IGNORED

Agent Tomlin doing a good job

ashton_fan

Warnock said........

"I didn't want a sending off at 2-0"

"We'd already lost the game and I didn't want to lose a player as well," said Warnock.

"I could see what (Karl) Henry was doing. I've had Henry before, and Pratley, and they were trying to wind him up to get him off, putting his head into his face and stuff like that. So I thought 'why not bring him off'.

"We've lost the points. We don't want to lose a player as well."

"I thought he was just going to give us a little bit. They had six six-foot four players and we didn't.

"I thought he did well today. I didn't think it was the type of game, given the people in that Bolton team, for a Tomlin.

"I thought it would be too physical in that area and I think I was right really."

The Yorkshireman's expectations for a bruising encounter proved correct, with referee Darren Bond dishing out a total of seven yellow cards.

"When you come up against a team like Bolton you want a strong referee and I thought he was weak today and he's not a bad referee either," he added.

"I thought some of the challenges were horrendous early doors.

"But we had more bookings than them. And some of them were really pathetic - for retaliation and things like that.

"When you've got experienced lads like Henry and Pratley talking to the ref after every free-kick then they're going to play.

"I warned the lads not to get involved, but it's difficult in the heat of the moment."

12 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

Warnock said........

"We'd already lost the game and I didn't want to lose a player as well," said Warnock.

"I could see what (Karl) Henry was doing. I've had Henry before, and Pratley, and they were trying to wind him up to get him off, putting his head into his face and stuff like that. So I thought 'why not bring him off'.

"I thought he was just going to give us a little bit. They had six six-foot four players and we didn't.

"I thought he did well today. I didn't think it was the type of game, given the people in that Bolton team, for a Tomlin.

"I thought it would be too physical in that area and I think I was right really."

The Yorkshireman's expectations for a bruising encounter proved correct, with referee Darren Bond dishing out a total of seven yellow cards.

"When you come up against a team like Bolton you want a strong referee and I thought he was weak today and he's not a bad referee either," he added.

"But we had more bookings than them. And some of them were really pathetic - for retaliation and things like that.

"When you've got experienced lads like Henry and Pratley talking to the ref after every free-kick then they're going to play.

"I warned the lads not to get involved, but it's difficult in the heat of the moment."

Warnock said How dare they copy me 

54 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

Warnock said........

Could be any post match Colin interview where they`ve lost. Just the names change.

1 hour ago, BobbyC said:

Warnock said........

Jesus some of those comments are brilliant - talk about pot kettle black!! 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Could be any post match Colin interview where they`ve lost. Just the names change.

I thought the same...sad and tired old stuff, where's the joy? Feel sorry for the chap, being so bitter and twisted at his age. You'd think he'd have something constructive to offer.

3 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I thought the same...sad and tired old stuff, where's the joy? Feel sorry for the chap, being so bitter and twisted at his age. You'd think he'd have something constructive to offer.

"Constructive" is never something that he offers.

Just repeated moaning about refs, anti football, time wasting, lowest accuracy completion stats and ball in play stats, simply boring, artless football.

Reckon they are about to drop down the table myself..

18 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Warnock said of all the players he wanted it was Tomlin, wonder what he thinks now?

What he meant to say was, "of all the players who could disrupt his squad, the one he wanted was Tomlin"

10 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Comedian, City fan  and local resident Eddie Large once said that buying a boat gave him two of the happiest moments in his life:

"The day I bought it and the day I sold it" -      many of us feel the same about Tomlin.

Not sure what shocks me more here, Eddie Large being a City fan or being called a comedian!

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

As of a week ago they were still singing "Lee Tomlin is a blue, he hates Bristol"

I can't wait for the inevitable meltdown when they figure out he's a work-shy duty-shirking fat bastard

2 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Seems to be the bad apple from last season. However also dare I say it we are a much better team without Abraham. 

Odd isn't it that Tomlin we demanded to sign , and Steve duly obliged, and then with Tammy going we were tipped to go down, and instead we are looking quality.Not to mention almost to a man we wanted Lee out.

Funny old game. 

Came across and article in The Times on Wednesday morning, before the Man U game that was talking about the cohesive side that LJ has put together. There's a quote from Dean Holden that was quite telling

“Results help,” Johnson says, “but we’ve got good people here.” Or, as Holden succinctly puts it: “There’s no knob-heads.”

There's no direct link implying Tomlin, but I sure as hell haven't posted it on any other link on here. 

46 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Odd isn't it that Tomlin we demanded to sign , and Steve duly obliged, and then with Tammy going we were tipped to go down, and instead we are looking quality.Not to mention almost to a man we wanted Lee out.

Funny old game. 

