IGNORED

Players in

barneyrubble

4 hours ago, Neo said:

Crouch in

Nobody out

He just strikes me as perfect fit for us with his encouraging attitude - will bolster the confidence of our young team to have such experience to call on.

Crouch in and what, say to Milan Duric on yer bike you're not famous enough. All about opinions, but not for me at all.

I’m always a little bit against signing player after player but I do feel we have given ourselves a fantastic opportunity and we do need to enhance the squad. Injuries have decided that to a certain extent.

I’d like to see a central midfielder come in to help Brownhill, Pack and Smith. I also think we need a serious striker, an upgrade on Taylor.

3 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

So the general consensus from reactions and replies is we shouldn’t strengthen in January, or we only need one or two players  :blink:

Its starting to feel a bit like December 2007 again if you ask me.. im not saying lets get anyone in, of course they have to be the right fit..I think however the whole Tomlin saga has clouded people's judgements massively tbh.. not every player out there is going to be a disruptive influence like Tomlin, in fact i think your Tomlin breeds are fairly rare and lets be honest in the tight knit football world its not hard to do your homework on an individual too see what they have been like at previous clubs.. we 100% need to go for it in this window IMO and id preferably rather us went for more established players that have championships and maybe even prem experience

10 hours ago, samo II said:

While I understand the sentiment behind this, wouldn’t imagine this would happen - more likely someone unknown from Europe like Milan Djuric again.

Stoke would be mental to let him go just now too; I’d pray we’d not offer him any kind of perm deal - as good as he still is, he’s no spring chicken.

Crouch is out of contract at the end of the season, and has so far not signed a new deal. He has achieved all he can at Stoke and I would not be surprised if we went up, if we made a short term offer for him in the summer. 

4 hours ago, BOSRed said:

We need quality combined with energy and determination. Bollocks to the 'experienced' malarkey as our young players are proving that's not needed. Players that can offer the same levels as our current group will get us over the line

Experience isn’t just about age, you can find a 24yo who has had over 200 games of first team men’s football, that alone is experience. 

1 hour ago, palmerred said:

Crouch is out of contract at the end of the season, and has so far not signed a new deal. He has achieved all he can at Stoke and I would not be surprised if we went up, if we made a short term offer for him in the summer. 

He signed a new deal at the end of November?

10 hours ago, reformed_red said:

Do we NEED to buy in this window? Players coming back from injury as has been said. We have a fairly decent sized squad, as demonstrated by us still having a strong team despite all the current casualties. I'd personally just add a couple of loans to see us covered in key areas. The likes of;

Kyle Walker-Peters from Spurs.

Lys Mousset from Bournemouth.

Isaac Hayden from Newcastle (ambitious and unlikely)...but those types if available.

Great shout on all 3 , players will be more than happy to come to us now.My main criteria would be fitness and attitude to work as hard as current players.

1 hour ago, palmerred said:

46 minutes ago, WesM said:

He signed a new deal at the end of November?

Wes is corrrect

Signed a new deal to extend his contract to 2019

As much as I think he'd fit great just now I don't think he'd be on our radar , and as much as he's spoken well of us , nor is there a real reason for him to want to leave Stoke and Prem to come here tbh

Suspect two players in.

We need a RB. BW is a central defender playing RB and it shows, not saying he has not done a decent job, but still not his natural. LJ has stated we are not ‘fluid’ enough.  Looks like our Italian star will not be back till tail end of season and Zak not ready yet. Loan Suspect.

Three strikers returning January time in Engvall (2m striker) MD later part Jan, FD imminent return. And  Match fit ?  Plus we have Reid, Woodrow, Taylor, so I cannot see  another striker unless someone is going ?

adding another midfielder to cover suspensions and injuries to Pack, Smith, Brownhill etc. Very likely. Loan or permenant ?

interesting few weeks ahead of us, for sure rest the squad against Watford play all fringe players. 

8 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Crouch in and what, say to Milan Duric on yer bike you're not famous enough. All about opinions, but not for me at all.

No I’m with you actually cos Milan is fit and available so often unlike Crouch who has been rarely available all of his career.

I hope Milan recovers and stays fit but even the most rose tinted fan must admit that continued injuries are a concern.

2 hours ago, palmerred said:

I thought the 3 on loan at Cheltenham were on loan until January?

This is the info in the pinned thread at the top of the transfer forum which I was updating in the last transfer window:

PLAYERS OUT ON LOAN

Shawn McCoulsky - Newport - Until 01/01/18

Gustav Engvall - Djurgardens - Until 30/11/17

Taylor Moore - Cheltenham Town - Until 01/01/18

Freddie Hinds - Cheltenham Town - Until 01/01/18

Joe Morrell - Cheltenham Town - Until 01/01/18

Scott Golbourne - MK Dons - Until 14/01/18

Diego De Girolamo - Chesterfield - Season long loan.

6 minutes ago, Neo said:

No I’m with you actually cos Milan is fit and available so often unlike Crouch who has been rarely available all of his career.

I hope Milan recovers and stays fit but even the most rose tinted fan must admit that continued injuries are a concern.

You would hope the club did due diligence on him before forking out.l am sure someone here has had a look at his playing record in Italy and elsewhere. 

LJ states that he will be one hell of a player when he returns,so.....

no Andy Carroll please ;)

25 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

You would hope the club did due diligence on him before forking out.l am sure someone here has had a look at his playing record in Italy and elsewhere. 

