IGNORED

Future England players

Top Robin

I know you may laugh but do you think there is any possibility than any of our current squad will ever play for England in the future.

Some of them are young and playing well now in a competitive Championship and will only get better .

I recon Bryan, Patterson, Brownhill, Smith and Bobby may all have a chance if they continue to improve and their careers take the right path.

Sadly the England selection is hugely dictated by the club the player plays for, obviously. Although I feel players like patterson, Smith and Bob have improved drastically in the last 12 months with their ages being all nearly being 25+ its highly unlikly they'd achieve the progression in their careers to be a candidate for selection at international level.

Joe however, the way he put himself in the shop window Monday could potentially attract bids from top 6 clubs, which if he moves changes the dynamic completely.

Josh is a hard one to call but is definatly in a strong position regarding his age and current ability. Who knows?

9 minutes ago, Bailey is Right said:

Sadly the England selection is hugely dictated by the club the player plays for, obviously. Although I feel players like patterson, Smith and Bob have improved drastically in the last 12 months with their ages being all nearly being 25+ its highly unlikly they'd achieve the progression in their careers to be a candidate for selection at international level.

Joe however, the way he put himself in the shop window Monday could potentially attract bids from top 6 clubs, which if he moves changes the dynamic completely.

Josh is a hard one to call but is definatly in a strong position regarding his age and current ability. Who knows?

I am sure I read somewhere Southgate was actually looking at Paterson.. So maybe maybe he has a chance. Says a lot about the ability of top flight Englishmen if you ask me, but if he is being looked at fair play to the bloke

Edit judging by posts here I may have read the article incorrectly. I now have to try and find the article I was reading to sanity check 

Edit 2 I reckon I must have got it of a badly worded media watch piece on City's website.

18 minutes ago, Bailey is Right said:

Southgate does seem to be an England manager who picks on form rather that reputation.

For anyone who's familiar with The Secret Footballer, I was reading one of his books Access All Areas recently, and he devoted quite a lot of time to talking about a young player he used to represent, who he didn't mention by name but was pretty obvious reading between the lines it was Callum O'Dowda.

He was very irritated that Callum elected to play for Ireland (largely down to the influence of his dad, so he says) as he was convinced that he'd one day get a chance with England. He was really gushing over him.

Was an interesting read regardless, but that added a nice insight. Went into detail his plans for him which involved a move to a Championship club for 2-3 years (this was whilst he was still with Oxford) before going to a mid table Premier League club, to ensure he got regular game time, a career path he seems pretty well set on.

Only thing was, this was written in 2015, he wanted to engineer a move that summer, and ranted on about him signing a new deal with Oxford, saying he was taking the first offer on the table and throwing away his career and chance of a move. When, as it happens, a year later we came along with £1m or whatever it was and it worked out well for both parties.

Archived