IGNORED

Charlie Austin - Retrospective ban.

Tipps69

After his cowardly kick-out at the Huddersfield keeper on Saturday, which resulted in the keeper having a cut nose, Austin has been given a 3 match ban as the match officials didn’t see it but later in the game Austin had to be helped off the pitch with a hamstring injury.

Now the thing for me is that Austin is now injured & unlikely to play for the next few weeks at least, which at this time of year could mean him missing several games but as such the ban is pointless as he’s going to miss the games through his injury now anyway, so is the ban any real punishment or should he be made to carry out the ban once he is classed as being fit for selection? But how could The FA / Premier League carry out such an extended ban?

For me, his ban should be served once he’s fit again but how can it be proven that he’s fit & that the ban could actually be fulfilled?

6 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Team game. Individual punishment = team punishment... will miss several games anyway. Doesn’t matter at all IMO

But he’s going to miss games because he’s injured not because he’s banned, the ban in theory is irrelevant! Which is wrong in my eyes, he should still have to miss games to serve his ban once fit imo.

58 minutes ago, Packman said:

I see your point but it’s basically impossible for the F.A to do anything. Just one of those things unfortunately. Will Pogba get a two match ban for his dive against us which resulted in a free kick which zlatan scored from?

That’s why I asked the question of what could The FA / Premier League do. The only thing I can think of is as soon as Southampton name him in his squad (I’d assume he’s fit then), tell them he’s now banned for the relevant amount of games. But you’ll always have someone find a way around it.

13 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I was thinking the other day after Korey got done.

I think that instead of a 3 match ban or so, it would be an idea if the guy committing the foul is suspended for as long as the injured party returns to fitness...

career ending injuries = career ending foul

interesting hey?

But some fouls don’t deserve the injuries & that would just open up all kinds controversy & in affect you could be taking away someone’s livelihood for making a tackle. Tackling is becoming a ‘dark art’ as it is, if you start threatening to end players careers for making a tackle, players will just stop making challenges especially if it could cost them their job. After all, how many players would be able to walk into another job that pays upwards of £5k p/w?

Firstly I agree with the ban, what Austin did was cowardly and nasty.

But I wonder if it had been a top 6 team whether it would even have been reviewed.

And there is an irony here IMHO, if his flick with his foot had caught the keepers hand instead of his face, whether Danny 'he's entitled' to dive Murphy would have claimed it to be a penalty.

33 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I was thinking the other day after Korey got done.

I think that instead of a 3 match ban or so, it would be an idea if the guy committing the foul is suspended for as long as the injured party returns to fitness...

career ending injuries = career ending foul

interesting hey?

I can only really think of Roy Keanes tackle on Alf Inge Haland as a clear intent to injure someone - and even that’s a bit of a myth because it wasn’t his foul that ended Halands career, it was a pre existing injury.

Every other nasty injury I’ve seen has usually been an accident or just bad timing without any genuine malice. Would be too big a can of worms to start banning  players based on the injury length

10 hours ago, hodge said:

Like the Chelsea player who got themselves booked for time wasting so they'd be suspended for a league cup game they wouldn't play anyway instead of the league. 

9 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Several did it in CL - Carvajal, Pique, KDB

Devil`s advocate here but would we be that upset if Marlon did the same v Villa if he picked up a yellow v Reading or Wolves so he missed Watford in the cup?

3 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

But he’s going to miss games because he’s injured not because he’s banned, the ban in theory is irrelevant! Which is wrong in my eyes, he should still have to miss games to serve his ban once fit imo.

Yes but one could argue if he had been sent off at the time which he should’ve been then he wouldn’t have got injured - so actually in retrospect he’s out for longer

huddersfield wont be happy with it... but justice was served

47 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Yes but one could argue if he had been sent off at the time which he should’ve been then he wouldn’t have got injured - so actually in retrospect he’s out for longer

huddersfield wont be happy with it... but justice was served

Not really because Southampton were able to bring another player on as a sub, if he’d been sent-off Huddersfield would have only been up against 10 men for about an hour of the match, it could be massive for Huddersfield, the difference of a possible two points lost.

Archived