IGNORED

The Other Manchester thread

wendyredredrobin

So following all of the build up to and the euphoria of last night, it's all going to happen again and we have to play some other team from Manchester in the semi finals over 2 legs.

This lot will be a different proposition to their plastic neighbours but the build up, buying tickets and priority classes start over again.

Man City are really a classy outfit with probably the best manager in the world at the moment and will take some beating over 2 legs (a one off performance is more likely).

So how many tickets will they let us have for the first leg and how many of us will be able to go up for a weekday game.  Also how many tickets will we give them?

The fun all starts over.

Dates for your diary:

Carabao Cup Semi-Final first leg: Week commencing 8th January 2018

Carabao Cup Semi-Final second leg: Week commencing 22nd January 2018

Carabao Cup Final: Sunday 25th February 2018

Fancied Arsenal as I thought we could out muscle them.

But the more I think the more I don’t mind having Man City. Yes they’re quality, but they will surely play a weakened team, mainly U23’s etc and we can certainly upset them physically. They won’t know what hit them with Flint and Baker.

They’re in for the quadruple and this will be bottom of the list.

Being realistic this is a much less winnable tie against a team that may be the best club side in the world currently.

The home leg will be an interesting game if we can come back from the Etihad still in touching distance but that is a big ask.

I can't help but think a high pressing game will play into their hands because they have the passing approach and quality to bypass very very quickly.  

We should start by looking at how Wolves approached it tactically. 

Whilst we should approach the game positively and confidently we also need to think practically about the remainder of our season and our squad availability. 

If we're in the top six we may need to prioritise.  Hopefully there will be a couple of strong signings in early Jan that help with this though.

With the United game my hopes were that we would do ourselves proud, play our game and offer something to the match instead of being a doormat. It's the same here, other than I feel there's a bigger chance of the latter. City will play a weakened side, but just remember a weakened side likely means Yaya Toure and Bernardo Silva. After tonight, though, I think Flint and Baker can deal with Aguero.

Man City previous EFL line ups:

Vs West Brom:

Bravo,  Delph, Mangala, Stones, Danilo, Toure, Gündogan, Sterling, Bernardo, Sané, Jesus. Substitutes:  Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Walker, Foden, Diaz, Adarabioyo, Ederson

Vs Wolves: 

Bravo, Danilo, Mangala, Adarabioyo, Zinchenko, Bernardo, Toure, Sterling, Gündoğan , Agüero, Jesus. Substitutes: Ederson, Walker, Stones, De Bruyne, Delph, Sané, Nmecha

Vs Leicester:
Bravo, Danilo, Mangala, Adarabioyo, Zinchenko, Yaya Toure, Diaz, Foden, Bernardo, Gundogan, G Jesus. Substitutes: Ederson, Walker, Delph, Sane, Nmecha, Duhaney, Dele-Bashiru

Made more changes in the Leicester game last round then the first two...

7 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Being realistic this is a much less winnable tie against a team that may be the best club side in the world currently.

The home leg will be an interesting game if we can come back from the Etihad still in touching distance but that is a big ask..

I agree with that.  Man City are probably the best side in the world at the moment and there is no doubt that they are the best in England.

If we can somehow get out of the first leg with the scores level or being only a goal behind then I think we have a small chance when they come to the Gate.  It’s a very small chance but then I thought that about last night and we not only managed it, we looked the better team!

Going to be incredible seeing the two best teams in the country play each other.

Man City play Liverpool and Newcastle inbetween the two legs.  We have Norwich and Derby.

7 games in December and now 7 games in January. Really tough for our squad. Hopefully we might have a few of the injured back in time for the Semis?

52 minutes ago, !james said:

Man City previous EFL line ups:

Vs West Brom:

Bravo,  Delph, Mangala, Stones, Danilo, Toure, Gündogan, Sterling, Bernardo, Sané, Jesus. Substitutes:  Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Walker, Foden, Diaz, Adarabioyo, Ederson

Vs Wolves: 

Bravo, Danilo, Mangala, Adarabioyo, Zinchenko, Bernardo, Toure, Sterling, Gündoğan , Agüero, Jesus. Substitutes: Ederson, Walker, Stones, De Bruyne, Delph, Sané, Nmecha

Vs Leicester:
Bravo, Danilo, Mangala, Adarabioyo, Zinchenko, Yaya Toure, Diaz, Foden, Bernardo, Gundogan, G Jesus. Substitutes: Ederson, Walker, Delph, Sane, Nmecha, Duhaney, Dele-Bashiru

Made more changes in the Leicester game last round then the first two...

none of those names mean anything to me…apart from Toure :blink:

Agree with all of the points regarding Man City, if they play their strongest team it could be embarrassing. They are the best side in Europe by a country mile - I fully expect them to win the CL this season.

