IGNORED

Joe Bryan

man in the middle

Fair play Joe was my MOTM by a country mile last night he’s premier league class all day long. After that game the world has now seen what we see week in week out and I’m convinced he’ll be playing premiership football very soon, I just hope it’s with us.

I’m now wondering what his value is now and how much we’d be prepared to let him go for if anyone comes in for him in January? I hope to god they don’t but you could never stand In his way.

I’d want at least £15M myself, thoughts?

To lose such a key player in a promotion push could be suicide for us, we have to do everything in our power to keep our regular players or we could upset the balance/harmony of this squad.

If we fail to make the Premiership next season we will have a hard job to keep players like Joe.

7 minutes ago, Bobby Bollax said:

I’m really pleased for the lad. Most of this forum decided he wasn’t good enough the past 2 seasons.

He wasn’t. I’ve been critical of Joe because there is clear talent there but he wasn’t always applying it. As I’ve also said a few times this season, I have seen definite signs of improvement. 

What I would strongly point out though is that he is having his best games as a left midfielder as opposed to left back. I’ve been someone who thinks that Joe is not quite getting the positional responsibility of the full back role, that’s been his main improvement area required. As a left mid he’s been super. As a left back he’s been just decent (in my opinion). 

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

He wasn’t. I’ve been critical of Joe because there is clear talent there but he wasn’t always applying it. As I’ve also said a few times this season, I have seen definite signs of improvement. 

What I would strongly point out though is that he is having his best games as a left midfielder as opposed to left back. I’ve been someone who thinks that Joe is not quite getting the positional responsibility of the full back role, that’s been his main improvement area required. As a left mid he’s been super. As a left back he’s been just decent (in my opinion). 

The same applies to Aidan Flint. Many on here writing him off. I’m glad they’ve both been given time to adapt to the championship.

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

Personally I haven’t seen him have a bad game at LB whereas he’s certainly had some off days when playing left midfield, on his day he’s top class in either position 

29 minutes ago, harrys said:

Personally I haven’t seen him have a bad game at LB whereas he’s certainly had some off days when playing left midfield, on his day he’s top class in either position 

I’d disagree. There are countless occasions at left back where he’s been the weak link. I’m not saying he’s rubbish, but his positional sense & his urgency to regain shape after losing possession are definitely areas for improvement. 

2 hours ago, harrys said:

The poster also thinks he only got in the side because he was from Bristol and he cant shoot. thankfully Lee Johnson thinks different.

3 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Great game.  Needs to work on his goal slide....he had a shocker!!!

I think he was in disbelief and didn't really know how to celebrate or what to do! So much better seeing a raw, passionate celebration than some pathetic dance such as this:

610084506.jpg?w=748&h=498&crop=1

4 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I think he was in disbelief and didn't really know how to celebrate or what to do! So much better seeing a raw, passionate celebration than some pathetic dance such as this:

Its all the plastics in the background creaming themselves watching it that kills me.. ugh they make me sick Man Ure 'fans' 

2 hours ago, bris red said:

Its all the plastics in the background creaming themselves watching it that kills me.. ugh they make me sick Man Ure 'fans' 

Grown men giving it the folded arms and giggles, watching two people paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week do a dance. AMF.

5 hours ago, Coppello said:

I think he was in disbelief 

Nah... As soon as it left his boot it was in. He probably was the only one in the stadium in that split second knew it was gonna crash into the net.... Boom the release was so pure...

... His attempted slide not so much. Korey on the other hand nailed it!!

Must be a good day in OTIB land,  where we are discussing the merits of two goal celebrations against Manchester. 

Note to the players;

JB ran about 5 yards from the corner flag... Not so accommodating. Attempted slide .. nope back on his feet... Did not come off. Mobbed by team mates. 

KS ran level or just over the line ... Far more slippery. At least 6-8 yards slide'idge. Managed to get arms by his side for maximum effect. Mobbed by team mates and fan. 

....what am I going on about. The 24 hour birthday of the win. We all get a cider pass. It ends at noon. 

Going to stop now. 

11 hours ago, Bobby Bollax said:

I’m really pleased for the lad. Most of this forum decided he wasn’t good enough the past 2 seasons.

I don't understand posts like these.

City were crap for a couple of seasons, Joe Bryan was average, Aden was not always this good. 

Things change.

13 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Maybe an England call up for Joe isn't so far away. It seems he has been watched quite a few times and LJ urging Strachan to call him up for Scotland might push Southgate into giving him a game so he doesn't become ineligible for us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42450545

Based on Wednesdays performance alone, I thought there can't be many better wing/full backs at present.

