IGNORED

Joe Bryan

man in the middle

He's gone into the stratosphere this season for me. Let's have it right though, @Harry is entirely correct in his assessment of Bryan for much of last season. Indeed, he was bombed out of the team by LJ for large parts due to his form. So not sure this 'perseverence' argument holds much water.

But he's realising his potential this season and the summit of his potential IS Premier League football. The fact England scouts are watching him tells you everything. Best English left sided player in this division. 

40 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He's gone into the stratosphere this season for me. Let's have it right though, @Harry is entirely correct in his assessment of Bryan for much of last season. Indeed, he was bombed out of the team by LJ for large parts due to his form. So not sure this 'perseverence' argument holds much water.

But he's realising his potential this season and the summit of his potential IS Premier League football. The fact England scouts are watching him tells you everything. Best English left sided player in this division. 

Lee Johnson did persevere with Joe Bryan.

The why? If you were profiling a player to be receptive and to suit BCFC's style of play I would call it Joe Bryan. The way some posters go on about his defensive qualities you would think it was Lee Tomlin playing instead of Joe Bryan. Modern football demands technicality and athleticism. Joe Bryan clearly has worked damned hard at both but It is that technical ability that makes him what he is. It was always a case of patience with this player. He is no lower league hoofer, and that is what some do not get. Technical comes first,  and technical ability comes from endless practice and application which is Joe Bryan. He is now approaching the age where he will athletically be at his peak, he will continue to improve psychologically and be able to apply himself defensively more effectively, but without that technical ability and the patience in developing a player you have bang average and hoofers. 

It is a lesson to supporters. Do not be so ready to attack players at 21, 22, 23 for perceived flaws because it is about about process and creating players to fit the identity Lee Johnson mentioned last night on TV. Bristol City are getting something very very right there. 

I think this is a valid fear - JB didn't just get UK coverage, he got world coverage, as did all the City players.

I think we have to be honest here - some Prem sides are going to come in for a couple of players - and hard. Maybe European, or even Chinese (and they have serious money)

For the club to be more financially secure, these will probably be accepted if big enough.  I would really hope the scouting staff/LJ/MA have a long list of replacements lined up in each position

Personally I honestly believe the following offers would see these players leave.

Bryan - 15m

Flint 8-10m

Reid - 5m ( I would definitely take this as he is having a freak of a goalscoring year)

I can also see bids in for Baker, Brownhill, Patterson - and I think another championship side would consider shelling out 1.5 - 2m on Taylor (and I think we would take that).

In fact there are probably 10 players who are in the form of their lives right now.

Luke Steele pretty much put himself in the shop window - why would he not take the starting #1 at another top half champ team, or even lower prem?

I don't want the players to go obviously but if there is 30 - 40 million on the table, plus huge pay rises, the players win, SL finally makes some money on transfers and the squad gets torn apart

I really hope we have considered this (and I'm sure we have) BUT if you are Joe Bryan or Aden Flint and Everton (for example) offer you 40k per week, 500k signing on fee and a 3 yr deal in one of the most established PL teams, why wouldn't they take it?

That's nearly 7 mil over 3 years!

Their careers are one bad injury away from ending , every time they go on the pitch, we have seen it happen to players before.

They want to raise their kids the very best they can, and make enough to be comfortable until their dotage.

Who would blame Flinty for accepting an offer that will keep him, his wife and kids, and even his parents financially secure for the rest of their lives.

It's a short career in football, and you generally only get one shot at the big time.

Manchester United are preparing an opening offer of £25m for Fulham left-back Ryan Sessegnon, with Jose Mourinho ready to let Luke Shaw leave Old Trafford in order to sign the 17-year-old England youth international. (Guardian)

A benchmark for Joe's value ?

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Manchester United are preparing an opening offer of £25m for Fulham left-back Ryan Sessegnon, with Jose Mourinho ready to let Luke Shaw leave Old Trafford in order to sign the 17-year-old England youth international. (Guardian)

A benchmark for Joe's value ?

If that's Sessegnons value then there's nothing wrong with us demanding £20m+.

Bryan is the better player at this moment, but is over 5 years older so some of the price Manchester would be paying is for potential and Sessegnon probably has a higher potential than Joe.

It could be argued that we could demand more due to the promotion race as well.

8 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Ditto for some of the way over the top stick that Bobby was getting a year ago. 

Evidently an example of the academy too small players. Game speed to combat strength can also be coached in. Here 's to more too small goals and performances.

1 minute ago, BarnzFM said:

I think Joe and Bobby are the proof that players generally are released to early at 18,19,20,21 - both have moved forward so much it shows keeping players till at least 23 is worthwhile 

I think the puppy farm mentality of the huge clubs is testament to that. Several of our current squad were released by larger clubs and have flourished, where some kept on haven't.

41 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

post six. as others point out City are progressing by keeping faith in players. 

Not sure how long you wanna keep this argument going mate, but nowhere in post #6 do I state anywhere that he’s not worth his place. Try again. 