We didn’t all demand to sign him, some of us could tell from his Twitter bollox in the will he/won’t he stage that the guy was an egotistical shit.

7 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

Came across and article in The Times on Wednesday morning, before the Man U game that was talking about the cohesive side that LJ has put together. There's a quote from Dean Holden that was quite telling

“Results help,” Johnson says, “but we’ve got good people here.” Or, as Holden succinctly puts it: “There’s no knob-heads.”

There's no direct link implying Tomlin, but I sure as hell haven't posted it on any other link on here. 

Sorry, have you got a link to that? Thats a brilliant quote!

23 hours ago, BobbyC said:

Warnock said........

This kind of post match assesment sums up why I never wanted Mrs Doubtfire anywhere near our club

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Is there any way in without having to register with Murdoch`s evil empire?

Hope this works: Enjoy

It is 9.15am at Bristol City’s Failand training base, a few miles west of the city. The low sun pierces the still winter’s sky and a crisp frost on the grass is glistening. In the warmth of the players’ canteen, brouhaha breaks the hum of chatter; Ben and Jen sizzle breakfast omelettes in the kitchen, whiz up smoothies, and prepare trays of Brussels sprouts and roast potatoes for Christmas lunch later in the day.

Before training, the players move next door for a meeting with Lee Johnson, the head coach. Analysis of the recent 2-1 win over Sheffield United at Bramall Lane, courtesy of an injury-time winner from Aden Flint, ends with a slow-motion replay of the touchline celebrations of Dean Holden, the assistant head coach, with accompanying soundtrack from the movie Titanic. “Sprinting 40 yards up the touchline, punching the air to himself,” Johnson smiles. “Packy [Marlon Pack] had to pay a fine for cuddling the gaffer too.”

We’re playing 11 humans, not the history of Man United

Bristol City are a club in fine fettle. They have won seven of their past nine league games, lost only three all season, sit third in the Championship table and welcome Manchester United to Ashton gate in a Carabao Cup quarter-final this evening. Evidently, they are enjoying themselves in the process.

It is a remarkable change of fortunes from this time last year, when City were in the thick of an eight-game Championship losing streak. As they plummeted towards the relegation zone, the pressure on Johnson intensified. But Steve Lansdown, the owner, stood firm. A recovery in March and April kept them safe, and this season that patience has been richly rewarded.

Lansdown, a Bristolian who is worth an estimated £1.7 billion from financial services, has been investing prudently in City since 2011 and his dream of a sustainable Premier League club is edging closer to reality. Plans were recently submitted for a new training complex, which follows the £45 million redevelopment of Ashton Gate, while Johnson, 36, has been backed with investment in young players of rich promise and an environment ripe for their development.

“The owner’s an investor, by nature,” Johnson says, “and that’s what gives him that buzz. He loves seeing young players develop, nurtured — players like Joe Bryan [and] Bobby Reid coming through the academy — and I bought into it. It was a high-risk strategy because everybody who we sign is effectively unproven at this level, whether from abroad or from the lower leagues. We’ve come through the bad patch [last season] and we’ve come through it together, and all the work that we’re doing is bearing fruit now.”

Lee Johnson has turned his team, and his own fortunes aroundHARRY TRUMP/GETTY IMAGES

Sitting in his modest office, next to a room full of analysts crunching data on opponents and potential signings before next month’s transfer window, Johnson — whose father, Gary, the Cheltenham Town manager, was in charge of City for five years until 2010 — demonstrates why, he says, if “you’ve got a good attitude, at this club, you can’t not get better”.

Here, there are no grey areas, no excuses. The group have a private, specially designed app that maps out a six-week training schedule, contains footage of every meeting, match analysis or training session (filmed by drone), with audio from Johnson where tactical sessions are concerned. In team meetings, on a giant touchscreen, players can be dragged around as much as “[Jamie] Carragher and [Gary] Neville do on Sky Sports”. “Believe it or not I’ve got one in my house as well,” Johnson says. “So I’ll sit there, preparing the game plan, while my missus is sat there watching Corrie.”

Back in the day, you just got shouted at and you did as you were told. These days the players are basically individual businesses

Engaging the modern footballer is key, Johnson says. “Back in the day, you just got shouted at and you did as you were told. Your sole purpose was to impress the manager to stay in the team. To be honest, [players are] their own enterprises nowadays; almost their own businesses. Everything’s about getting them, in the modern era, to buy in: statistics, a philosophy, a style of play, making sure you give them that clarity in their job roles. The modern tools give you a better picture as a player.”

City’s line-up tonight will, as usual, have an average age of about 25, and Johnson has crafted a high-energy, attack-minded outfit. They have dispatched the Premier League trio of Watford, Stoke City and Crystal Palace en route to this evening’s game and hold no fear of their vaunted opponents.

