur a Premiership side to come in for him with big money in Jan, would be difficult to block such a move and losing him, or others like Brownhill, could be a real blow to our promotion aspirations. Hopefully if a mid-table Prem club come calling (like Everton), we might be able to sell but keep him on loan for rest of season. 

The Championship is a much more demanding league in terms of games than the PL. The squad is used to two games  in 1/52 virtually every week and this season LJs high press and high energy has become expected.

The only slight concern I have is the come down after such a tremendous win and the high that goes with. That said I'm sure LJ will be aware of that and adopt the right approach to assist the lads recover in time for QPR.

JB has been on the radar of several PL clubs for a while now and last night his MoM performance will attract even more interest but I seriously doubt he'd want to move anywhere in January essentially as City are flying in the Championship with a realistic promotion chance. He'd want to stay and hopefully play in the PL with City.

If we don't reach the PL then he'll be off in the summer.

I don't think any of this squad will want to leave in January, especially not players like Bryan. 

Imagine winning promotion to the Premier League whilst playing for your hometown club. As a professional footballer, that has to be one of the best feelings ever. 

If we don't manage to go up - and it's a long season - he could, and probably will be off in the Summer.

1. I think you're right; the players looked shattered by about 70 minutes. I think LJ will have to make some changes for QPR

2. I doubt anyone important will move out in January; it'd be swapping possible glory for mid table mediocrity or a relegation scrap. The market for Bryan, Flint, Reid, etc., will be bigger in the summer and if we haven't gone up they can all go for big money with everyone's blessing

That said, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if a bigger club came in for Bryan after that performance. He was unbelievable 

2 more games - let’s be honest we have to throw in the u23s against Watford - that will save one game and as a result mean we get a weekend off for the 4th round as well (assuming we lose!) 

Players filtering back late Jan and some loan/buys are essential after new year 

18 minutes ago, Taz said:

I don't think any of this squad will want to leave in January, especially not players like Bryan. 

Imagine winning promotion to the Premier League whilst playing for your hometown club. As a professional footballer, that has to be one of the best feelings ever. 

If we don't manage to go up - and it's a long season - he could, and probably will be off in the Summer.

Absolutely, Not the kind of lad to stick two fingers up to his teammate and the club, in fact what makes our players so special is I dont think ANy of them would choose to leave in Jan, they have all given blood sweat and tears to get this far, but who knows maybe i'm wrong

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

2 more games - let’s be honest we have to throw in the u23s against Watford - that will save one game and as a result mean we get a weekend off for the 4th round as well (assuming we lose!) 

Dangerous assumption that Tom ;) 

7 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Need QPR to beat MK Dons then. We're due to play them at home weekend of FA Cup 4th Round. 

9 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Spot on; the Watford game is now bottom of our priorities.

Whilst I never want City to lose, the last thing we need right now is an F.A. Cup run 

(NEVER thought I would say that !)

Almost every club in the world is a selling club. If bigger sides are interested in our players then we're finally doing something right. If Bryan goes we have COD back from injury at some point and the England U20 left back sat on the bench waiting for a chance. I'd prefer him to stay but I don't think it would be a disaster now.

32 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Whilst I never want City to lose, the last thing we need right now is an F.A. Cup run 

Completely agree.

As said above play the U23's at Watford.

Need to get as much rest into the first team as possible, that said they are a young team but the way we play is very demanding physically and mentally.

Reinforcements  were always going to come next month given where we are but the performance and the cash will have helped potentially a player previously thought not possible.

The money from the semi won't be small change either!

This cup run is fantastic as was last night, but it's all about 3 points at Loftus Rd now

37 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

I know you’re supposed to say “I never want us to lose”, and that is always true to a certain extent.

But I can’t help but feel that losing at Watford would be for the greater good.

I get we have ambitious young players but they will understand it is a special season and I can’t believe any will push to move in January that has been part of our main 15 players or so. They know something special is going on here and they will want to see it out. Most of our starting XI will have premier league interest after this season so I believe they will be content with knowing they can make a step up in the summer with another club in the worst case scenario. 

44 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I know you’re supposed to say “I never want us to lose”, and that is always true to a certain extent.

But I can’t help but feel that losing at Watford would be for the greater good.

The problem could be that Watford will want to lose as well .

It could come down to who wants it the least . 

:yes:

Don’t underestimate the U23’s!

As for the 3 Manchester games, and even previous rounds,  it’s all income that we didn’t budget for so gives us a nice bit of cash to spend along with what we had already put aside. Obviously we won’t spend for the sake of it, but it’s a nice cushion to have. I doubt if we dared to dream that we would be where we are in the league either, if we can’t attract what we need now we never will.

Archived