IGNORED

Portway P&R - more buses needed

Red Exile

Becoming ridiculous. Two buses. Week after week both leave at the end if the match with another bus full of folk left standing...who have to wait for the buses to get all the way down to the P&R and back. Happens every match. Small kids and older folk waiting 40 minutes plus in the rain. Sort it out City.  If we have higher attendances whoever managed this contract needs to react. 

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Pretty sure city are a football club rather than a bus company.

Might be worth asking the new SLO if there is anything they can do, but given how shoddy public transport in Bristol has been for years, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Still, we have Metrobus to raise our expectations...

I'm not the only person who has written to the club. And if the club promotes the service, as it does, and encourages its use then I think  it's reasonable to assume that it liaises with the bus suppliers. And to expect more buses when games are sold out. Standing in the pouring rain I think it's not unreasonable to moan a bit. There are hundreds of us here. As there are on Boxing Day when the rain was biblical!

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

bump

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO not sure whether this is your territory but lots of unhappy people waiting in the rain after the past two matches...

I’d hope this is exactly his territory, otherwise I don’t know what his role is. It’s all about improving the match day experience and for a good number of fans, this current service isn’t good enough.

5 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

bump

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO not sure whether this is your territory but lots of unhappy people waiting in the rain after the past two matches...

Im afraid I don't know the current set up or relationship between the club and P&R but ill add it to the list to see what's happening. Bear with me as lots to do. 

4 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I’d hope this is exactly his territory, otherwise I don’t know what his role is. It’s all about improving the match day experience and for a good number of fans, this current service isn’t good enough.

Couldn't agree more. Improving the match day experience is what its all about and that includes getting to the stadium and getting home. 

6 minutes ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

Couldn't agree more. Improving the match day experience is what its all about and that includes getting to the stadium and getting home. 

Thanks Matt. I'm not sure what proportion of our supporters travel from outside the city to matches but down the years it has become progressively more difficult to get to matches. At one point it was possible to park in the streets around the ground, or in a local car park. This has become a lottery, which to have a chance of winning requires arriving in Bristol long before the match, and at the end of an hour or more of driving it's not a realistic option week in and week out. The trains are expensive and for midweek matches don't run late enough to guarantee getting home. So the Park and Ride has been a great option, I suspect its proving more popular than expected.

I tried it out as didn't fancy the stress of parking near the ground and getting out again. 

Brilliant going out, worked a treat. Coming back the wait was unacceptable. Wished I'd driven! No probs once on the bus, swift enough. Just need another bus in circulation. 

1 minute ago, Manon said:

I tried it out as didn't fancy the stress of parking near the ground and getting out again. 

Brilliant going out, worked a treat. Coming back the wait was unacceptable. Wished I'd driven! No probs once on the bus, swift enough. Just need another bus in circulation. 

Spot on...there's a simple solution.

I agree that there needs to be more buses running after the games. A long wait to get home after an evening game or when the kids come along too is unacceptable. It’s a good service and saves the hassle of parking near the stadium, but becomes frustrating if you miss the (full) buses after the game. There’s clearly a demand for the service, but it needs to get everyone home quicker. No complaints at all about getting to the stadium - it works very well in that direction. 

1 hour ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

Im afraid I don't know the current set up or relationship between the club and P&R but ill add it to the list to see what's happening. Bear with me as lots to do. 

If you can't influence the bus company, then at the very least Bristol Sport should be able to switch the rain off and make things a bit warmer.

1 minute ago, Up The City! said:

I drive right past the P&R before and after every game, as do many many more. I've often thought about using it but what puts me off is the cost and the lack of busses. 

Don't Brighton do something for free? I'd 100% use it if it were free.

Local travel is built into the ticket price in Brighton, whether you use it or not.   I got free train travel to the Amex last season with my away ticket as live within the zone.

20 hours ago, kivsy said:

I use the portway , another bus is. Needed however the bris p and r  seems to have more busses lined up after the game.   

There were still nigh on 100 of us, last night, waiting for an hour for the Bris P & R. Luckily, it was all in good humour. One gentleman is going to contact our new SLO to see if anything can be done. It appears that we have a choice at the moment, either miss the end of the game or stand on a bus stop for nigh on 1 hour waiting for the 1st AG2 to get back from Brislington. If a further bus could be organised so there are 3 waiting at the end of the game rather than 2, we could all get away relatively quickly.

In First bus's defence, the P and R system was organised when lower attendances were the norm, maybe someone in the club could ask them to reassess the number of buses now that the attendances are much higher? @Mkelly?

For a Council that is anti-car, they do just about anything they can to deter people from getting out of their cars and use public transport.

Why not employ someone to count up the number of tickets purchased to get to AG, then get said person to work out how many buses are required to take people back. Not difficult, unless you know you have captive custom and couldn’t care a shit about them.

Oh for a big car park near Long Ashton, quick and efficient bus services to Temple Meads. Knowing the Council, they would stop football fans from using the car park and ensure that any metro-bus services sped past the ground without stopping.

Useless. What with rip-off local car parking fees, this long distant traveller is finding AG a less attractive proposition that when we had 3,500 attendances. Pity, given the football and ground offer is as good, if not better, than it ever has been. 

Thanks @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO for looking into this.  I used the Brislington P&R previously but have given up on it as it's in my opinion nothing like as advertised.  I now take my chance with driving down.  I've complained to First  Bus in the past about poor service but couldn't be bothered this time as they just responded with platitudes last time.

4 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Why not employ someone to count up the number of tickets purchased to get to AG, then get said person to work out how many buses are required to take people back. Not difficult, unless you know you have captive custom and couldn’t care a shit about them.

I’m fairly sure all the ticket machines are computerised and they know exactly how many people travel from the car park to the ground pretty instantly. I’m also sure that First Bus have a local bus control room. Unfortunately it’s either bad management or not giving a toss. We were supposed to be the green capital of Europe yet Bristol virtually monopolise the the pubic transport. First doesn’t give a toss if we wait for an hour outside Ashton Gate or not because it’s more profitable if they allow just that. Unfortunately it’s more about profit than service.

Morning all and Happy New Year! 

I have spoken to someone at the club who has advised that there is a meeting with First Bus later this month to discuss the current service both pre match and full time. So we can help First Bus understand the issues, could I ask anyone who has had an issue to email me with the following details; 

Date -

Bus number/destination - 

Pick up point -

How long you waited - 

Any other info -

I'll then create a case study to present to First Bus and will ensure the views of everyone impacted are represented at the meeting. Email address is matt.parsons@bcfc.co.uk

Safe travels to everyone going up to Villa Park. See you up there. 

Matt

Just want to bump this back up the forum in case people have missed @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO reply. It’s a helpful response and even though I don’t use the P&R buses it’s great to see our SLO taking up this issue for us, so please provide any info to him as he only has what people can give to work with.

Archived