IGNORED

How we can beat wolves today.

barneyrubble

41 minutes ago, Top of the league said:

Wolves fan here, before I go on no matter what happens 2nite our game will be a lot better than watching Cardiff and preston play, what a crap team Cardiff are and that Lee tomlin looks like James corden , now on to our match, I think and hope we will beat you, but a draw for us would not be the end of the world for us, you have got to come out and attack us, we are very good on the break costa, cav, jota, very dangerous, and we got a very good back line boly is very composed at the back, it's gonna be a great game and 2 very good footballing sides, we have got weaknesses as well,  how do you lads see the game is it a must win? And what are bristol CityS strengths and weaknesses? 

Strengths:

Never say die attitude 

Great team spirit 

Able to eat advent calendar one day at a time 

Weaknesses:

Eats one Cadbury’s finger, ends up eating the whole pack.

1 hour ago, Top of the league said:

Wolves fan here, before I go on no matter what happens 2nite our game will be a lot better than watching Cardiff and preston play, what a crap team Cardiff are and that Lee tomlin looks like James corden , now on to our match, I think and hope we will beat you, but a draw for us would not be the end of the world for us, you have got to come out and attack us, we are very good on the break costa, cav, jota, very dangerous, and we got a very good back line boly is very composed at the back, it's gonna be a great game and 2 very good footballing sides, we have got weaknesses as well,  how do you lads see the game is it a must win? And what are bristol CityS strengths and weaknesses? 

Get behind us. Either by getting to the bye line and getting balls in between our back 4 and keeper or get us on a high line and have pace to get behind us. Do you have pace or good wide players?

For all their attacking ability, I don't think the wolves defence is the best (as we proved by scoring 3 at molineux). I'm hoping our set pieces and Magnússon long throws may just give us the edge in a tight match.

Looking forward to an entertaining game where both teams will look to counter attack the other.

6 minutes ago, INCRED said:

The weather will be our secret weapon today, driving rain and wind will demotivate them and mistakes will be a plenty

Was going to say this. 

Weather looks awful and it won’t be easy to play free flowing football.

It could be about grinding out a result today, maybe won on a set piece - something we are good at doing. 

Can’t wait for this one.

:city:

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Was going to say this. 

It could be about grinding out a result today, maybe won on a set piece - something we are good at doing. 

Can’t wait for this one.

Agree...can see the weather effecting the result today. A game of 'mistakes' maybe?

I'd be encouraging a shoot on sight mentality, especially with this strong swirling wind and the way the league football moves.

A tough day for defenders and GK's.

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Was going to say this. 

Can’t wait for this one.

Greasy,slippy surface-get in amongst em and shoot on sight-if personnel allows would even let Flinty enjoy a short Cameo "up top" later in the game..

6 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Get behind us. Either by getting to the bye line and getting balls in between our back 4 and keeper or get us on a high line and have pace to get behind us. Do you have pace or good wide players?

Yes we got Costa, cav, jota very good and pacy player, I'm very worried about set pieces with flint in your team, I really like Bryan  ( think I've got his name right) very good and pacy got a great left peg on him, also Patterson and Reid good players just hope its a great game 

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Agree...can see the weather effecting the result today. A game of 'mistakes' maybe?

I'd be encouraging a shoot on sight mentality, especially with this strong swirling wind and the way the league football moves.

A tough day for defenders and GK's.

2 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Greasy,slippy surface-get in amongst em and shoot on sight-if personnel allows would even let Flinty enjoy a short Cameo "up top" later in the game..

Think I read on another post that their loses have all come in the rain. Perhaps their Portuguese stars don’t like getting wet....

I think back to the 3-3 at Molyneux and how we could easily have lost that by 5 or won it. It was that topsy-turvy a game it really could’ve gone either way.

In that game we were hopelessly exposed on a number of occasions to their counter-attack, particularly down our left side. All too often we lost the ball about 10-15 yards into their half and they broke so quickly. Numerous dangerous crosses came in and we were fortunate on a lot of occasions. 

However, on the flip side, we were superb ourselves and fought doggedly. Energy, willpower and ability all contributed to us getting the draw. 

So, how we stop them is by negating their swift counter-attacking. That was our biggest problem last time, so our full backs must maintain their shape at all times, or at least have the wherewithal to get back into defensive positions as soon as we lose the ball. Our high press will be important, so squeeze and pressure their back line when on the ball so that they are not able to release quick attacks. 

We also have to be aware of their excellent movement and off the ball attacking runs. Our players need to be so alert to negate these. 

My fear today is that our players are so jaded after so many huge efforts that they won’t have the energy to nullify Wolves as we should. I believe this might be a game too far for us. 

