IGNORED

Newcastle v Man City

Super

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

So how do we go about it as everyone so far have struggled to come up with a strategy to beat them in one game let alone over 2 legs?

Sit back is probably our best bet. Pressing them will end badly.

We should attack them - we have literally nothing to lose, plus away goals count.

Most times I’ve watched them teams attempt to contain them, and pretty much no one can do that, so try and take the fight to them.

That may be the only way, and even if it fails, at least we had a swing.

Sitting back never ends well against them either

Depending on fitness, I would play our usual game with a packed midfield and Bobby as a false no. 9, the same as we played against the other Manchester lot.

Their attacking options will seriously test whether our defence is up to the prem.

No shame if they beat us as they are world beaters. All I hope is that we give it s good go and end with our heads held high.  If we manage to beat them, getting to Wembley would be amazing, but anything can happen in football as we saw last week and we have already proved that we can live with the best.

3 minutes ago, samo II said:

We should attack them - we have literally nothing to lose, plus away goals count.

Most times I’ve watched them teams attempt to contain them, and pretty much no one can do that, so try and take the fight to them.

That may be the only way, and even if it fails, at least we had a swing.

There's no away goals rule is there in the cup? 

1 minute ago, Nube Rojo said:

our best form of defence is ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK!

sitting back and letting players of that quality come at us is suicide, take the game to them, make them think twice about us being pushovers - play our normal game I reckon!

We will get destroyed going all out attack. LJ is no fool.

Just now, Fat Cigar said:

There's no away goals rule is there in the cup? 

After extra time they count double - from the official rules;

“If the aggregate scores are still level at the end of extra time the tie shall be decided by goals scored away from home counting twice. If the teams remain equal after this procedure the tie shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with procedures as approved by IFAB.”

Watching the stingiest defence from last year’s Championship season (and conceding only 40 goals in 46 games was very decent) just now being regularly cut apart by Man City further reinforces my feelings they need to be attacked.

We won’t face this team; they have too much at stake in the league.  But even so; they’ll be on the front foot, so see no reason why we don’t do the same.

12 minutes ago, samo II said:

After extra time they count double - from the official rules;

“If the aggregate scores are still level at the end of extra time the tie shall be decided by goals scored away from home counting twice. If the teams remain equal after this procedure the tie shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with procedures as approved by IFAB.”

Away goal never count double!!

It just if scores are level Most away goals win it

20 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Sitting back never ends well against them either

Depending on fitness, I would play our usual game with a packed midfield and Bobby as a false no. 9, the same as we played against the other Manchester lot.

Their attacking options will seriously test whether our defence is up to the prem.

No shame if they beat us as they are world beaters. All I hope is that we give it s good go and end with our heads held high.  If we manage to beat them, getting to Wembley would be amazing, but anything can happen in football as we saw last week and we have already proved that we can live with the best.

Not actually true, as they haven't won anything yet

19 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

No shame if they beat us as they are world beaters. All I hope is that we give it s good go and end with our heads held high. 

I'll accept being out played, all I ask is that should we lose, we are not out classed.

1 minute ago, samo II said:

I’m literally quoting the official rules there - don’t shoot the messenger!

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/carabao-cup/about-the-carabao-cup/carabao-cup-rules--regulations/

if we draw the away game 3-3 and then draw 1-1 at the gate

we would win on most away goal

Not 7-5 on agg

5 minutes ago, 22A said:

I'll accept being out played, all I ask is that should we lose, we are not out classed.

That is a huge ask.

Not outdone for effort, energy, heart, all that stuff for sure. Would be a minor miracle if we are not outclassed to be honest..

Archived