As for Scottish ones.....

11 hours ago, harrys said:

He does switch off-when Leon Clarke cut in to run on goal and score v Sheff UTC Joe could have shut him out but stood off and just let him in.....either couldn't be botherd or was blowing so hard he just wrapped 'ees tits-not gutsy enough for me at times,particularly as a full back and although his game has obviously improved he needs to be stronger/man up-definitely a better option as left mid with his ability to strike the ball!

With Magners settling very well into left back and looking good we should keep as is and if tactically a change at left mid required don't suddenly drop Magners to accommodate Joe..

1 minute ago, Robert the bruce said:

No ones ever indispensable..

Best player in his position in this division and our back ups are a CB and a teenager.

Unless someone comes in with an absolutely obscene amount, and I'm talking over £20m, we should say no.

Is his actual value £20m? No. 

But what he adds to the team and what we are currently pushing for is worth over £100m.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

He does switch off-when Leon Clarke cut in to run on goal and score v Sheff UTC Joe could have shut him out but stood off and just let him in.....either couldn't be botherd or was blowing so hard he just wrapped 'ees tits-not gutsy enough for me at times,particularly as a full back and although his game has obviously improved he needs to be stronger/man up-definitely a better option as left mid with his ability to strike the ball!

With Magners settling very well into left back and looking good we should keep as is and if tactically a change at left mid required don't suddenly drop Magners to accommodate Joe..

And that sums up why he is misunderstood.

I can do manned upped and gutsy but I would be shit. Modern football needs universiality and that is what Bristol City and Lee Johnson are heading towards. As others have pointed out the bigger the  bigger the technical base the bigger the pyramid. Joe Bryans technical base is bigger than all's and that is where the future lies. He offers tactical flexibility in  aside that needs it.

Reframe this supposed poor work ethic Joe Bryan is labelled with. Players need to be more gutsy and work harder to get technical. That is where the game is and going.

Players pass the ball now far more than they did ten years ago (the Cardiff asides) . As some like to say that is a fact. Players are also now are running on average 3k more than they did ten years ago. Another fact. The more players give it away? The more they have to run. So? Get more, develop more Joes and less of the gutsy types who lose possession cheaply.

14 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

The poster also thinks he only got in the side because he was from Bristol and he cant shoot. thankfully Lee Johnson thinks different.

2 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

Mmmmm not evading the points much. you got it totally wrong and would have kept him out of the side. Somebody as talented has to play odd mistakes and all. The kid is mustard and you were 100% wrong. 

Ok then. We’ll do this again and I’ll answer your points again. 

I’ve never said he only got in the side because he’s from Bristol. What I have said before is that when he was on a run of poor form (which most people acknowledge he was for a lot of the previous 2 seasons), that most fans didn’t give him as much criticism than they would had he not been a Bristolian. So I didn’t say he got picked because he’s from Bristol, I said he receives less critique because he’s from Bristol.  You’ve paraphrased and got it wrong. 

Onto your 2nd point. I never said “he can’t shoot”. This harks back a number of weeks where someone had posted that he was “known for his shooting”. I replied that whilst Joe had scored some goals he wasn’t exactly famed for his shooting. Since then, his Palace goal followed that week from memory, and then his goal v Man U would now suggest his shooting is now “known”. Again, you paraphrased and got it wrong. 

Hope that’s clear for you now. 

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Ok then. We’ll do this again and I’ll answer your points again. 

I’ve never said he only got in the side because he’s from Bristol. What I have said before is that when he was on a run of poor form (which most people acknowledge he was for a lot of the previous 2 seasons), that most fans didn’t give him as much criticism than they would had he not been a Bristolian. So I didn’t say he got picked because he’s from Bristol, I said he receives less critique because he’s from Bristol.  You’ve paraphrased and got it wrong. 

Onto your 2nd point. I never said “he can’t shoot”. This harks back a number of weeks where someone had posted that he was “known for his shooting”. I replied that whilst Joe had scored some goals he wasn’t exactly famed for his shooting. Since then, his Palace goal followed that week from memory, and then his goal v Man U would now suggest his shooting is now “known”. Again, you paraphrased and got it wrong. 

Hope that’s clear for you now. 

No even in this thread you say he was not worth his place last season.  Lee Johnson's perseverance has helped turn him into a cracking player. When you are as good as Joe Bryan you play them and its vital they play to develop and be challenged. Lee Johnson saw the long game with Joe Bryan and that is rare in a game that wants everything now. The way you bang on you expect him to be world class. Be thankful City have a real home produced player on their hands highlighting what the club can do. It is brilliant to see.

Archived