IGNORED

Favourite Wolves memories

poland_exile

As the title says: for me, by a galloping country mile, it’ll be an early 90s match against them under a floodlit AG. We were struggling at the time, in a real relegation battle, but there had been glimmers of hope. Jacki had shown flashes of brilliance in the games leading up, whilst Dennis Smith had also just bought in a promising young chap on loan called Andy Cole.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but he made his debut against Wolves that evening. Straight off, I think everyone in the ground could tell he was a class act destined for the very top. Anyhow, with the game petering out, Jacki comes off then bench and bosh, two goals in injury time to send Ashton Gate as mental as it can go. To this day, it remains one of my favourite matches with the game ultimately prompting a revival that saw us beat the drop with ease whilst playing some sparkly football in the final third. Same result in a few days time would do very nicely.

I will always remember a 0-0 away at a mid-development/building site Molineux when Martin Scott was sent off and then injuries after all our subs were used meant that we ended the game with 9 men with Andy Cole playing left back! And Jacki nearly nicked it for us right at the end after an amazing individual mazy run.....crazy times! 

My first memory of City v Wolves was in the 60s ,probably 1965ish in Div 2 .

City had just been promoted from Div 3 and Wolves had been relegated from Div 1.

It was around Christmas time and there were about 36000 crammed into AG.

I think City lost 1-0.

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I will always remember a 0-0 away at a mid-development/building site Molineux when Martin Scott was sent off and then injuries after all our subs were used meant that we ended the game with 9 men with Andy Cole playing left back! And Jacki nearly nicked it for us right at the end after an amazing individual mazy run.....crazy times! 

I was going to mention this as well - i've a feeling it might have been a boxing day game as well? Fantastic atmosphere with us clinging on desperately but nearly winging it in unlikely circumstances at the death! My memories of that away end involve just about the biggest wire mesh net you could ever imagine to stop missiles going back and forth. Have I gone bonkers or were only two sides of the ground open (the away terrace and the double tier to our right - the other side was abandoned, whilst the other end was nearing completion)?

That Sky game a few years back where we went 2-0 down and got it back to 2-2 that was played in a biblical rainstorm with howling gales. It would never have been on if it hadn`t been on Sky and their studio nearly went a couple of times.

Absolute screamer from Nicky Maynard from wide left in front of the EE for one of ours

11 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I was going to mention this as well - i've a feeling it might have been a boxing day game as well? Fantastic atmosphere with us clinging on desperately but nearly winging it in unlikely circumstances at the death! My memories of that away end involve just about the biggest wire mesh net you could ever imagine to stop missiles going back and forth. Have I gone bonkers or were only two sides of the ground open (the away terrace and the double tier to our right - the other side was abandoned, whilst the other end was nearing completion)?

Spot on mate - except it was Dec 28 1992 - great days!

4 minutes ago, Bobby Bollax said:

David Kelly is a horses ass, he’s the meanest, he sucks.............

i remember that song being sung to him a few times over the years. He would then stick the ball into our net. 

forgotten that, takes me back to standing between pillars 3 and 4 as a young kiddy!  

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I Have seen the away fixture at the Molineux 18 visits  and yes still awaiting to witness a win    Strangely enough I was only reminded of that match  the other day when I briefly seen Andy Cole at the Forest match  and wanted to ask him if he could recall that match at left back

I remember the game that the OP mentions. Don't know that it was Cole's debut but it was definitely not long after he joined along with Rosenior.

The other one I remember from that era was a game a couple of seasons later at AG, where we beat them 2-1 and Ian Brown scored. The ground was packed because they were handing out vouchers for the upcoming cup tie against Liverpool. 

24 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

That Sky game a few years back where we went 2-0 down and got it back to 2-2 that was played in a biblical rainstorm with howling gales. It would never have been on if it hadn`t been on Sky and their studio nearly went a couple of times.

Absolute screamer from Nicky Maynard from wide left in front of the EE for one of ours

I just remember on the highlights the little ball boy cowering by the corner flag that was nearly bent in two by the wind. The rain was horizontal into the Atyeo that day

1 minute ago, WelshRobin said:

Can't remember too many positive experiences vs Wolves. The winner for me has to be Wolfie vs the 3 pigs half time punch up. Certainly took attention away from the fact we got a thrashing that day.

lively times outside the Hen & Chicken after i think as well! Despite positive memories largely lacking, always loved our matches against them - hat's off, their away following is outstanding and always lends a cup-style atmosphere! 

Archived