I did agree that at times in the last 2 years he wasn’t playing well enough, but I’ve never mentioned dropping him - I just wanted him to be better (as it’s always been clear he ‘could’ be, but wasn’t showing it). 

I’m glad he’s performing well and getting plaudits, but let’s not pretend he’s not got a lot to do still to be a consistently good full back. Again, let’s remember, the praise he’s had this last few weeks has been as a left midfielder, not as full back. 

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 01:09, SX227 said:

I think this is a valid fear - JB didn't just get UK coverage, he got world coverage, as did all the City players.

I think we have to be honest here - some Prem sides are going to come in for a couple of players - and hard. Maybe European, or even Chinese (and they have serious money)

For the club to be more financially secure, these will probably be accepted if big enough.  I would really hope the scouting staff/LJ/MA have a long list of replacements lined up in each position

Personally I honestly believe the following offers would see these players leave.

Bryan - 15m

Flint 8-10m

Reid - 5m ( I would definitely take this as he is having a freak of a goalscoring year)

I can also see bids in for Baker, Brownhill, Patterson - and I think another championship side would consider shelling out 1.5 - 2m on Taylor (and I think we would take that).

In fact there are probably 10 players who are in the form of their lives right now.

Luke Steele pretty much put himself in the shop window - why would he not take the starting #1 at another top half champ team, or even lower prem?

I don't want the players to go obviously but if there is 30 - 40 million on the table, plus huge pay rises, the players win, SL finally makes some money on transfers and the squad gets torn apart

I really hope we have considered this (and I'm sure we have) BUT if you are Joe Bryan or Aden Flint and Everton (for example) offer you 40k per week, 500k signing on fee and a 3 yr deal in one of the most established PL teams, why wouldn't they take it?

That's nearly 7 mil over 3 years!

Their careers are one bad injury away from ending , every time they go on the pitch, we have seen it happen to players before.

They want to raise their kids the very best they can, and make enough to be comfortable until their dotage.

Who would blame Flinty for accepting an offer that will keep him, his wife and kids, and even his parents financially secure for the rest of their lives.

It's a short career in football, and you generally only get one shot at the big time.

If Bryan and Reid were sold its an element of what Southampton do to balance books more and finance the first team. they also look at having good players in the pipeline already in the club via their academy. new training and academy facilities on the way/ maybe even another in emphasis on producing even more players and developing them as being the project.  Is that not a more sustainable and functioning club?

What has been shown is that the academy IS NOT A WASTE OF MONEY.

2 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

If Bryan and Reid were sold its an element of what Southampton do to balance books more and finance the first team. they also look at having good players in the pipeline already in the club via their academy. new training and academy facilities on the way/ maybe even another in emphasis on producing even more players and developing them as being the project.  Is that not a more sustainable and functioning club?

What has been shown is that the academy IS NOT A WASTE OF MONEY.

Exactly. £5m for BR and anything above £15m now for JB and the academy is working and the pillars are strong. 

This is part of the club philosophy. Let’s also not kid ourselves, all clubs aside from Man C are ‘selling’ clubs, at the right price. 

Would we miss BR & JB if they were sold? - hell yeah. Are they replaceable? - also yes. 

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not sure how long you wanna keep this argument going mate, but nowhere in post #6 do I state anywhere that he’s not worth his place. Try again. 

I did agree that at times in the last 2 years he wasn’t playing well enough, but I’ve never mentioned dropping him - I just wanted him to be better (as it’s always been clear he ‘could’ be, but wasn’t showing it). 

I’m glad he’s performing well and getting plaudits, but let’s not pretend he’s not got a lot to do still to be a consistently good full back. Again, let’s remember, the praise he’s had this last few weeks has been as a left midfielder, not as full back. 

He's been getting (deserved) plaudits as a left back all season. Much more than a 'decent' left back at this level. 

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 18:49, Bobby Bollax said:

I’m really pleased for the lad. Most of this forum decided he wasn’t good enough the past 2 seasons.

On ‎21‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 18:59, Harry said:

He wasn’t.

a post and your answer Harry

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Joe Bryan has as another noted got cracking reviews as left back and its because he is such a great footballer. that is the point people were making last season as well and why Lee Johnson was bang on with putting him in so regularly. even what he struggled he was capable of showing that quality on the ball. its not just defending its what he does one the ball. full backs the good ones are no longer just defenders. you seem to want defenders to defend and little else.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Exactly. £5m for BR and anything above £15m now for JB and the academy is working and the pillars are strong. 

This is part of the club philosophy. Let’s also not kid ourselves, all clubs aside from Man C are ‘selling’ clubs, at the right price. 

Would we miss BR & JB if they were sold? - hell yeah. Are they replaceable? - also yes. 

and if they are not played they will not progress and end up being as good as they can be that is the point people were making last season as well when you have a Joe Bryan you are polishing a diamond.

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 14:30, Harry said:

I think the pillars were guff tbh,

In years to come hope to see the academy still producing players who are good enough to take a ball on their chest touch it over an opponents head before it hits the ground under pressure, lay it off with their weaker foot(???) to feet and then seek a return to score.  That's the standard to sell and replace with the next one. Players that can really play.

Archived