IGNORED

Iberian wolves view on the City

Unan

27 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Iberian? :laughcont:

Tried signing up to their forum - took me about an hour. ******* nightmare. Seem a reasonably balanced bunch though.

"The Iberian wolf is a subspecies of grey wolf that inhabits the forest and plains of northern Portugal."

1 hour ago, Tammys Scan said:

"The Iberian wolf is a subspecies of grey wolf that inhabits the forest and plains of northern Portugal."

And Northern Spain. The Iberian wolf is making a big comeback after being nearly exterminated getting on for a hundred years ago.

They are living in packs in a band across Northern Spain from the Med coast to Galicia in the north west. They are also in Northern Portugal and when I lived there in the Castelo Branco region which borders Spain about 200 km north east of Lisbon, a friend of our's saw a small pack of them on his farm about 200 km south of the Rio Douro.

It transpires that their main food is now abandoned dogs, with approx 80,000 abandoned a year in Spain and maybe thirty thousand a year in Portugal. Thus the farmers who nearly wiped them out are mostly leaving them alone as they aren't going for cattle and sheep/goats.

And before anyone thinks what a terrible lot they are for abandoning dogs, England's annual total is around 55,000. 

We were able too see some Iberian wolves in a sanctuary just north of Lisbon, and they are enthralling animals. I never get tired of seeing such wonderful ancestors of our family dogs.

Sorry for straying away from football, but there are other things in life.

Right, had a look on another of the various Wolves forums, and a few stuck out to me:

"Bakers a carthorse"

"I don't rate Flint defensively"

Would love Baker to start, and spend the whole game putting their prima donna forwards on their arse. 

Portuguese names are so interesting to me. 

They have a government list of first names that are allowed, nothing else. That would stop some of the lunatic fringe in this country. Although when every other woman is named Maria, it does cause confusion until you find out the suffixes like Light, Conception and so on.

Their family names reflect very closely their origins - home towns are popular.

Vinagre (vinegar) Coelho (rabbit) are two of the more comical. Names often remember historical characters like Wellington, Nelson as they were involved in the Iberian wars of Napoleon and the Spanish who sided with him. The nearest town to where I lived there was the site of a big defeat for Napoleon by Wellington, several years before the end game at Waterloo in Belgium.

Archived