IGNORED

Players leaving

bengalcub

Just now, bengalcub said:

I honestly don’t think any of our boys would turn down a big money move in jan to the prem and I’m certain the board won’t stand in their way given the money it would take 

Getting £5m or so over what we value for one of our main players, just because we can, for where we are in the league would be very shortsighted of the club.

would hate to see any player leave this January, and I'd like to think most want to hang around till the end of the season to see how much they can achieve with City. That said, it's naive to think they're going to hang around forever. I think the Riyadh Mahrez situation is a good example that might burn brightly in their heads - everyone said he'd be a fool to leave for an Arsenal or PSG after Leicester won the title, now I'm sure he's cursing that he didn't do more to agitate for a move. Sometimes, there's only so much you can achieve with a club and without being a buzz-kill, we need to accept our own limitations - someone like Bryan has the potential to go to the very top, something he's unlikely to ever achieve with  City. That said, the romantic in me says they should hang about for the short-term as there's clearly something special brewing around AG. 

2 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

I honestly don’t think any of our boys would turn down a big money move in jan to the prem and I’m certain the board won’t stand in their way given the money it would take 

No, but they also won't know about it, unless the club receives an acceptable offer. 

Flints head may have been turned in the summer, but unless a top 14 Premier League side came in now, I'm not sure our players heads would turn. They would hate to join relegation battlers in the Prem for 5 months only to go down and us go up and them miss out on a season at the top level. 

If Burnley have European aspirations, they wont be looking at our players. 

29 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Yes we need reinforcements , however who do you think may leave ? Bryan , flint , baker , pato , Reid , Smith ? 

The prem clubs must be looking and compared to most championship sides all our players were free or extremely cheap therefor £5mill plus starts to look a lot to our board but peanuts to the prem clubs ? 

I really think smith and Bryan could be off which would destroy our season completely . 

Bryan and smith and whoever else going nowhere in January !!

End of season maybe but not before. 

5 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

So Southampton sell vvd for £75 mill and offer £25 for flint and Bryan there gone ...peanuts to Southampton and screws our season up ..

Southampton to replace VVD, one of the Prem's most coveted players, a record fee, with Aden Flint :blink:

Read that again, it's not going to happen.  

I think some might be overestimating the clamour for our lads. We have some talented players with Premier League potential. But they have spent half a season playing in a side greater than the sum of it's parts. I can't really see any of our players walking into Prem first XI's, apart from maybe those who look to be heading down come May. Bare in mind Tammy has made 13 starts scoring 4 goals for the bottom club.

With this in mind, I can't see the sort of irresistible fee's and contract offers that would be needed to force moves in January. The likes of Reid, Smith and Bryan know that if they play well for another 5 months, the offers will still be there in the summer (and will possibly be a bit larger).

1 minute ago, bengalcub said:

Oh they’ll be tapped up long before the club receives an official offer that’s how these agents work ..

But the fact still remains, why would they want to leave a club where they can make a name for themselves in the history books and get to the prem for a club battling relegation that we could very well pass at the end of the season.  It makes literally no sense when the player knows that he can take stock and look again at the end of the season with plenty of (still) prem clubs casting their net if we fail to get there.

13 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

The ox , Walcott, Shaw , Lallana, vvd , mane , Lovren ,schniedelin all used Southampton as a stepping stone 

And every player here is using Bristol city as a stepping stone. SL told us not to fall in love with any player as he will sell. 

I don't really get what your fear is though. We all know a transfer market is coming, just as we look to other squads to improve our own people will look at ours. But I think you have it wrong. For Flint I would fully expect Middlesbrough to come in, not Southampton though. 

How many times were we worried Maynard was going to go? We turned down massive bids from Leicester mid-Jan. We turned down bids for Bryan in the summer also. Players might go, but if they do it will be a good deal for this club. The amount of rotation we have had to do already, playing without out and out strikers for instance, just relax. The club will be prepared for bids coming in and will have replacements earmarked. 18months ago we held firm on Kodjia and got the best deal, everyone crapped themselves, but we already had a lad who went on to be scarily prolific. Was it worth worrying? 

