IGNORED

Matt Taylor - Footballer

Port Said Red

About 5 years ago over a Sunday lunch time drink, a friend of mine said that he had been up to see FGR play the previous day to watch his friends son play. He then went on to say that he had seen a guy playing up front for FGR and for the life of him he couldn't understand what he was doing at that level. He did say that Taylor (for it is he) didn't look the fittest bloke in the world but he had great movement and an eye for a pass, and although he didn'tactually score that day, he had a hand in all 3 goals.

When we signed Taylor, some of the gasheads that came on here said that he was "just a goalscorer and that he would get found out at our level. I find the complete opposite to be true, and it's not just because he is playing with better players. Putting aside the lovely pass for Korey's goal, I watched him quite closely when he came on against Manchest Utd, because I had been struck by how quickly he brought others into the game against Forest, I was interested to see if he could do the same against Premiership players.

Well, he could and it really was amazing to watch. A good player can create space for themselves and others by running the channels, being energetic and stretching teams, to my mind a top player does the same much more subtlely and Taylor did this on several occasions in both games. By just taking a couple of steps away from defenders he was able to create a split second more time to make a pass or a lay off to bring others into play. 

Although we won both games, I felt in both that LJ could have brought him on just a few minutes earlier to help Bobby and helping to get the ball to "stick" up top. I guess he has reasons for leaving it to later in the game though and as it's working I can't knock it.

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I actually wonder whether he might be yang to the Bobby Reid yang and could be the reverse -

More and more I wonder whether he'd actually make a better attacking midfielder than a striker 

In a way I think positions on the pitch have become a lot more fluid - I think he does a lot of attacking midfield work as it stands. In a way he reminds me of other players who were not massively appreciated in the past - Agard in particular but to an extent Danny Haynes too - in that the space he creates for others when he does not have the ball adds more to the team than what he does with it. Such player are rarely valued by supporters because they "don't do anything" but Agard was vital in our promotion season for what he allowed others to do. 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

In a way I think positions on the pitch have become a lot more fluid - I think he does a lot of attacking midfield work as it stands. In a way he reminds me of other players who were not massively appreciated in the past - Agard in particular but to an extent Danny Haynes too - in that the space he creates for others when he does not have the ball adds more to the team than what he does with it. Such player are rarely valued by supporters because they "don't do anything" but Agard was vital in our promotion season for what he allowed others to do. 

Agreed - a good example

Had a conversation once with the current Everton head man about Junior Bent once

He pointed out that a lot of Juniors value was merely in his presence - in  that ,because of his lightening pace he made defences defend 10-20 yards deeper as they feared the space left behind, allowing other players space and time to play

Things like this can easily be overlooked or undervalued / appreciated

I haven't yet posted this because I believe many people would see it as rubbish. But sod it it's Xmas, and morale is high. Matty Taylor may not get many goals. However, his ability to be one step ahead, his movement, and his ability to pick out passes like he did with Smith is Premier League level. Although I love the likes of Joe Bryan etc, no one else has the movement or a football brain like Taylor has. He brings a lot into the game that many don't see.

Before we signed him anyone I knew who was Gas were raving about his goal scoring, my understanding was that he was pretty lazy and just hung about the  box looking for penalties. So when we signed him I was delighted to annoy them but was worried about what we had actually purchased.

He is a totally different player to what I thought from the impression they gave (but hey, do Gasheads really know a good footballing  player when they see one). He is unselfish and works hard for the team, he positions himself intelligently and moves to make space for others, and of course can play a killer pass. 

He's never going to score stacks, but how many strikers are there who score 20+ goals a season in any division? Very few. His movement off the ball and his positioning are excellent. If he chips in with 8 goals or so, great. Good squad player but can't see him starting many games. Having said that, wouldn't surprise me if starts Sat. Possibly in place of Paterson who may need a rest.

16 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

He's never going to score stacks, but how many strikers are there who score 20+ goals a season in any division? Very few. His movement off the ball and his positioning are excellent. If he chips in with 8 goals or so, great. Good squad player but can't see him starting many games. Having said that, wouldn't surprise me if starts Sat. Possibly in place of Paterson who may need a rest.

Would be interesting to see how he would get on as an out and out forward in a run of starts.

For the majority of his play time, he’s been a second striker to Abraham or Reid. At Rovers when he did score ‘stacks’ he was the Abraham or Reid.

