IGNORED

Worst single moment watching City

Aizoon

10 minutes ago, cityboy said:

Has to be losing to Hull in the play offs. Yes, we had been overachieving that season, but that was our shot to make the big time and we blew it. From being top as late in the season as march, to losing the play off final just sucked in general tbh.

Odd how so many are saying the Hull game as i would have put the Brighton play off game above that as well as losing at Trumpton 1990. We were expected to go up when we played Brighton, more so than when we played Hull. With Boom Boom's illness and then Bradley Orr's injury, I left the Hull match thinking it just wasn't meant to be whereas the Brighton game, we were just sh1t and didn't turn up! That defeat really hurt! 

8 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Odd how so many are saying the Hull game as i would have put the Brighton play off game above that as well as losing at Trumpton 1990. We were expected to go up when we played Brighton, more so than when we played Hull. With Boom Boom's illness and then Bradley Orr's injury, I left the Hull match thinking it just wasn't meant to be whereas the Brighton game, we were just sh1t and didn't turn up! That defeat really hurt! 

I get where you're coming from. I was also at the Brighton game, and the singing of Al-bi-on will haunt me forever! But; the rewards on offer for the Hull game were just so much greater. I remember thinking at the time that I might not see us get that close to the top flight again in my lifetime, such is the annually increasing disparity of wealth distribution in football.

11th November 2005 - Swindon 2-1 Bristol City.

City take the lead with a Scott Murray penalty, Swindon equalise then Sankofa got a red card. Then they go on to score again to win.

That result took them above us and we were bottom of League 1. If memory serves me rightly, Swindon also had a game in hand on us. I am sure a statto among you can confirm if that's the case.

Our team that day.

Adriano Basso

Marc Joseph, David Partridge, Osei Sankofa, Kelly Youga, Bradley Orr

Scott Brown, Alex Russell, Scott Murray, Dave Cotterill

Steve Brooker

subs - Grant Smith, Matt Heywood, Marcus Stewart (unused - Steve Phillips and James Quinn)

The team was made up of crappy loan signings, a new manager who had to work with a load of new signings under the Tinnion regime and we were in freefall heading into Christmas.

Thankfully it all turned around and we finished 9th that season.

34 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Oakwell, New Year's Day 1991.

If you were there and hypothermia or drowning didn't take you you'll know why.

36 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Oakwell, New Year's Day 1991.

If you were there and hypothermia or drowning didn't take you you'll know why.

It was soaking wet. The only cover behind the terracing was taken by the South Yorkshire police. I drove back to Bristol and my car seat was still wet three days later. Shelton got a red card, we played awfully. Haven’t been back to Barnsley since

On 27/12/2017 at 20:51, Pezo said:

I came away from the Hull game thinking that was a fantastic season, I was really proud of what we had done and I could easily have another season like that again.

I came away from the Brighton game thinking bugger another year of playing a load of shit teams and were never going to get out of that poxy league, just never going to go anywhere!

Exactly how I felt. I was proud of the lads against Hull. Against Brighton I would say we were shite but it was more like constipation - the shite didn't turn up :(

The actual moment was when I looked at the programme for hope and realised that Lita wasn't on the bench :(

On 27/12/2017 at 22:09, Malago said:

Mine was the 1909 cup final.  Not only did we lose 1-0, but we ran out of Brown Ale on the way, I lost 3 bob to Aiz playing Rummy and the Charabanc broke down on the A4 at Devizes and we had to walk the last 30 miles home.

And 3 bob was worth something in those days. Several pints of cider, a lady of negotiable virtue and money left over for a cab home...

On 27/12/2017 at 22:58, cidered abroad said:

Agree with that one but here's mine.

Easter Saturday 1960, the usual fight against relegation. Home to Huddersfield. 88 minutes score at 1-1 when Atyeo scores at Covered End with header from a corner.

Two minutes later game ended City 2 Huddersfield 3. Jack Connor who joined us in the following October had scored two goals in a minute.

My first experience of City snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

But what a player Jack Connor turned out to be for us :)

7 hours ago, Olé said:

I think his last was 1-1 at home midweek to Leyton Orient (who to be fair were going well in the league). That would be up there for me simply because my train broke down at Swindon, GWR's entire network ground to a half, my total travel time to the game was 7 hours (no, seriously), I arrived five minutes into the second half close to 9pm, saw about 40 minutes of non-descript football, then went back, trains still a mess, 4 more hours to get home. 11 hours to see half of that game. :grr:

As others have said: 1. Brighton, 2. Cardiff Play Off Second Leg, 3. Hull, but here are some others that would run them close:

- Birmingham (H) under Benny (we had just had a mini-revival and that cracking win at Fratton, we played okay again but Mike Dean conspired against us, probably ended our chances),

- Colchester (H) under Pulis (realising your entire team has become so average it is just a backdrop for a talented young opponent, actually finding yourself enjoying the opposition more) 

- Stoke (A) under GJ (people forget how huge that game was - and the Stoke fans let us know it, they've been in the Premier League ever since)

I would put that Stoke game up there with anything.

that birmingham game was a real kick in the nuts following, as you mention, that mini-revival - after that last minute winner at Fratton (I remember the fences at the back being pulled down at full-time!) I thought we were dead certs to stay up. Blues at home was a blow as from what I remember we matched a promotion-pushing side blow-for-blow only to fall foul of dodgy decisions and sucker punches.