“It’s been a nice buzz around, not just for us, but for the club and the fans around the city,” says Bailey Wright, the club captain — a tough-tackling Australian with the World Cup in Russia also on his horizon. “Everyone wants to play against the best, and we’ll back ourselves and believe we can beat them.”

Training is short, sharp possession drills, then small-sided games. The ball fizzes between cones and fleeting feet; a nutmeg is met with roars of laughter. Reid, a midfielder-turned-striker who has scored 11 times this season, plunders goals at will. In the summer, the recruitment department’s search for a new forward kept highlighting, statistically, a player they already had. “The gaffer said, ‘Why not give it a go?’ ” Reid, 24, says. “I didn’t know how to take it at first, but then in pre-season I scored a few goals, and I haven’t looked back.”

Flint, the towering central defender, has six goals to his name and has scored a remarkable 35 since joining from Swindon Town in 2013. Johnson quipped recently that Flint might soon be deployed as a striker, adding that he is fast becoming an “icon”. His off-field performances in City’s now-famous Gifs are doing him no harm in that regard. Whenever Bristol City score, a short video of the goalscorer is released on the club’s social media platforms, and this season they have become something of an internet sensation. The idea stemmed from the Bristol Flyers basketball team, who come under the umbrella of Lansdown’s Bristol Sport group, along with the city’s rugby club.

In pre-season, after the obligatory headshot photos, the players were asked to celebrate to camera. “Some were a bit more outgoing than others,” says Adam Baker, the head of media and communications, with a smile. “But we scored eight goals in our first two games, seven different goalscorers, which meant seven different Gifs going out, and within a week it had become a bit of a craze — everyone was talking about it. The players were talking about it too. I think it has helped team spirit. They come in asking if they can do some more Gifs, trying to top one another. Aden Flint, this morning, was asking, ‘How many hits did I get?’ ”

Reid has been prolific in front of goal since moving from midfieldHARRY TRUMP/GETTY IMAGES

“We filmed some for Halloween and there was a load of props there,” says Flint, whose Gifs have included throwing a suit jacket over his shoulder, theatrically, as he exited stage left, DJ-ing on some plates, and some extremely exuberant brushing of his teeth (and face). “Me, Marlon [Pack], Joe [Bryan] and Bobby [Reid] got a bit carried away with it,” he says. “Football’s a serious sport, but you can always have a bit of a laugh as well.”

Trivial? You may think so, but it adds to the picture of a vibrant club with a thriving team spirit. “Results help,” Johnson says, “but we’ve got good people here.” Or, as Holden succinctly puts it: “There’s no knob-heads.”

Back in the canteen, before Christmas lunch is served, 82-year-old Marina Dolman, the club president, stands to address the group. Her late husband, Harry Dolman, was a former chairman and president until his death in 1977. “I’ve never known a group of players work so hard,” she says. “My husband Harry used to say production in the factories went up on a Monday if City won. You have no idea how important you are to the people of Bristol.”

The club’s place in the community has been reaffirmed in tragic circumstances in recent weeks. Last month, Ben Pritchard, the eight-year-old grandson of Doug Harman, Bristol City’s executive director, died after a short battle with cancer. He spent his last eight days at Children’s Hospice South West — “a special place,” Harman says — and was visited by Johnson and several players. On Saturday, at an emotional Ashton Gate, there was a minute’s applause in his memory in the eighth minute of the 2-1 win against Nottingham Forest.

This evening, a sell-out crowd will be there to see Manchester United visit Bristol for the first time since 1980. “I wanted this draw, Man United at home, because it’s an iconic club and it could be a massive day,” Johnson says.

And, like his players, he is relishing the test. “We can wear teams down with our energy and our fitness. If I was Man United, that would be the fear playing our side. They’d have to pick a team that can cope with our energy and our spirit — on the day. One or two of the players could create iconic status for themselves, but we’ve got to play the moment. We’re playing 11 humans, not the history of Man United. Our boys will be on the front foot, and we’ll go for it.”

Gifs that keep giving – the viral celebration
Bristol City’s short celebration videos on social media have become a viral sensation this season, with Marlon Pack, Jamie Paterson, Aden Flint and Joe Bryan conjuring up some of the more memorable ones

1 hour ago, Lord Northski said:

. Reid, a midfielder-turned-striker who has scored 11 times this season, plunders goals at will. In the summer, the recruitment department’s search for a new forward kept highlighting, statistically, a player they already had. “The gaffer said, ‘Why not give it a go?’ ” Reid, 24, says. “I didn’t know how to take it at first, but then in pre-season I scored a few goals, and I haven’t looked back.”

How interesting is this part? I hadn`t heard that before but it just goes to show what statistics can be used for.

Archived