All that said I doubt Pep will play his first eleven although I do expect a very strong bench.

Its a free hit for us again and hopefully the second leg does have some meaning.

As it is 2 legged, I expect away tickets will be more plentyful as both teams will want to come to a good agreement.

They wont fill the Ethiad so will give us lots of tickets and I expect us to give them the entire Atyeo in return.

That does mean that AG tickets will be in greater demand than last nights

How many will we take as the Bristol team with the best away support?  

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

They’re in for the quadruple and this will be bottom of the list.

We're up for the triple, and the League Cup isn't the top priority (despite how much it might feel at the moment)!

Remember, with promotion we get to play both Manchester clubs home & away next season.

12 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

The first leg I can see them fielding a very weak side, safe in the knowledge that if they do mess up then they can bring the big hitters to Ashton Gate.

I think the opposite. Play a strong team and win it in the first leg.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

I think the opposite. Play a strong team and win it in the first leg.

They have Burnley before the first leg in the FA cup and Liverpool after, I can see Man City playing a 'weakened' team against us to win both the others, then full strength if needed at Ashton Gate.

Bloody loved last night but this Zenith Data trophy is screwing will our chances of going up. As Korey said on local radio this morning, we’re so short of players, we had to put kids on the bench last night.

Spreading ourselves to thinly means we’ll compete in everything and win nothing. Promotion is the only thing that matters. 

Choose right and we could play teams like Man Utd and Man City every week.

Or choose the wrong one and we play Brentford, Burton and Millwall and maybe get a cup run with a chance of a big team. 

For me it’s a no brainer. 

Part of me wishes we were at home in the first leg.  It would be such a shame to take on such a big team at the Gate, on what could be another huge occasion, with City already 3 or 4 goals down.  It would take the edge off it massively.

If offered now I think I'd take a narrow one-goal defeat in the first leg.  I just want us still to be in the tie when we bring it back here.

13 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

Bloody loved last night but this Zenith Data trophy is screwing will our chances of going up. As Korey said on local radio this morning, we’re so short of players, we had to put kids on the bench last night.

Spreading ourselves to thinly means we’ll compete in everything and win nothing. Promotion is the only thing that matters. 

Choose right and we could play teams like Man Utd and Man City every week.

Or choose the wrong one and we play Brentford, Burton and Millwall and maybe get a cup run with a chance of a big team. 

For me it’s a no brainer. 

Totally agree.

It's not putting a downer on last night, but next season we'll be playing these sort of teams every few weeks, not once in 30 years.

The owner knows this. The manger knows this. The team knows this.

got to say they are generally pretty respectful bunch on here http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/carabao-cup-sf-draw-bristol-city.332132/

You can understand them all thinking it will be a stroll in the park the way they are playing but there are more than a few mentions that the 2nd leg could be a difficult place to come if we have anything to play for still.

The chances that the next Manchester team will also be managed by another arrogant and  naive tosspot who’ll allow us to catch them napping are pretty much zero. 

As a person on the Man Utd forum put it. What the hell were we thinking making 9 changes to the team against a City side that won 9 out of 11 and also knocking out 3 premiership teams. 

Our secret is now known to everyone. We pass the ball around better than anyone in the Championship and probably a portion of the Premiership. We will stick it up everyone, and don’t give a crap who they are. We’ve attack you in every area of the field and nick the ball off you. In essence, we’ve poked the bear. 

As Man City now know this, our chances of progressing further in the competition are significantly reduced. Our championship rivals now know that we’re to be handled with extreme care and they’ll park the bus and not be cavalier especially at Ashton. Basically, our season’s just got a lot harder. Beating Bristol City now has more cred points and teams are going to try a lot harder against us. 

As such, Man City a wall too high for a team that didn’t have enough 1st team substitutes to fill the bench last night. Play the reserves against Man City as  promotion is the only goal that matters now. 

Archived