I would love to have seen Benny given a full season in charge as i fully believe he had a lot to offer us. I think he was a victim of circumstance: the right man at the wrong time, or whatever the saying is. I think there was also a sense that not everyone was pulling in his direction (inc. fans, board, players, coaching staff, etc), which again is a great shame. If anyone has any inside knowledge, would love to hear it! 

I can't remember the Colchester match you refer to, possibly because I've done my best to blot out the Pulis era. As far as managers go, he rivals Osman as my all-time figure of hate. 

On 28/12/2017 at 09:56, KingtonRed said:

Away at Crystal Palace watching mcgivern get skinned repeatedly by zaha. Horrible concrete terracing. The high point of the night was a bloke starting up 'we are bottom of the league'. Thanks for the laugh whoever you were!

I was at that game, McGivern's performance was a total embarrassment, even by his standards. Cold wet night, lost 1-0 to a late pen from a blatant dive. That kind of summed up that entire era of supporting City for me.

1 hour ago, sugarwray said:

It was soaking wet. The only cover behind the terracing was taken by the South Yorkshire police. I drove back to Bristol and my car seat was still wet three days later. Shelton got a red card, we played awfully. Haven’t been back to Barnsley since

You certainly aren't missing anything by not going!

2 hours ago, The Batman said:

11th November 2005 - Swindon 2-1 Bristol City.

City take the lead with a Scott Murray penalty, Swindon equalise then Sankofa got a red card. Then they go on to score again to win.

That result took them above us and we were bottom of League 1. If memory serves me rightly, Swindon also had a game in hand on us. I am sure a statto among you can confirm if that's the case.

Our team that day.

Adriano Basso

Marc Joseph, David Partridge, Osei Sankofa, Kelly Youga, Bradley Orr

Scott Brown, Alex Russell, Scott Murray, Dave Cotterill

Steve Brooker

subs - Grant Smith, Matt Heywood, Marcus Stewart (unused - Steve Phillips and James Quinn)

The team was made up of crappy loan signings, a new manager who had to work with a load of new signings under the Tinnion regime and we were in freefall heading into Christmas.

Thankfully it all turned around and we finished 9th that season.

That sure was a grim evening and a really poor team we had.

2 hours ago, sugarwray said:

I`d forgotten the bit with SY plod. Every time any City fans looked like they were going to attempt a foray out of the deluge they closed ranks and made it perfectly clear we weren`t getting under there.

The coach up was interesting too with everyone having been out on the lash the night before and farting for England!

1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

after that last minute winner at Fratton (I remember the fences at the back being pulled down at full-time!) I thought we were dead certs to stay up

Agreed. We'd had started to look solid and that was 2 or 3 wins on the bounce and there was a real feeling of togetherness in the away end that day, the team played with loads of heart and a little bit of swagger, and after a last minute winner in front of a sunny away terrace on Easter Monday, it really felt like the clouds were lifting.

Then Mike Dean showed up. Amazing how he's been there for our worst moment and also our best (a week ago). Still a see you next Tuesday though.

6 hours ago, Jan Window said:

I've been following City since my 7yr old started supporting in the summer.  TBH, dunno what you lot are moaning about.  Our three games: Derby, Forest, Manchester all seemed to go pretty well.

You poor bastard, you've got no idea what you're getting yourself in to. Fantastic name as well mind :laughcont:

Missed this thread!

A tossup between the 2-4 loss at home to Chesterfield when we went 4-1 down...well actually I say that but the crowd rallied and it got really quite noisy those who remained,on 19th November 2005.

I guess the worst moment of all was the 9th loss on the spin under GJ v Bradford which definitely DID see us going bottom of League One, that was the evening of 6th December 2005. We either went bottom or stayed bottom, fairly sure of it...but we were rock bottom after 20 games of League One yes!

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Missed this thread!

A tossup between the 2-4 loss at home to Chesterfield when we went 4-1 down...well actually I say that but the crowd rallied and it got really quite noisy those who remained,on 19th November 2005.

I guess the worst moment of all was the 9th loss on the spin under GJ v Bradford which definitely DID see us going bottom of League One, that was the evening of 6th December 2005. We either went bottom or stayed bottom, fairly sure of it...but we were rock bottom after 20 games of League One yes!

How can that possibly be worse than Rovers hammering us at Twerton taking the title from us and then Holloway mocking us all round Kingswood on an open top bus! Horrible memories. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Missed this thread!

That is one of my favourite games for the reasons you highlight!

15th May 1982 home game against Chester which City won 1-0 but we were making the wrong type of history. The third straight relegation to League 4 and we wondered what the hell was in stall next season and who was going to play for us. The crowd that day was 1030 which makes me smile when City fans sing " Is this a library".  

9 minutes ago, gavlin said:

15th May 1982 home game against Chester which City won 1-0 but we were making the wrong type of history. The third straight relegation to League 4 and we wondered what the hell was in stall next season and who was going to play for us. The crowd that day was 1030 which makes me smile when City fans sing " Is this a library".  

1030 crowd at AG thats not right .

Archived