I think he’d need a fair run of starts as the focal point of the attack before we write off his chances of ‘scoring stacks’. He clearly can score goals.

I doubt he’d get that run of starts here though. At a team like Preston or Ipswich he might though. 

I think there are genuine question marks over his finishing/composure in front of goal, but I love what he does bring. The way he pulls defenders out of position and then uses the ball creates space and time for others (that's a theme with our current side actually). Personally I'd like to see him have a run of starts alongside BR, which would allow Paterson back on to the wing. As others have said; he doesn't look like he'll score loads at this level, but he definitely adds value

For someone under 6ft he does incredibly well to take the ball out the air under pressure from a 6ft+ hard as nails CB. Must be his lower league days that have helped him. End of last season proved as well, he can create chances, drop deep, stretch defenders by running channels and as proven against Stoke and Palace in the cup he will finish 1v1’s. I feel he hasn’t scored as many for us as we haven’t put him in these scenarios. 

A cracking buy, especially for what we paid for him :fear:

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The £300k fee was justified by the pass to Korey alone on the basis of what the club will earn from the semi final tie. That pass was worth millions!

Most will know I am not his biggest advocate.  I think his overall game is not quite good enough, but I have seen flashes in performances that tell me i’m wrong.  They’ve all been in the cup games....and I’ve commented that he has played well in those games.

His endeavour is unquestioned, I like the way he gets busy between ball and defender.

I don’t think he has a great touch, I don’t think he is a natural finisher (despite goal tally at Rovers).  

I also think he misses runs and the chance to play people in...which is ironic seeing the pass he played for Korey’s goal!

I do think one thing i’ve missed is the price-tag.  Had we picked up a non-Gas player for £300k, we’d all be saying he’s done a decent job for the outlay.

Maybe I’m a bit harsh on him.  Not every player can be a Rolls-Royce at everything, nor can a team be made up of the same type of player.  He has a part to play in our match day 18.  Would love to see him get more goals, but appreciate his contribution - certainly gives his all.

He`s got that `edge` about him too - taking one for the team when Pogba was away late on for instance. He was also doing his best to wind up their keeper too and it was working - I could easily see him taking a swing at MT if the ref hadn`t stepped in. He must be a nightmare to play against - an annoying little bugger but with skill. If he was playing for the away team at AG you`d hate him and be booing him for being a niggly little git. Love him!

And as for the pass...................................:yawn:

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Most will know I am not his biggest advocate.  I think his overall game is not quite good enough, but I have seen flashes in performances that tell me i’m wrong.  They’ve all been in the cup games....and I’ve commented that he has played well in those games.

His endeavour is unquestioned, I like the way he gets busy between ball and defender.

I don’t think he has a great touch, I don’t think he is a natural finisher (despite goal tally at Rovers).  

I also think he misses runs and the chance to play people in...which is ironic seeing the pass he played for Korey’s goal!

I do think one thing i’ve missed is the price-tag.  Had we picked up a non-Gas player for £300k, we’d all be saying he’s done a decent job for the outlay.

Maybe I’m a bit harsh on him.  Not every player can be a Rolls-Royce at everything, nor can a team be made up of the same type of player.  He has a part to play in our match day 18.  Would love to see him get more goals, but appreciate his contribution - certainly gives his all.

Think that assessment is very fair and a good summary of him Dave (IMHO)

Im not convinced Lee totally fancies him at the moment - but if he can work with him there's some ability there

I'm beginning to regard him differently to the way I did a few months ago. I still don't regard him as a top striker but as many others are saying on here, he does bring something different to the team. Perhaps it's the fact that so many players in the squad have scored goals, that while a twenty a season man is great to have , the lack of one is not the disaster it appeared to be earlier in the season. 

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Entirely agree on all this.

On the Totally Football League podcast Chris Powell described us as playing with 2 false 9s in Reid and Paterson. That role suits Taylor as well, more all purpose attacking player than orthodox striker.

We don't seem to have any problem scoring goals without an out and out striker for sure.

I'm always impressed by his hold up play. For a wee lad he holds his ground incredibly well with bigger defenders trying to get through and round him.

Brought a mate down the gate the other day, believe it was against Forest. He was full of compliments for Matty Taylor, in particular his ability to hold the ball up and bring others in to the game, hence why I think many of you are right that he could be integral in getting the most out of Bobby.

Not to mention THAT ball on Wednesday!

Archived