IGNORED

Getting the ball out of the net

Fatalist

Why do players fight to grab the ball out of the net after a goal? I thought Flint, who had already been booked, was lucky not to get a red card for mugging Onuoha, who had already picked it up. After all, when a goal is scored, the team who conceded it have to kick off, so it isn't anything to do with the team who have just scored. I get that its putting out a message "we've scored, now lets get another", but is it worth the risk of losing a player? 

In any case, has there ever been a time when all 22 players are lined up ready to kick off, and they are waiting for the ball?

Remember watching Bath City v Crawley a good few years back in the Southern League. Crawley equalised in the 90th minute and they all ran over to their bench to celebrate. Their bench was in their side of the halfway line. The ref allowed Bath to kickoff against a couple of Crawley players. Bath scored and Crawley went mental!

It always surprises me too, as the ref surely adds on the time between ball hitting the net and kick-off resuming. 

But that said, Flint was funny as **** yesterday and Onouha’s attempt to push him back and Flint laughing at him made me crack right up. 

3 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Why don't they have a rule where the ref gets the ball out of the net after a goal to avoid all this sort of stuff and play needs to restart in a certain time frame?

Not sure many refs would fancy their chances of shoving Onouha out the way..

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Remember watching Bath City v Crawley a good few years back in the Southern League. Crawley equalised in the 90th minute and they all ran over to their bench to celebrate. Their bench was in their side of the halfway line. The ref allowed Bath to kickoff against a couple of Crawley players. Bath scored and Crawley went mental!

Top bants

1 hour ago, Harry said:

It always surprises me too, as the ref surely adds on the time between ball hitting the net and kick-off resuming. 

But that said, Flint was funny as **** yesterday and Onouha’s attempt to push him back and Flint laughing at him made me crack right up. 

It was funny, but I doubt if we would be saying that if it was the other way round to be fair. I wasn’t at the match but listening to the radio the commentators mentioned Flint getting wound up as he was constantly being fouled, was the big lump he shoved the main guilty party? If so I can see why he took the opportunity, lucky he wasn’t on a red there though. 

I did think it was amusing though when he laughed and ran off with the ball leaving ‘his boys’ to sort it out :)

15 minutes ago, Midred said:

Last season many were saying that we weren't ' street wise ' enough. I think this season the boys are learning their trade but need to know where it is  appropriate and preferably the blind side of the referee!

Wednesday being a case in point. We sussed early on that Romero could be wound up easily and made sure we did it. I honestly think if the ref hadn`t have stepped in he was ready to take a swing at Matty when he did it.

You think the ref would add the time on but it rarely happens.

It’s about tempo and momentum as well, you’ve just scored and the other team are gonna be on the ropes. You want to get the game restarted as quick as possible while they’re still questioning each other and probably rattled.

21 hours ago, Harry said:

21 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

It’s irrelevant, the referee will add the time on if one team takes the P.

Thing is they don't. How many times have you been at games where the Ref adds on 2-3 minutes and there has been 6 subs, 5 bookings , countless wasted minutes. They do their best but not everything gets added on. It's usually either a gee up for the side that has just conceded, or one for the side to keep up the intensity . 

On 24/12/2017 at 17:55, Harry said:

Ref doesnt stop his watch after a goal 

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Thing is they don't. How many times have you been at games where the Ref adds on 2-3 minutes and there has been 6 subs, 5 bookings , countless wasted minutes. They do their best but not everything gets added on. It's usually either a gee up for the side that has just conceded, or one for the side to keep up the intensity . 

A rugby style referee controlled game clock would end all of that crap around time wasting, slow restarts and substitutions taking an age. 

5 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

A rugby style referee controlled game clock would end all of that crap around time wasting, slow restarts and substitutions taking an age. 

I agree,   they were talking about playing 30minute halves where the ball is in play for that 30 minutes, if they just controlled the time properly you wouldn't have to mess about with it.

On 24/12/2017 at 19:50, Midred said:

Last season many were saying that we weren't ' street wise ' enough. I think this season the boys are learning their trade but need to know where it is  appropriate and preferably the blind side of the referee!

Well he got that last bit right then! I'd assume neither the ref or Lino saw it, or likely it would have been a (second) yellow. And with our depleted squad, that would have been......well, not quite so funny!,

Archived