Looking at his appearance stats , Never played anywhere near full season (Whether selection or injury I don't know) except in 2011/12 when he was on loan at Crotone from Parma

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Unless LJ , MA are bluffing well  I think people are going to be dissapointed if they think we are going to spend 'big' in January or bring in 'names' (Unless loan)

Largely agree, though we might splash out if a given player unexpectedly became available.

I hope the section of our fans who have been fixated on so called big name players - not to say managers - in the past have come to see it's about getting the right people not the most famous ones.

38 minutes ago, RedM said:

This is the info in the pinned thread at the top of the transfer forum which I was updating in the last transfer window:

PLAYERS OUT ON LOAN

Shawn McCoulsky - Newport - Until 01/01/18

Gustav Engvall - Djurgardens - Until 30/11/17

Taylor Moore - Cheltenham Town - Until 01/01/18

Freddie Hinds - Cheltenham Town - Until 01/01/18

Joe Morrell - Cheltenham Town - Until 01/01/18

Scott Golbourne - MK Dons - Until 14/01/18

Diego De Girolamo - Chesterfield - Season long loan.

McCoulsky's loan has been extended to end of season I believe.

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Unless LJ , MA are bluffing well  I think people are going to be dissapointed if they think we are going to spend 'big' in January or bring in 'names' (Unless loan)

I think they are. There’s a post somewhere on here from someone who would know saying we will spend.

We’re probably just downplaying a bit to lower the expectations of other clubs and attempt to avoid them putting prices up.

10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Largely agree, though we might splash out if a given player unexpectedly became available.

I hope the section of our fans who have been fixated on so called big name players - not to say managers - in the past have come to see it's about getting the right people not the most famous ones.

Absolutely. I think we have learnt from lessons past and more recently about the baggage  that can come with these ‘names’ as well as the good stuff. I think Ashton and Co are much smarter now and certainly professional in how we go about our business. If a player arrives you can be sure hours and hours of ‘due diligence’ has been done on him and he will be the ‘right fit’ for our squad. Yes, there still could be hiccups but I’m confident the work will be done for the good of Bristol City.

Being so close to being a potential promotion team we won’t let the opportunity slip through our fingers for sure. Whether we will actually achieve it might be in the hands of the footballing Gods, but you can bet we will have EVERYTHING in place to try. 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think they are. There’s a post somewhere on here from someone who would know saying we will spend.

We’re probably just downplaying a bit to lower the expectations of other clubs and attempt to avoid them putting prices up.

Quite possibly mate

Im not sure it's the fees are a problem , trying to find the player that will also fit our DNA / Character test a little harder , I just think it's the wages that would be the issue

Even if SL was to change his stance on wages for a particular player , as we all know that then creates a whole host of problems and potentially throws a bomb in the dressing room

For example I think AF and JB for two would look at their current deals and feel a little miffed so you would need to address others reasonable wage demands or have a very disrupted dressing room (The alternative is to pay a massive signing on fee as I heard we did with Tomlin , to compensate more sensible wages , but that's a very dangerous path to follow)

I think we may have to be patient and move forward ' in sync'

Whether that may also take us over the line this year - Who knows , I've thought we might fall short , but we continue to produce results that with injuries etc we have no right to 

A real dilemma for SL/MA/LJ - weve done so so well that now the chance of missing out because we havnt strengthened 'sufficiently' would never sit well and has increased the dilemma  massively (It would actually be far easier to rigidly follow the ethos / philosophy strictly if we were bobbing happily along in 12th place !!!!! )

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

Didn’t LJ state that this was a once and for all fix on long term issues he had suffered from, agree he will be excellent when fully fit.

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Quite possibly mate

Im not sure it's the fees are a problem , trying to find the player that will also fit our DNA / Character test a little harder , I just think it's the wages that would be the issue

Even if SL was to change his stance on wages for a particular player , as we all know that then creates a whole host of problems and potentially throws a bomb in the dressing room

For example I think AF and JB for two would look at their current deals and feel a little miffed so you would need to address others reasonable wage demands or have a very disrupted dressing room (The alternative is to pay a massive signing on fee as I heard we did with Tomlin , to compensate more sensible wages , but that's a very dangerous path to follow)

I think we may have to be patient and move forward ' in sync'

Whether that may also take us over the line this year - Who knows , I've thought we might fall short , but we continue to produce results that with injuries etc we have no right to 

A real dilemma for SL/MA/LJ - weve done so so well that now the chance of missing out because we havnt strengthened 'sufficiently' would never sit well and has increased the dilemma  massively (It would actually be far easier to rigidly follow the ethos / philosophy strictly if we were bobbing happily along in 12th place !!!!! )

I think you are right, the club now do face a dilemma, which I suspect, they did not envisage back in August.

We are half way through the season and are second and in the semi-final of a cup.The downside is that we have a lot of injuries, some of them lengthy, and the question marks remain on how long before these players are truly back at it - itsfine to say Duric and Fam will be back mid - Jan but it will be a few weeks after that before they are up to speed and that is assuming they have no set backs.

I think we do need to spend - RB, CM and I would also try and get a young PL striker in in loan.

We most certainly don't want to upset the dressing room with Billy Big Balls signing that could disrupt us, equally we must give ourselves every opportunity of getting promoted.

Getting to the play-offs would be a great achievement but failing in them, and they are a lottery, is no guarantee that we will be up there again next season even with the same squad  - witness Reading and Sheffield Wed from last season.

It is time to seize the moment and aim to finish the season where we are just now.

Archived