IGNORED

Players in

barneyrubble

5 minutes ago, Barney red said:

Who do we want to boost the squad in January? Think as minimum we need utility defender , holding midfielder and target man if we want to sustain promotion push until we get long term injuries back.

We already have these once players return from injury, which if reports are to be believed would be end of January. Need right back cover, creative midfielder and a pacy goalscorer. 

This is the time for SL to stand and be counted......even more! 

I feel if we don’t do it this year we never will, we cannot afford to rest on our laurels and must splash the cash - I know this is a lot to ask SL after everything he has done for the club but he must learn from the play off final season

3 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

I feel if we don’t do it this year we never will, we cannot afford to rest on our laurels and must splash the cash - I know this is a lot to ask SL after everything he has done for the club but he must learn from the play off final season

LJ has already said the cash won't be 'splashed' as we just don't have the finances to compete for the top players in the division, money will be available for transfers but we'll continue to look for players who fit our system. 

Just now, luke_bristol said:

"Splashing the cash" won't count for jack shite if you bugger about with what's got us in this position to start with. The main thing is about not letting anyone go and then being very choosey about who comes in. We are where we are because of the current squad's team ethic. Must be very very careful, if you ask me.

1 minute ago, luke_bristol said:

Sorry don't agree, splashing the cash and bringing in expensive players with big wages will just upset the balance and togetherness of the squad. We do need to recruit, but hope we go after players that can still develop with the right DNA!! and buy into the work ethic, no need for Tomlin expensive journeymen

4 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

I’m not suggesting prima donnas and washed up ex prem players at the twilight of the career that disrupt the shape and work ethic 

some carefully chosen players Ayers with the right dynamic and work rate to complement what we have 

Thing is when you look at what we've spent I would be surprised if anyone who came in who cost more than £2m this window. 

Pisano, Diedhiou, O’Dowda, O’Neil (remember him?) and Hegeler are all out injured, and some other players who featured in the first team early season or last year are away in loan/unavailable for the cups (Moore, Hinds, Woodrow, Golbourne) - unless a bunch of these players are fit again, or brought back into the fold early in Jan, we 100% need reinforcements.

We are under serious pressure, especially if the likes of Paterson and Baker are potentially injured; make no bones about it.

It would be criminal if we didn’t make the most of the positive situation we are in now.

7 minutes ago, Neo said:

Crouch in

Nobody out

He just strikes me as perfect fit for us with his encouraging attitude - will bolster the confidence of our young team to have such experience to call on.

Stokes’ top scorer this season IIRC and a regular starter. Going nowhere on loan, maybe for a semi big fee and a 2.5 year contract - neither of which will happen considering his age.

9 minutes ago, Neo said:

Crouch in

Nobody out

He just strikes me as perfect fit for us with his encouraging attitude - will bolster the confidence of our young team to have such experience to call on.

While I understand the sentiment behind this, wouldn’t imagine this would happen - more likely someone unknown from Europe like Milan Djuric again.

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Stokes’ top scorer this season IIRC and a regular starter. Going nowhere on loan, maybe for a semi big fee and a 2.5 year contract - neither of which will happen considering his age.

Stoke would be mental to let him go just now too; I’d pray we’d not offer him any kind of perm deal - as good as he still is, he’s no spring chicken.

Lee implied he would not be buying for the sake of it, and anyone coming in would have to be the right fit, Sounds very sensible really, don't disrupt what we already have. As for creative midfielder, in Bryan, Pats, COD we already have that, with Elliason learning, and Leko... Well whatever. The key has been the non stop running and harrying of Smith, Pack & Brownhill, so again, why change what is working well?

1 hour ago, Chappers said:

Lee implied he would not be buying for the sake of it, and anyone coming in would have to be the right fit, Sounds very sensible really, don't disrupt what we already have. As for creative midfielder, in Bryan, Pats, COD we already have that, with Elliason learning, and Leko... Well whatever. The key has been the non stop running and harrying of Smith, Pack & Brownhill, so again, why change what is working well?

I think the idea may be to allow rotation. If we can get another energetic midfielder in, we could rotate Pack, Smith, Brownhill and Walsh (for example). This then keeps them all fresh and hopefully lessens the likelihood of injuries.

Do we NEED to buy in this window? Players coming back from injury as has been said. We have a fairly decent sized squad, as demonstrated by us still having a strong team despite all the current casualties. I'd personally just add a couple of loans to see us covered in key areas. The likes of;

Kyle Walker-Peters from Spurs.

Lys Mousset from Bournemouth.

Isaac Hayden from Newcastle (ambitious and unlikely)...but those types if available.

Not just waiting for people returning from injuries, can't help but feel a lot of players could do with a week or 2 off. The sooner players start returning and we can rest a few players up the better. Imagine this team but with even more energy and less niggles.

I don't think these 'tempering expectation' comments are aimed at or for us. It's part of market posturing. 

Maybe it is just me, but I think by the end of this window we may have spent more than in any single window before. SL knows risk v reward gambles and the reward of the Prem could be worth many millions in investment now.

I would not bet a single penny of my own money that come 1 February 2018 Diedhou is our record signing. I won't bitch and moan if he is still, but I am not convinced by any of these noises coming from the club. 

Archived