IGNORED

Newcastle v Man City

Super

3 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Luckily we don't really play a high back line, so denying them space in behind to run into is key. We'll need to ride our luck (a lot), but similar tactics as we employed against the Red lot will probably be the way to go. Would take a 2-0 loss in the first leg.

Problem with that is Man City have won every single one of their away games this season!

One thing we have to do is make sure we go with their runners. They are capable of picking anyone apart even when you go with the runners... But if you let them go it's suicidal. 

However they wont play anything like tonights team. And wolves and Leicesters b-teams have managed to draw with man Citys b-teams so far this season in this comp.... So fingers crossed we can pull off a surprise.... 

9 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

He’s quoting writing the rules ffs. So it’s clear you’re wrong. 

So your saying away goals count as double?

ie draw 2 each = 2-4

The way i see the rule is If the scores are level after two legs The team who scored the most away goals go through 

If im wrong fine

14 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

ie draw 2 each = 2-4

The way i see the rule is If the scores are level after two legs The team who scored the most away goals go through 

If im wrong fine

Well yes, if that’s what the rule is written as, which it is

36 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

ie draw 2 each = 2-4

If im wrong fine

I realise it sounds stupid, but I honestly just googled what the rule was, and that is directly from the EFL’s own rules - I think it anticipates people just presuming something like 1-1 and 0-0 meaning one team gets through due to ‘more’ away goals; just looks like to do that, those goals technically have to count double.

21 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Well yes, if that’s what the rule is written as, which it is

Admittedly, I was weirded out by it - but if it’s written down in the official rules, who am I to disagree! 

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

One thing we have to do is make sure we go with their runners. They are capable of picking anyone apart even when you go with the runners... But if you let them go it's suicidal.

That’s why it’s imperative we press the man on the ball, cut the source out and the runners are just that.

We have to press them, they are a fantastic team, but don’t get pressed in the Premier league, Man Utd were not comfortable being pressed, in fact no footballer ( messi aside) likes being closed down very quickly.

Give them time on the ball and they will pick us apart.

Before the United game I thought that if they played De Gea there was a 0% chance of us winning, and that without him, we would have hope.

Now I say, if Man City play Mangala, we have hope. He's slow, awkward and makes mistakes. If they play Kompany, I give us 0 chance. Also if they play De Bruyne I'd probably rank our chances at 0 too. But without him, I have hope. 

7 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

That’s why it’s imperative we press the man on the ball, cut the source out and the runners are just that.

We have to press them, they are a fantastic team, but don’t get pressed in the Premier league, Man Utd were not comfortable being pressed, in fact no footballer ( messi aside) likes being closed down very quickly.

Give them time on the ball and they will pick us apart.

And our game is based around pressing quickly.

Playing to our strengths is the only chance we have, so let's do it.

Plus with the away goals rule the more we get first leg the better.

9 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Before the United game I thought that if they played De Gea there was a 0% chance of us winning, and that without him, we would have hope.

Now I say, if Man City play Mangala, we have hope. He's slow, awkward and makes mistakes. If they play Kompany, I give us 0 chance. Also if they play De Bruyne I'd probably rank our chances at 0 too. But without him, I have hope. 

Mangala has played in every league cup game so far.

Have to attack when we can and defend in an organised manner like we have done all season. Have to try and rattle Bravo like we did Romero. They will have some young player in defensive positions so have to go at them as much as possible as well. Man City will be much more patient in possesion however so we need to do the same and not pump aimless long balls up the pitch. Will be tough but think we can make it a tough 2 legs for them. Maybe enough for them to play a stronger side at AG. 

18 minutes ago, westred1 said:

They're vulnerable at corners. It was analysed on MOTD the other week. Conceded several goals from them in a couple of games against teams like West Ham. Fancy Flint cause problems but delivery HAS to be spot on which they haven't been for a few games.

Oh come on.....................do you seriously think we will get a corner:rolleyes::)

23 minutes ago, westred1 said:

They're vulnerable at corners. It was analysed on MOTD the other week. Conceded several goals from them in a couple of games against teams like West Ham. Fancy Flint cause problems but delivery HAS to be spot on which they haven't been for a few games.

Is it just me that thinks our threat from corners has been pretty poor recently.

43 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

I’m probably the only poster on here who thinks Kompany (in his prime) was over-rated.  He’s a physical man-mountain and athletic (if he was), but got bad habits from playing in midfield prior to settling into a CB at Man City.  Tackles on his arse, often close to two footed (one trails slightly behind so he’s got away with it) because he tackles face on.  Lucky for him the Prem is bereft of good defenders so he ‘was’ in a small group who were the pick of a bad bunch.  I’m not saying he’s poor, just the way the likes of MOTD and Sky raved about him was unjustified.  Injuries have caught up with.  He should still be fine against, but I can visualise Pato or Bobby sitting him on his arse, or him ‘doing them’ with a lunge.

57 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

....and Kompany/De Bruyne havent played a single second of any cup game. 

This was their lineup against Wolves in the last 16 - KDB came on after 82 minutes and played through to the shootout, which he scored in.

1 Bravo
3 Danilo (Walker 103' )
24 Adarabioyo (Stones 90' )
15 Mangala
35 Zinchenko
8 Gündogan
42 Y Touré
7 Sterling
20 Bernardo Silva (Sané 95' )
33 Jesus (De Bruyne 82' )
10 Agüero

Substitutes
2 Walker
5 Stones
17 De Bruyne
18 Delph
19 Sané
31 Ederson
43 Nmecha

How do we go about it?

They haven't been so dominant in Europe- in terms of sheer dominance of all aspects I mean. They could easily have lost in Napoli for example- yes the scoreline says 2-4 but until Ghoulam went off injured, Napoli were well on top. Man City's 4th came on break at end and their 3rd came on break at 2-2 just after Ederson made a great save. A key issue for Napoli that evening was Ghoulam went off injured, they loaned out a serviceable left back in summer, their other potential LB- didn't choose in squad so they had to out on a 36 year old right back and move right back to left back with resultant defensive mess.

Shakhtar and Napoli both caused them problems at Etihad also and of course Shakhtar beat- albeit a quite heavily changed side- them 2-1 in Ukraine.

But of course, the best example- this very competition, rotated squad- Wolves at home, 0-0 to pens. Leicester away also draw and pens. So in Cup games it seems, even important ones they can be stopped.

In reality? Dunno if we can- it's mission impossible isn't it, they are much, much better than the first Manchester.

Archived