IGNORED

Worst single moment watching City

Aizoon

5 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned the 5-0 to Preston last season. I don't know why but it felt particularly gutting after they'd come up with us only a few seasons ago, and seemed to be SO far ahead of us on the pitch.

Pne  perplexing as wed just looked to finally be improving. It still felt like a one off and we did get the ticket money back. 

Honourable mention to the festive season 2 years ago. Went to derby to get beat 4-0 then Burnley 4-0 and finally reading 1-0. 

About 600 miles, 270 minutes 9 goals against 0 for and only looked like scoring 80 minutes in to the reading game, just before they scored. 

7 hours ago, redfieldred said:

What worse than 05 or the Wilson years. Perpetual frustration at losing play offs or finishing 7th . 

My worst Brighton 04 . I got up that morning and a seagull had crapped all over my car. It was not a good omen. Stuck in a traffic jam on the way back with a bus load of Brighton fans in front. Waving plastic seagulls and popping champagne corks. 

Yes. 100% worse. At least we played football under Wilson and won most our games. Between 2009-2013 the club was a mess, players just plating to pick up a wage, the Steve Coppell saga, having David James in goal, players like Ryan McGivern at the back and SOD of all people. Wilson gave us great memories still like Hartlepool and Mansfield but I cant think of any good memories of 2009-2013.

9 hours ago, Chivs said:

3) Anything and everything to do with S'OD.  He almost sucked the joy out of watching City for me.  Everything he used to say (and sniff) caused me grief (although a lot of it made sense but that's not the point).  S'OD brings to football all the joy of a death shroud.  If we ever play a team he is associated with, I expect to see a deathly mist hanging over the pitch with the sound of church bells peeling a lonely toll.  I'm going slightly grey inside just thinking about him.

Apologies for sharing again, but this was the view I was stuck with through the SOD era.....

20131126_210743.jpg

To feel so deflated after a period of time I would say the 0-6 drubbing in the sleet by Cardiff, on a very cold Tuesday night in 2010. But for a single point in time, by a clear mile my single worst moment... it was being stood outside o’neils opposite the Prince of Wales pub when word came through that Wilson hadn’t even put Lita on the bench! We all very nearly got back on a train home, to this day I wish we had done!

Like several others I'm going for May 1990 at Twerton. But I challenge any of the others to have had a worse time than this!

I can't remember the detail, but the game had originally been due to take place earlier, but got postponed at short notice. I hadn't been going for some reason, so didn't have a ticket. Tickets were valid for the rearranged game, and because that turned out to be so crucial, it was impossible to get a ticket.

However, a gas supporting colleague at work who had a season ticket was on holiday the day of the rearranged game, so he let me have his season ticket. First challenge was to negotiate the police cordons around the ground checking tickets, and the turnstile, as a 30 year old with an OAP season ticket! Then when I got in I found that his seat was right in the middle of the main stand, so surrounded by the most diehard gas heads. Who greeted me with 'so you're the City fan that Ron's given his ticket to'!!

So, awful as the whole experience was, at least others didn't have to watch it surrounded by gas! Needless to say, it was one of the few matches I've ever left early!

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Like several others I'm going for May 1990 at Twerton. But I challenge any of the others to have had a worse time than this!

I can't remember the detail, but the game had originally been due to take place earlier, but got postponed at short notice. I hadn't been going for some reason, so didn't have a ticket. Tickets were valid for the rearranged game, and because that turned out to be so crucial, it was impossible to get a ticket.

However, a gas supporting colleague at work who had a season ticket was on holiday the day of the rearranged game, so he let me have his season ticket. First challenge was to negotiate the police cordons around the ground checking tickets, and the turnstile, as a 30 year old with an OAP season ticket! Then when I got in I found that his seat was right in the middle of the main stand, so surrounded by the most diehard gas heads. Who greeted me with 'so you're the City fan that Ron's given his ticket to'!!

So, awful as the whole experience was, at least others didn't have to watch it surrounded by gas! Needless to say, it was one of the few matches I've ever left early!

That day was my birthday and in addition to experiencing one of the worst moments of my city-supporting life I had to put up with their rag of a fanzine being called `The 2nd of May` for years afterwards until Wycombe did us the favour of relegating them to Division 4 on the same date and they curiously changed the name.

