IGNORED

Matty Taylor

Shtanley

Interesting performance from him today. He’s the player we’re focusing on in tomorrow’s podcast with the exiled robin. 

Off on 62’ which was no surprise to be honest, he was coming short and finding gaps as normal but I thought he lost the ball poorly a few times which killed some of our promising attacks. He’s got quick feet but you wonder if he can play at the speed the rest of the squad are clearly comfortable at. Is Taylor cut out for a top championship squad? Some people reckon he’s going out on loan next month.

Woodrow did slightly better but I think even those who think we bought a Senegalese dud can’t wait to have Diedhiou back. Thoughts on MT’s performance?

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Interesting performance from him today. He’s the player we’re focusing on in tomorrow’s podcast with the exiled robin. 

Off on 62’ which was no surprise to be honest, he was coming short and finding gaps as normal but I thought he lost the ball poorly a few times which killed some of our promising attacks. He’s got quick feet but you wonder if he can play at the speed the rest of the squad are clearly comfortable at. Is Taylor cut out for a top championship squad? Some people reckon he’s going out on loan next month.

Woodrow did slightly better but I think even those who think we bought a Senegalese dud can’t wait to have Diedhiou back. Thoughts on MT’s performance?

Thought he struggled tbh

Had at least one (Free header) if not two great chances first half 

Need to stick them away at this level 

Service up to Bobby & Matty was poor today mind which didn't help them

Not sure of his long term future here tbh

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

Agree with you your assessment, was moving into space and finding gaps but 2nd half in particular was giving the ball away cheaply. Rightly subbed.

4 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

We can't afford him to go on loan imo. That would be reckless. 

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

We can't afford him to go on loan imo. That would be reckless. 

I think Taylor realises he is part of a squad here, and as such will not play every game. Be disappointed if he went out on loan as he brings so much more to the team than just goals (which are few and far between). He is a very intelligent footballer.

Matty Taylor is a key part of the squad.

Yes he didn’t have his best game today, but he has regularly come on this season to have a positive impact on the game - and that’s not counting the importance he played in getting us to the semi final of the cup.

Overreaction IMO to say he isn’t good enough or crazy to suggest he should go out on loan right now - after one bad game.

His impact in the team is more than the goals he scores, feels like having a moan because we’ve got nothing else to moan about. 

We already have a thread bare squad, would you rather we were playing completely inexperienced youngsters as we fight at the top of the championship? 

Gave the ball away too often. Fluffed a couple of good chances. Runs around a lot but for me is often ineffective and he, on the whole, is just not good enough to be a solid first team player at this level. 

It's not like he is just going through a lean patch. Has consistently missed good chances ever since we signed him. For me the last straw was away at Brighton last season. Good chance comes to him in the box, he plays a complete air shot. I just think he is below what is required of a striker at this level where you have to take your chances.

Anyone can run around - you need to make and take goals to be a starter and just don't see him ever getting there.

15 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Am I the only one who thought Bobby was far worse than Taylor today?

I would say you are, Taylor was awful, Reid set the first goal up end of.

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Matty Taylor is a key part of the squad.

Yes he didn’t have his best game today, but he has regularly come on this season to have a positive impact on the game - and that’s not counting the importance he played in getting us to the semi final of the cup.

Overreaction IMO to say he isn’t good enough or crazy to suggest he should go out on loan right now - after one bad game.

His impact in the team is more than the goals he scores, feels like having a moan because we’ve got nothing else to moan about. 

We already have a thread bare squad, would you rather we were playing completely inexperienced youngsters as we fight at the top of the championship? 

I agree with this, as bad as he was today, he is important to the squad but today probably pushed him down the pecking oder I would say.

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I would say you are, Taylor was awful, Reid set the first goal up end of.

I agree with this, as bad as he was today, he is important to the squad but today probably pushed him down the pecking oder I would say.

Agree with this too.

If Woodrow can find his finishing boots he potentially has a better all round game than Matty.

Though having said that, I wouldn’t be surprised if Taylor gets a few more games over the coming busy period and a few goals that he goes on a roll.

I think that the issue with Taylor is that he's not a target man / hold up striker - which is what he seems to be asked to do when starting up front with Bobby. He's just simply not strong enough to do it, hence why he spent most of the 2nd half on the deck against the physical Moore and McShane.. 

Sadly for him Reid is our best player and undroppable at the minute , so I don't see a starting place for him as the 'second striker' as things currently stand. I thought Woodrow did the job to much better effect when he came on

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

Agree with this too.

If Woodrow can find his finishing boots he potentially has a better all round game than Matty.

Though having said that, I wouldn’t be surprised if Taylor gets a few more games over the coming busy period and a few goals that he goes on a roll.

Taylor needs a couple of goals.

