IGNORED

Moore and McShane

Davefevs

Before I comment on the individual threads on Taylor and Woodrow (and if there is one for Reid, that one too), thought i’d Comment on the two Reading’s CBs...make that 3, if you include Van der Berg who dropped in and has a wonderful left peg for a defender (and DM too).

I thought Moore was unlucky here when on loan, playing with a hernia (see Djúric), and also trying to dislodge Baker (Williams) / Flint / Ayling combo.  

McShane, I thought was a typical defender, not good enough for Man Utd, who’d gradually drop through the leagues as teams realised the Man Utd was not a ‘badge’ of ability but an Agent’s bargaining tool.  Over the past two and a half seasons, I’ve realised that he is a fine combative defender.

Both of them are not blessed with height, but win most in the air, and both are courageous defenders.  How many times did they get body between ball and goal, protecting Mannone, the Champ equivalent of Mignolet!  With Van der Berg springing attack’s from deep, I thought this might be a game where we huffed and puffed but would come up short.

They sniffed out Reid, who as usual, worked his socks, but until Pato (and his classy use of the ball) joined the Boxing Day party (and Woodrow’s intelligent endeavours), he was isolated by the two Reading CBs, and lacked Taylor’s ability to make a contributions his partner.  I’ve not really seen him link well with Reid.  Woodrow and Brownhill linked well imho.  Taylor for me has only played well (not average) with Diedhiou.  Reid plays best with Diedhiou or Pato.  Tells you something.

I would say that McShane and Moore are on a par with Baker and Flint for defensive qualities...and right up there in this division. 

@Davefevs - I was going to give this a “like”, as I agreed with your summary, until I read the last sentence;

“I would say that McShane and Moore are on a par with Baker and Flint for defensive qualities...and right up there in this division.“

I think @29AR summed up the difference between the two pairing by saying:

“Did you see the quality of backpasses they gave Manone though, along with the fullbacks. It was like they were trying to make themselves and him look stupid. “

7 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

Funny how people see it so differently. I thought both were dodgy and was relieved we never signed Moore. No point Stam trying to play from the back with those two. 

I was referring to their defensive qualities...and comparison defensively with Baker and Flint.  I think that is why Van der Berg drops in....nice footballer.  Flint’s goals make such a difference 

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

I thought Frankie was playing the wrong sport the amount of times he found touch with his kicks. 

:laugh: and on one of the few occasions he got it straight down the middle, we ended up scoring albeit in injury time.

Stop booting it out, Frankie. I like you a lot  but you drive me insane.

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

I thought Frankie was playing the wrong sport the amount of times he found touch with his kicks. 

He had a poor day off the tee today.  For any golfers out there, you have days where you’re hitting it left to right, so you set up a little more left to compensate....and you pull / duck hook one left!  That’s what Frankie did today....as well as a big carve out of bounds in the second half.  Think he needs David Leadbetter not David Coles atm.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He had a poor day off the tee today.  For any golfers out there, you have days where you’re hitting it left to right, so you set up a little more left to compensate....and you pull / duck hook one left!  That’s what Frankie did today....as well as a big carve out of bounds in the second half.  Think he needs David Leadbetter not David Coles atm.

As much as I love Frankie  it's not an on the day thing though is it?  He is so annoying taking ages about things only to boot it out of play.

Hey, Frankie    How about a New year's resolution

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Before I comment on the individual threads on Taylor and Woodrow (and if there is one for Reid, that one too), thought i’d Comment on the two Reading’s CBs...make that 3, if you include Van der Berg who dropped in and has a wonderful left peg for a defender (and DM too).

I thought Moore was unlucky here when on loan, playing with a hernia (see Djúric), and also trying to dislodge Baker (Williams) / Flint / Ayling combo.  

McShane, I thought was a typical defender, not good enough for Man Utd, who’d gradually drop through the leagues as teams realised the Man Utd was not a ‘badge’ of ability but an Agent’s bargaining tool.  Over the past two and a half seasons, I’ve realised that he is a fine combative defender.

Both of them are not blessed with height, but win most in the air, and both are courageous defenders.  How many times did they get body between ball and goal, protecting Mannone, the Champ equivalent of Mignolet!  With Van der Berg springing attack’s from deep, I thought this might be a game where we huffed and puffed but would come up short.

They sniffed out Reid, who as usual, worked his socks, but until Pato (and his classy use of the ball) joined the Boxing Day party (and Woodrow’s intelligent endeavours), he was isolated by the two Reading CBs, and lacked Taylor’s ability to make a contributions his partner.  I’ve not really seen him link well with Reid.  Woodrow and Brownhill linked well imho.  Taylor for me has only played well (not average) with Diedhiou.  Reid plays best with Diedhiou or Pato.  Tells you something.

I would say that McShane and Moore are on a par with Baker and Flint for defensive qualities...and right up there in this division. 

Let’s be honest, they were up against the smallest strike pairing in the Championship.

What really starts to get on my nerves is that no matter how much its said by staff or on here people dont realise that Frankie is deliberately aiming for the touchline with a lot of his kicks.

It is a tactical instruction because conceding a throw halfway down the pitch is less dangerous than our opponents winning the ball from the goalkick and starting a counter attack.

Ideally the ball doesn't go into touch, and instead finds Flint who goes forward on goal kicks to boost chances of winning the header. But try aiming to put the ball onto the head of someone stood on the touchline 50 yards away who is being challenged in the air. It's not easy 

26 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

What really starts to get on my nerves is that no matter how much its said by staff or on here people dont realise that Frankie is deliberately aiming for the touchline with a lot of his kicks.

It is a tactical instruction because conceding a throw halfway down the pitch is less dangerous than our opponents winning the ball from the goalkick and starting a counter attack.

Ideally the ball doesn't go into touch, and instead finds Flint who goes forward on goal kicks to boost chances of winning the header. But try aiming to put the ball onto the head of someone stood on the touchline 50 yards away who is being challenged in the air. It's not easy 

Indeed.  I’ve defended Frankie’s kicking more than most.  Having said that, it was poor yesterday.

6 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

When we had Joe out there there was every chance he would win it but now he`s predominantly further back it`s not so good a tactic. Joe used to win headers out on the touchline he`d got no right to. I do tend to agree (and made the point at the game) that it`s more likely a counter attack will start from one of their CBs heading it back into our half than a throw in on half way due to our lack of height. When Milan`s back I'm sure Frankie will go a lot more central.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed.  I’ve defended Frankie’s kicking more than most.  Having said that, it was poor yesterday.

I haven't watched yesterday's game yet, so can't comment on specifics and it was more of a general comment, but at games I've been at this season when his kicking wasn't particularly bad he was still getting stick on here for it.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I haven't watched yesterday's game yet, so can't comment on specifics and it was more of a general comment, but at games I've been at this season when his kicking wasn't particularly bad he was still getting stick on here for it.

Yes, because people don’t understand it’s a tactical instruction. 

Archived