IGNORED

Is Ashton Gate big enough for top flight?

reddogkev

Since the Man U game, and with our crowds rising, I've been fretting about what will happen if we do get promoted.

I'm sure for most of the games we could sell over 27,000 tickets, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a market for in excess of 20,000 season tickets.

What is the future scope for again increasing the size of Ashton Gate, and should this be looked into, even without promotion to the top flight?

This was my main worry when I heard we were redeveloping Ashton Gate & what the capacity would be. If & when we reach the top tier, I believe we would see 30k plus crowds if able. The potential I believe is there. I’m not sure on the Atyeo circumstances, but there would hopefully be redevelopment opportunities with that stand. It would also finish off what has been a brilliant redevelopment job. COYR 

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I wouldn’t fret about it Kev.

If promoted - it would be big enough as it is for the time being. There’s scope to add a bit more capacity if we redeveloped the Atyeo which could take us up to maybe even 30k I imagine.

That would be enough unless somehow we were top 10 premier league.

I wish I could stop fretting about it, but it's keeping me awake at night!  I'm not sure it is big enough, and we need to have a clear plan for the Atyeo that doesn't include having to buy all the houses around it.

Don't even get me started on what to do with the car parking problem!

As mentioned stadium size becomes irrelevant income wise. Bournemouth, Swansea, Watford, Burnley, Huddersfield all have smaller stadiums, the Hawthorns is about the same.

Therefore the only reason to rebuild would be to fit the demand, but what's the point in that? When we get relegated, or even when the novelty of the Premier League wears off (see Southampton now), crowds will dwindle a lot. My thinking is, if these people can't be arsed to go to games now, we shouldn't even think about trying to accommodate them if and when we eventually hit the big time.

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I wish I could stop fretting about it, but it's keeping me awake at night!  I'm not sure it is big enough, and we need to have a clear plan for the Atyeo that doesn't include having to buy all the houses around it.

Don't even get me started on what to do with the car parking problem!

Reminds me of when I started to go through puberty.

West Brom manage fine at the Hawthorns and that’s got a lower capacity than AG. I think 27k is perfect for us, IF we were ever to make it to the Prem the ground would be full every game and it’s not too big for us in the Championship as we’ve seen this season.

I think we had about 23k yesterday and the ground looked pretty full (apart from the Atyeo, but that’s not our fault).

Funny that just two years ago some people were saying 27,000 would be too big for us. The improved facilities are definitely bringing greater numbers than our other Championship seasons. It's an upward trend that if managed carefully (with incentives) could see our base level support grow. In those circumstances, 27,000 in the Prem could be very tight.

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I think the novelty would wear off quite quickly and I doubt we’d be at capacity for the lesser clubs as opposed to the top half. The day trippers wouldn’t turn out for West Brom at home even in the PL.

We’d easily sell 20,000 STs so by the time you’ve kept some for away fans and POTD as obliged to do, every week would be full capacity. 

4 minutes ago, palmerred said:

Just out of interest apart from redeveloping the Ayteo, have the other stands been built so a higher tier could be added into the infrastructure over time or not. 

I think 27k is fine, obviously the Ayteo will be in line for redevelopment in years to come, but am I right in thinking the south stand was was built with a second tier possible 

34 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

As mentioned stadium size becomes irrelevant income wise. Bournemouth, Swansea, Watford, Burnley, Huddersfield all have smaller stadiums, the Hawthorns is about the same.

I would love to see us redevelop the Atyeo and eventually the Dolman if we were established in the Premier League. We could conceivably push up to mid 30k at the Gate surely. 

Stadium size and match day income is still important to those running Premier League clubs - of those you list Bournemouth want to build a new bigger stadium, Swansea want to expand theirs. Spurs have a new ground, Chelsea are building one, Liverpool have a new stand. Capacity matters.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Since the Man U game, and with our crowds rising, I've been fretting about what will happen if we do get promoted.

I'm sure for most of the games we could sell over 27,000 tickets, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a market for in excess of 20,000 season tickets.

What is the future scope for again increasing the size of Ashton Gate, and should this be looked into, even without promotion to the top flight?

Things are going great at the minute..but I do think the ground is plenty big enough for now. Games like the Man United and Man City games are rare for us...so they will sell out. If we go up and these games become every other week...novelty will start tk wear off.

Its when we hit the Champions League is what worries me....;)

Archived