37 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

That day was my birthday and in addition to experiencing one of the worst moments of my city-supporting life I had to put up with their rag of a fanzine being called `The 2nd of May` for years afterwards until Wycombe did us the favour of relegating them to Division 4 on the same date and they curiously changed the name.

Yes, fate does some wonderful things sometimes, doesn't it! 

The only away match ticket I still treasure to this day is the Crawley v City game that day: nothing match in every respect, but what joyous scenes afterwards!!

18 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Yeah, without a shadow of a doubt for me it has to be this one.

Smarty's goal against us in 1987 was a close second.

The 3-0 at Trumpton was a nightmare, at least we went up though.

Sure the Smart goal was New Year's Day '87. I literally threw up when it went in.

The previous 90 mins saw the Sag goal peppered with their keeper making save after save; with the woodwork helping them as well.

They get one shot at goal in the 88th minute and it flies in. Right in the middle of a sequence where we could just not beat them. Utter misery. :badmood:

(and I was sharing a house with two 15er mates at the time, as well !)

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

If I remember they had a “waterlogged pitch” and we were on fire at that time, can’t remember if the Gas had a few injuries at the time. Rumours were rife that they had watered the pitch to avoid the game!

18 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Being kept in on the terraces of trumpton and being forced to witness the celebrations that night in 90.

Which is why you can stuff your Harry Kane- NO ONE for me will ever eclipse the genius of:

COLIN DANIEL

i don't know how, where or when but one day I'm gonna shake that man's hand.

I was with my Dad who was a gashead and he told everyone i was City pure  misery i had to stay he had the car 

Rochdale away 1982 December. We went 92nd thanks to the only goal of the game trickling in past John Shaw just as it looked like we might hold out for a point. Only about 40 City fans were there in the rain. I lived in Liverpool at the time and I brought along three mates who used to watch Liverpool on the Kop. It was hard to convince them that I enjoyed watching City more Liverpool. The toilets had a window so you could watch the game as you used the urinals.

There was an emotional solo rendition of “We’ll win again, don’t know where don’t know when, but I know some sunny day we’ll win again”. Tony Harding RIP used to belt out chants on his own. His other solo was “I’ve heard more noise in a Trappist monastery”. Thirty five years on we are winnng again.

Losing to Walsall 3-1 in the first leg of the ‘88 Play-Off final at home. 25k attendance under the lights, incredible atmosphere beforehand, then David ******* Kelly ruining us. Then walking back up Ashton Road under a barrage of bottles, stones and sticks, that was a fun experience for a 9 year old let me tell you. 

Listening to the 4-0 replay was probably the worst experience hearing a game on the radio, horrible. 

5 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

They didn't change the name, by the time we were relegated I'm pretty sure it wasn't even being published any more.

though it wasn't a hammer blow moment such as being thrashed by the gas or blowing a play-off, I've just remembered against Reading during one of our all to frequent 90s relegations. It was the last game of the season with Reading supplying probably 5,000 of a total attendance of less than 10,000. It was the first and only time I've seen us out-numbered at home and it felt utterly shameful.

Equally as bad was the feeling that you didn't know when the next good times would come - if a talking cat had approached me the next day and said we'd get relegated for the next nine seasons on the trot I'd have believed it. But despite the air of despondency and hopelessness, we were all back again the following season. 

This wan't a match that defined a season or cast a cloud over the world, it was just one of those moments that left you bereft of any hope or optimism. 

5 hours ago, adamski said:

If I remember they had a “waterlogged pitch” and we were on fire at that time, can’t remember if the Gas had a few injuries at the time. Rumours were rife that they had watered the pitch to avoid the game!

That JPT game was my personal low point. I was lucky to get a ticket, the sheer embarrassment of losing that game was the worst thing to take.

I seem to remember they were due to play Stockport the weekend before, who were on a run of 7 or 8 wins on the bounce. watered the pitch on an evening the rest of the country were covering their pitch to protect against frost. Not only did they slog out that horrible result against us, they won their re-arranged game and went up on a run that took them into the play-offs and cost Stockport promotion. Had a weird soft spot for them ever since!

I have never really cared about the paint trophy, not in a distainful way I have always just taken it or left it. Just, that game :gaah:

Archived