The only one I can in all honesty see going is Bryan. The rest I don't think will be attractive enough yet to go. The only other would have been Brownhill, but look how long he committed to us for a week ago. 

Of course there is a chance that we might lose a key player in January, but the REAL risk will be the summer IF we don't get promoted - and despite our current position it's by no means certain that we will go up - there are some good teams around us all fighting for the same prize.

Right now, our players are with a team on the up - with a lot of exposure on Sky and in the other media and going in the right direction. If they leave us to go to a sinking Prem side then they are risking seeing themselves back in the Championship next season. However, if we ourselves fail to get promoted then our best players will almost certainly jump ship in order to achieve at least one season in the Prem. If that happens we will be set back about 2 seasons whilst we rebuild.

We only get 1 shot at this every 3 years.

6 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Vvd is pony only reason Liverpool want to buy is a lack of obtainable cb’s in the prem Johnny Evans £30 mill behave ... the money’s thrown around like anything ....

You seem to be assuming though that all our players want to leave. I do not believe at all that that is the case. If it was JB wouldn’t have signed again last week. Lots of stories about him going elsewhere.

Our players have done enough in the last few months to get prem moves in the summer if we don’t go up and if they want them. Our best players (bar maybe Flint) are all easily young enough to have plenty of time to move on if they want.

I genuinely believe at this stage of the season they will far more likely want to be part of a very exciting championship campaign that might end in promotion than they will dossing around the bottom half of the prem. 

i take your point on the money but I think it does players a disservice, elite athletes - particularly the group we have here - are motivated by winning stuff as well as their bank balance. 

Opportunities like they have here in the next 6 months do not come along often in a career and I cannot see any of them wanting to walk away now.

And I hope to **** I’m right!

51 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Any player that wants to go now (rather than the club forcing them too) is not the sort of player we want, and neither is that the sort of player I believe we have in the current squad.  They can do something really special this season and I imagine want to, if we fail to go up or a big prem team come in for them in the summer then I will only wish them well.  

I don't want to hold our players back but I'd hope they'd want to see the season through.

Totally agree, happy stable squad who are on the verge of something special. Why move to another club just now? You would like to think they are not in the game just for money and wish to achieve something in their careers. Things can change quickly in football!!

Sadly gone are the days of player loyalty. Money talks. I think we all need to look at players as cash in the club coffers and play them at their own game. I use the term disposable fleesh insert rather than player, if one wants out we get one in. Sad state of affairs but generated by the players themselves. What will be will be come the end of the window, not worth worrying about.

I don’t think the club would willingly sanction the sale of any of our key players.

However despite the fact that getting promoted with City would be the career highlight for many players ,especially the local ones.There is a risk if turning down a move to a lower table prem club paying 50 k a week or so on a 4 yr contract.If they get injured during the remainder of this season,that offer may not be available in the summer if we fail to go up.

Football is a short career.I can understand why someone would take the money and potentially miss out on a career highlight.

Let’s hope no one has that decision to make.

44 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The only player imo who is definitely on the shopping list of PL clubs is Joe Bryan but I doubt he'll move in January. He'll want to see if he can reach PL with his home town club.

If we don't make it, he'll be off in the summer.

And Flint if he keeps scoring at the rate he does... every manager likes a goal scoring centre half...

If a struggling Premier League club wanted a player or two to aid with the relegation scrap, they'll look toward a player with Premier League experience. We haven't got any of those. If a player wanted to move to a club fighting for promotion.... we ARE one of those.

January is the wrong time to take a "punt" on a player. I feel City can easily hang on to any player it wants to hold on to.

Should City fail to go up...I'd expect a couple of our current squad to move on...but not yet. It's nor the right time.

Now consider the boot on the other foot.... City are gunning for promotion... a great place to be for any ambitious player who wants to come to a forward thinking club. City are gunning for promotion,..and need cover/experience in key positions. There may well be a Peter Crouch a like who may wish to come on loan.

Personally I think we're in a great position and I'm not at all fearful we'll lose our better players

Archived