6 minutes ago, georgebcfc said:

I think that the issue with Taylor is that he's not a target man / hold up striker - which is what he seems to be asked to do when starting up front with Bobby. He's just simply not strong enough to do it, hence why he spent most of the 2nd half on the deck against the physical Moore and McShane.. 

Sadly for him Reid is our best player and undroppable at the minute , so I don't see a starting place for him as the 'second striker' as things currently stand. I thought Woodrow did the job to much better effect when he came on

Reid can play the number 10 role better than Taylor, Taylor's forte is playing on the last man a role Reid is playing in, why not swap them over?.

Not up to being a top end championship striker in my opinion, you can get away with having a striker like him if you've got a 20 goal a season striker with him but when you're in a team like ours relying on goals from everywhere then his return of 3 in 24 ish games for us really just isn't up to it.

Taylor is a decent squad player and would be surprised if he goes out on loan. Has come on and had an effect on games (that pass v united) but last two games he’s had his chance to start fluffed his lines a bit. Him and Reid as a pair look a little ineffectual - would be surprised if he starts vs Wolves (but not vs Watford in the Cup). 

In the bigger picture - Taylor was a Totally opportunistic signing. About a tenth of Diedhou. He’s been decent value so far, could yet score some decisive goals for us .

I thought Taylor was poor on the ball today but his work off the ball was (as always ) incredible.  He's always showing for the ball when we're in possession and his energy defensively is amazing. I thought he played such a key part in our very effective high pressing game which caused all sorts of problems to a Reading side normally so comfortable on the ball.

I agree also that Woodrow looked good when he came on and looks to have more potential than I initially gave him credit for.

16 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Gave the ball away too often. Fluffed a couple of good chances. Runs around a lot but for me is often ineffective and he, on the whole, is just not good enough to be a solid first team player at this level. 

It's not like he is just going through a lean patch. Has consistently missed good chances ever since we signed him. For me the last straw was away at Brighton last season. Good chance comes to him in the box, he plays a complete air shot. I just think he is below what is required of a striker at this level where you have to take your chances.

Anyone can run around - you need to make and take goals to be a starter and just don't see him ever getting there.

Spot on, 27 league games now, 2 goals, none in over 10 months.

The guy who said last week he is Liam Robinson wasn't joking.

Engvall is eligible to play for us from New Years Day, if he isn't a better option then we really should question what we have paid well in excess of a million for..

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

He is rubbish completely out if his depth only bought as a distraction!

To be fair that is absolute nonsense. Up with the most nonsense I've read. You didn't see how many times he scared their defenders into crap back passes? He scared their defence no end and set up a very shakey performance from their back 5. To me he is not a goalscorer, he is the bastard on the pitch that occupies, scares and creates space and room for others. 

Clearly forgotten his pass v man Utd too which was sublime at worst. 

2 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

No not just you. What has Bobby got to do in order to be dropped?

Probably not be one of the top scorers in the division and the player with the most goals scored away from home in the entire Championship, I guess?

For someone to seriously suggest dropping him (presumably play Taylor in his position) is beyond parody.

3 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

No not just you. What has Bobby got to do in order to be dropped?

Us having another goalscoring option upfront? I think if Diedhiou weren't injured Bobby would have been given a rest by now, but drop Bobby and you're looking at Taylor and Woodrow together. 

15 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Reid can play the number 10 role better than Taylor, Taylor's forte is playing on the last man a role Reid is playing in, why not swap them over?.

A fair point - having seen the QPR and Reading games I would say that moving forward that would have to be the solution for these two. Although, I'd sooner see Diedhiou / Djuric (when back) as Reid's foil, or a return to Reid playing up front with Paterson, than I would want to see Reid and Taylor paired again!

He needs to stop going down looking for soft free kicks - what is it about  1 in 5 (20%) of the time he just chooses to try and buy the free kick (whether rightly or wrongly). I chose to watch him today (just changing the way I watch games a little) and thought he was OK, just not sure what he offered above anyone else that we may have put up front. He is pretty slow (not painfully but certainly not a pacey player), he did not have the measure of either of their CB's or LB/RB and his first touch is erratic. He played some nice passes at times, but I think he  and Reid may have suffered a lot from some rather poor passing to them both (and far to many long aimless balls).

If we had Diedhiou and Djuric available, imagine he’d be alternating with Bobby Reid and look more effective than he does playing alongside Bobby - they are too similar for me; prefer Paterson in behind Reid if no one else is available.

As it stands; think he is hard working and a pain for defences, but lacks the ruthless finishing I expected from him - doesn’t make him bad, but being that we’ve another player doing similar work, and who has also notched a few, I do think he will be over-shadowed.

That said; roll on Wolves and an unexpected goal or two for him - be excellent if he picked up form just now. 

Archived