IGNORED

43 years ago today

22A

11 hours ago, 22A said:

28th December 1974 was my 20th birthday and I spent the afternoon stood on the Open End at Eastville. Half Time Rovers 1 - City 0. During the second half, all my mates kept coming over to shake my hand and wish me a happy birthday as the full time score was Rovers 1 - City 4. That was a birthday present to remember; thanks guys!

Today I've received this Paperback by Richard Crooks  £9.99 ISBN 978-1-78531-263-2

519CfZEdBsL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

To show how football has softened up since then, on one page it lists a team composed of Pat Jennings (Spurs), Tommy Smith (L'pool), Ron Harris (Chelsea), Denis Smith, Duncan Forbes, Billy Bremner, Peter Storey, Norman Hunter, Ian Hutchinson, Derek Dougan & Mike Summerbee. In the Reserves you could have Jack Charlton, John McGrath, Johnny Giles, Andy Lockhead, Joe Jordan, Roger Hynd, Trevor Hockey & Graeme Souness.

Quite a few of those names later went into management. A further thought; Norman Hunter & Joe Jordan played for City in the 1970s, but I don't recall us being a physical team. Mike Summerbee had been on City's books as a Youth player, but we released him to Bath, than a Man C scout spotted him.

Read it. Good book 

1 hour ago, harrys said:

My first visit to Eastville as an eleven year old, stood on the side terrace (where the players come out) no idea what the name of that terrace was called

That would have been the South Enclosure , I was stood on the North that day, seems a lifetime ago, which I suppose it was to some, yet I still remember the players from both teams of the era and would have no problem identifying them. I wouldn't recognise half the Rovers team these days and could only name 2 or 3 City players!

6 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

That would have been the South Enclosure , I was stood on the North that day, seems a lifetime ago, which I suppose it was to some, yet I still remember the players from both teams of the era and would have no problem identifying them. I wouldn't recognise half the Rovers team these days and could only name 2 or 3 City players!

Might be getting my North & South enclosure mixed up, the enclosure where you’d watch the dog racing from & where the TV gantry would of been, is that the South enclosure?

Dunno if this was the game or whether it was a Gloster Cup Final I was at when one of ours shot from just inside their half, it sailed over the R*vers keeper Billy Irwin who flapped at it and fell over, ball then hit the bar, came back and rebounded in off Irwin's arse.  Maybe someone can remember that goal and help me out here?  Same day I got mowed down by a friendly police horse outside the Muller Road End.  Ah, halcyon days, eh?

10 hours ago, harrys said:

Might be getting my North & South enclosure mixed up, the enclosure where you’d watch the dog racing from & where the TV gantry would of been, is that the South enclosure?

The South was the one that burnt down, the north was the, ahem, posher one with the restaurant at the back where you could watch the dogs from.

8 hours ago, jackofromrugby said:

Dunno if this was the game or whether it was a Gloster Cup Final I was at when one of ours shot from just inside their half, it sailed over the R*vers keeper Billy Irwin who flapped at it and fell over, ball then hit the bar, came back and rebounded in off Irwin's arse.  Maybe someone can remember that goal and help me out here?  Same day I got mowed down by a friendly police horse outside the Muller Road End.  Ah, halcyon days, eh?

Billy Irwin? Who he?

On 12/28/2017 at 11:40, Miah Dennehy said:

I seem to remember Cheesley playing and being out of shape and not highly thought of at the time, although that could be my memory playing tricks on me. Can any of you really old ******* confirm if this was true or not? Was Cheesley one of those players who didn't shine straight away?

Cheese was a bit of an ugly duckling at first. His athletic physique, energy, and battling commitment were there for all to see from the start but he took a while to find his feet football wise.

I would have been about16, no idea who I went with (if anyone)

Must have been my first City/Rovers league game at Eastville, although I'd previously been to one or two Glos. Cup Finals.

Great game, great comeback, extremely satisfying thrashing in the end, but my strongest memory - apart from Fear's incredible wind assisted goal - is looking across the terrace at my fellow City fans - a sea of bright red and white scarfs and hats in the gloom.

Got home wind battered, soaked but utterly cock-a-hoop, with the added bonus of knowing I'd be able to relive the memorable victory on West Match Special (or whatever it was called) the next day.

3 minutes ago, harrys said:

Hate to say it Miah but I thought the Huns played well all be it I only saw the second half

I thought Celtic were poor and then it seemed to dawn on Rangers they actually had a chance of winning , a draw was probably about right.

It was right down the other end to where I sit but did Craig Gordon pull off a world class save? My eyesight isn't the best, but it looked like a header from point blank range.

12 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I thought Celtic were poor and then it seemed to dawn on Rangers they actually had a chance of winning , a draw was probably about right.

It was right down the other end to where I sit but did Craig Gordon pull off a world class save? My eyesight isn't the best, but it looked like a header from point blank range.

Bounced off his shin, should of scored, the same guy missed a sitter later in the game

Archived