IGNORED

Cup Comparison Leeds/Man City

REDOXO

As I consider myself one of our senior (old ******) posters I was looking at the threads about our pending Cup Semi. 

Like a few on here I remember Spurs and Forest well, but the one thing that struck me (omen if you like) was knocking out Leeds (FA CUP) in the early 70s. For the youngsters among you Leeds (and sadly the Sags) had gone 29 games or so without defeat that season. We came along and knocked them out over two legs (it went to a replay at Elland Road). Just a thought. 

In fairness, Leeds had lost once that season, a September League Cup game. When the 5th round of the FA Cup came round, Leeds were well into their unbeaten spell. 

In transpired later that Don Revie told his team "One goal would be enough to beat Bristol" and Billy Bremner duly put Leeds in front. However, a long diagonal ball (by Gow?) found Keith Fear who hit a stunning equaliser. The 6th round draw that tea time paired the winners of this tie with Liverpool and Bill Shankley announced "Leeds versus Liverpool will be the tie of the round".

Because of the three day week, the replay was the Tuesday afternoon. Despite that, so many turned up to watch, there were supporters of both sides locked out! No time to print and sell tickets, it was POTD. 0-0 at half time; City were not just holding on, but actually matching Leeds. 73rd minute Gillies slid through the mud to connect with a pass that beat Sprake the Leeds goalie. In the dressing room afterwards City celebrated with soft drinks; Alan D didn't think there would be a use for champagne.

The similarities between Leeds in early 1974 and Man C in early 2018 are striking though.

And after the 5th round replay win at Elland Road, Bill Shankly, who had said before the game that Leeds v Liverpool was the pick of the sixth round draw, went in to the City dressing room and apologised to all the City players.

Got to Elland Road at 1.20pm and we bought five seats together in a stand. Found out later that they had closed all terrace turnstiles at 1.15pm as ground was full to capacity. My father said it was the longest 20 minutes of his life between Gillies goal and final whistle.   

Great match - I'd just moved to Yorkshire for work  a month or so before, so when the replay was arranged, I cancelled all my appointments for the day and hoofed it to Elland Road. I was standing on my own in a crowd of Leeds supporters and was amazed not to be attacked when I celebrated Gillies' goal. Certainly made up for my earlier experience when Leeds beat us with Sprake being sent off!

I had a similar thought about the task ahead Redoxo except for the fact that we were 16th in the second tier at the time I think and did not budge from that position for weeks from what I can remember. I could not go to the replay but saw the first game from the East End. Gerry Gow played in Fear for a lob over Sprake. I don't think my feet touched the terraces again for about a minute as we all went bonkers. 

Leeds were the best in their day. Man City are the best in 2017/18. We play(ed) the best in their day. After that the comparison is over.

I was too young to remember Tottenham (remember when they caned the Gas 9-0 mind, with a certain ex City player grabbing a hat trick)

I remember Leeds. Euphoria. I remember Liverpool in the 6th Round (not euphoria).

I remember Forest, a wonder goal from Paul Mardon, I remember being at Anfield for Tinnions wonder goal.... and me silently screaming hang on, just ******* hang on as Mark Walters pulled our defence in all directions.

Somehow, Manchester City seems like a cold shower after the euphoria of Man Utd. I'd have fancied us against Arsenal....but not Man City. Won't stop me watching, hoping and praying though

15 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

My main hope is that the tie isn't out of our reach after the first leg. It will be a very strange atmosphere at the Gate if we start the game 4 or more down. 

I think we'll get absolutely annihilated in Manchester. I hope not, but I think we will. To come back to Bristol only 4 down will be a moral victory.

5 hours ago, 22A said:

In fairness, Leeds had lost once that season, a September League Cup game. When the 5th round of the FA Cup came round, Leeds were well into their unbeaten spell. 

In transpired later that Don Revie told his team "One goal would be enough to beat Bristol" and Billy Bremner duly put Leeds in front. However, a long diagonal ball (by Gow?) found Keith Fear who hit a stunning equaliser. The 6th round draw that tea time paired the winners of this tie with Liverpool and Bill Shankley announced "Leeds versus Liverpool will be the tie of the round".

Because of the three day week, the replay was the Tuesday afternoon. Despite that, so many turned up to watch, there were supporters of both sides locked out! No time to print and sell tickets, it was POTD. 0-0 at half time; City were not just holding on, but actually matching Leeds. 73rd minute Gillies slid through the mud to connect with a pass that beat Sprake the Leeds goalie. In the dressing room afterwards City celebrated with soft drinks; Alan D didn't think there would be a use for champagne.

The similarities between Leeds in early 1974 and Man C in early 2018 are striking though.

As it was a school day I couldn’t go to the replay at Leeds, and had to content myself with hearing what I could on the radio of a coach as we came back from a hockey match in Corsham. Thankfully it included the moment Donny scored, which cheered me up no end as although I scored we’d lost the hockey game 2-1. Better still it p***ed off all the Swindle fans on the coach. 

1 hour ago, HomerRed said:

I had a similar thought about the task ahead Redoxo except for the fact that we were 16th in the second tier at the time I think and did not budge from that position for weeks from what I can remember. I could not go to the replay but saw the first game from the East End. Gerry Gow played in Fear for a lob over Sprake. I don't think my feet touched the terraces again for about a minute as we all went bonkers. 

Without being pedantic Homer wasn’t it Harvey in goal?

50 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Leeds were the best in their day. Man City are the best in 2017/18. We play(ed) the best in their day. After that the comparison is over.

I was too young to remember Tottenham (remember when they caned the Gas 9-0 mind, with a certain ex City player grabbing a hat trick)

I remember Leeds. Euphoria. I remember Liverpool in the 6th Round (not euphoria).

I remember Forest, a wonder goal from Paul Mardon, I remember being at Anfield for Tinnions wonder goal.... and me silently screaming hang on, just ******* hang on as Mark Walters pulled our defence in all directions.

Somehow, Manchester City seems like a cold shower after the euphoria of Man Utd. I'd have fancied us against Arsenal....but not Man City. Won't stop me watching, hoping and praying though

Martin Scott`s best game ever. And that`s up against some pretty stiff competition - did he ever have a bad one?

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Martin Scott`s best game ever. And that`s up against some pretty stiff competition - did he ever have a bad one?

I could've sworn his nose and his feet were pointing in opposite directions on occasions that night. It was all very very tense until the final whistle blew.

As a complete aside, I'll NEVER forget The Kop who stayed to applaud City off the pitch that night. I'll also never forget getting lost in Liverpool on the way back, but stopping off in a pub.... full of Everton fans... who utterly refused to let us put our hands in our pockets for a pint. They bought the lot!!!

Archived