17 minutes ago, WSMRobin said:

For all their attacking ability, I don't think the wolves defence is the best (as we proved by scoring 3 at molineux). I'm hoping our set pieces and Magnússon long throws may just give us the edge in a tight match.

Looking forward to an entertaining game where both teams will look to counter attack the other.

They have conceded 19 goals in 24 games, the best in the Championship. I wouldn't read too much into one game.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

They have conceded 19 goals in 24 games, the best in the Championship. I wouldn't read too much into one game.

TBF I did think the same as @WSMRobin when I watched them on TV v Wednesday the other day. They did look a bit rattled on the rare occasions they were pressed and didn`t really look settled until they brought on Danny Baath late on to see the game out. Bennett in particular looked like he was prone to being wound up and could easily have been sent off for one bit of retaliation on Rhodes.

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

TBF I did think the same as @WSMRobin when I watched them on TV v Wednesday the other day. They did look a bit rattled on the rare occasions they were pressed and didn`t really look settled until they brought on Danny Baath late on to see the game out. Bennett in particular looked like he was prone to being wound up and could easily have been sent off for one bit of retaliation on Rhodes.

The same vs millwall. I appreciate their defensive record but is that maybe because teams are showing too much respect and being defensive? On occasions when teams have had a go at them, they have looked vulnerable defensively

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Marianne Faithful swore by Mars Bars (don't Google it kids) but each to their own. :whistle:

She wouldn't with the size they have shrunk to these days! :shocking:

11 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Wednesday had plenty of possession but weren't really a threat I felt.

Of course we are a much better side than Wednesday.;)

Not seen lots of Wolves on the telly this season, but they tend to set up 343. Which is how Reading set up, and caused us problems.

Boly might be injured (I think) which is a loss for them, and Coady is a midfielder playing in the back 3, so that they can start from the back.  But I think it is something we can get at, but Reid won’t be able to do it as a lone striker.  3 vs 1 is where we struggled first half v Reading

Doherty is a massively underrated RB / RWB (who can play left too), and the way he links up with whichever side man he plays behind will be key.  Keep him on the back foot and we stop Cavaleiro or Jota to some extent.  If he plays right, then having Magnüsson and Bryan on our left will be one great match-up.

From the game at Wolves at their place, we flexed our set-up a few times during the game with varying degrees of success.  I do think a standard 442 is our best way to set up, hopefully with Woodrow supporting Reid. Getting those balls down the side of their 3 CBs to get ourselves up the pitch should be a good option.  Cavaleiro and Jota will stop our FBs getting forward and springing our attacks from there. Of course if those two are lazy, we can create massive overloads, but of course then become susceptible to counter attacks, which is probably what Wolves want.

In the centre of the park you could see a straight 2 v 2 match up, Neves and Saiss vs Smith and Pack.  I think LJ will want to create a numerical advantage in there and either Brownhill will play narrow or our no10 (whoever that is) will play deep.  I’m sure LJ is better qualified than me, but I think I’d rather go 2 v 2, both Wolves players don’t break the lines, so as long as our WMs are disciplined in tracking Doherty and Vinagre, then you’d hope our back four can cope with their front 3.  Our out ball is then in the space behind their WBs, with the willing rubs of Reid and whoever partners him.

Gonna be an interesting match.  Unlikely to be there (in laws coming, unless they leave early), so tv won’t give a great view of tactics.

1 hour ago, Barney red said:

Let's have a go then.

Fielding dominates his box makes great saves when needed and kicks the ball well.

Centre halves shackle bonatini and cause havoc at set pieces.

Fullbacks stop there wide players pressing forward and overlap when able.

Magnússon launches wind assisted missiles into there box for flint to head home.

The midfield  run and tackle like men possessed for 90 minutes and deliver killer passes.

Whoever is up top converts any chances which come along.  

We have players who can do all this were a bloody good team.

easey peasey

1 hour ago, RobArnold10 said:

I think as dangerous as it is, it may be worth playing them at their own game. Let the midfield sit deeper and look to catch them on the break. We have the pace even with injuries, and plenty of pace on the bench too as the game wears on. Otherwise I think set pieces could be our best weapon tonight.

We didn’t change our own game Vs Man United, so I doubt we will against Wolves..! 

It seems that both us and Wolves like to play in the same style - sitting back and reeling the opposition in, before hitting them on the break. 

I know it’s horrible to watch, but maybe we should play this one ‘direct’. If they won’t attack us then we put Taylor and Flint in the box and launch balls forward to them from the safety of the halfway line?

just saying.......

6 hours ago, downendcity said:

On OTIB?

The title got be excited.

5 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I've been advising Lee Johnson this season

Very glad he has not been listening too good.

5 hours ago, BigTone said:

It's working.  Had you thought of offering your services to Gareth Southgate ?

I rather think not.

Archived