IGNORED

Atmosphere tonight

RedNight

10 hours ago, RedNight said:

Says a lot when the away fans are singing "is this a library".

Surprising to hear such a tame atmosphere for a top of the table clash? Silent first half. Picked up when we scored and we were nowhere at 1-1. Pretty disappointing to see flint 2nd half have to try and whip up the crowd! 

Wolves fans also showing how it's done away from home. Compare their support to ours at QPR a week ago. Worlds apart. 

Normally the Gate is ok mind, but thought tonight we could of been better. Especislly at 1-1. Players could of done with us ! 

So I imagine you were singing your heart, gut and liver out all game then?

Its all good saying this but all it takes is 4-5 people to start a song in one area and people will join in. 

2 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

So I imagine you were singing your heart, gut and liver out all game then?

Its all good saying this but all it takes is 4-5 people to start a song in one area and people will join in. 

I think that’s the issue though. Aside from a couple of areas in the ground - if you started a song in most places at AG you’d face silence from those around you. 

If you dared stand up for longer than 10 seconds you’d be told to sit down. 

The majority of the ground is pretty poor for noise unless spurred into life by on-pitch events.

From the family area, my eldest thought you were "having a chant-off" for the first 10-15 minutes because it sounded like S82 and their fans were bouncing off each other.

There's a lot of kids and parents up there that are joining in with you guys - don't know whether it is the acoustics but you always sound loud to us (although the slight lack of clarity allows us to get away with not explaining the words for every chant to a six year old :ph34r:) and you're doing a good job of getting them to understand that chants and songs are part of going to the football

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If we had Blocks A & B of the Dolman anything like it was in late 80’s / 90s We’d be rocking it

Some of the apathy to make any noise at all, amongst many in the Dolman these days is nauseating

Agreed - I sit in the lower dolman E30 so fortunately can hear S82 and my daughter and I join in with every song but not at full fervent styley as literally nobody within 10 yards of us joins in - and I mean nobody - great seats I don’t want to give up but not sure I can stand it much longer.

Put it this way - 2 in front of us spent the Manchester game taking selfies and pictures of the MANCHESTER players and uploading to Facebook during the game !!

9 hours ago, Harry said:

From S82 tonight the atmos started well and then dampened a bit after the sending off. Was overall pretty decent but has been better this season. 

However, I only heard Wolves on a few occasions. I guess the fact we’re making noise ourselves we don’t tend to hear the noise from 110 yards away. And I’m sure they didn’t hear us much either for the same reason. 

Ultimately, I see a lot written on here about the atmos. Well, there’s about 800 or so of us in S82 who sing for the majority of the game. Perhaps the 22,000 others can up their game? 

Agreed. I dread to think what it would be like without S82

I sit in the Dolman, and it's what I call the 'pundits' stand.

People mainly sit and discuss about what's going on the pitch. Everyone is a 'football manager' for the day it seems.

They do react to a goal or good move. But very little singing or chanting. And I don't think you're ever going to change that...it's not what they do.

However...I did laugh yesterday. A father and son probably 80 and 60 yo's...Flat caps, trainspotter type anoraks and gloves on, stood up giving it large, chanting and pointing at the Wolves fans...'who are ya...who are ya'...made me chuckle...good on em, life in the old dogs yet ;-)

10 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Very loud and clear in s19

Wolves loud and clear from the Lansdown, bar 'come on you reds' City noise just lacks substance and numbers at times, there is hope though as I do  think it's spreading across the South stand better, I can't see anything ever coming from lansdown lower so it does need Dolman blocks A and B then it may galvanise things overall...but as people say footy is so different now from the Dolman heyday of the 80's and 90's. 

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

People mainly sit and discuss about what's going on the pitch. Everyone is a 'football manager' for the day it seems.

They do react to a goal or good move. But very little singing or chanting. And I don't think you're ever going to change that...it's not what they do.

However...I did laugh yesterday. A father and son probably 80 and 60 yo's...Flat caps, trainspotter type anoraks and gloves on, stood up giving it large, chanting and pointing at the Wolves fans...'who are ya...who are ya'...made me chuckle...good on em, life in the old dogs yet ;-)

Spot on. Dolman is now full of the fans who’ve done the singing/chanting going nuts for 90 mins and just want to watch football now. However, if some of them start a chant I’m sure slowly people will join in.

Hörður definitely heard us from S82 in the second half, gave us a clap when singing his song.

Sitting at the back of the Lansdown top tier I have to say Wolves came across louder and more consistent all game. S82 were impressive but didn't come across as loud. First sending off definitely killed it as the game became a cat and mouse with Wolves generally keeping 10 men behind the ball switching between 5-4-0 and 5-3-1. 

Really think we need to sort out the pre-match music - get the crowd whipped up and involved more.

16 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Spot on. Dolman is now full of the fans who’ve done the singing/chanting going nuts for 90 mins and just want to watch football now. However, if some of them start a chant I’m sure slowly people will join in.

Hörður definitely heard us from S82 in the second half, gave us a clap when singing his song.

I've seen people try to do it...the reaction given, is very often very similar to Captain Mainwaring scolding the young Pike...'Don't be so stupid, sit down boy'. :laughcont:

In fact...the Dolman is very similar to the cast of Dads Army imo. Old men with a sprinkling of Pikes :laugh:

46 minutes ago, hantsred said:

Sitting at the back of the Lansdown top tier I have to say Wolves came across louder and more consistent all game. S82 were impressive but didn't come across as loud. First sending off definitely killed it as the game became a cat and mouse with Wolves generally keeping 10 men behind the ball switching between 5-4-0 and 5-3-1. 

Really think we need to sort out the pre-match music - get the crowd whipped up and involved more.

Agreed - one of our main songs seems to be the one we used to sing Freemans on Fire too and unless somebody posts what we are now singing instead nobody seems to have a wucking foo what lyrics to use now !!

Morning @ZiderEyed there are lots of things to look at that's for sure. If you and @Phileas Fogg are at Villa Park tomorrow let me know via Twitter and we can have a chat about some of these suggestions. Im up for doing whatever we can to improve the match day experience. I'll be at the ground pretty early as i'm leaving Bristol at midday. 

Enjoy your New year celebrations. 

Matt 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Haha...you are describing me! See another thread for my justification...

Thought it was rather poor last night, and I'm in S82.

However, it was good up until the sending off but that changed the dynamic of the game and made it a much less entertaining spectacle. Despite that it was a shame that it went quiet, should have been one of the best atmospheres of the season, under the lights and in a 1st vs 2nd game.

I thought Wolves fans were pretty good, heard them quite often and made a good noise, especially considering the average acoustics of the Atyeo.

Saying all this, if we talk about an atmosphere it requires the rest of the stadium to get involved more often!

Its an un written rule at many clubs that if we are taking a big away following we are all going to stand and make some noise.. thats never been the case at BCFC sadly.. you can argue as to why, maybe we have quite an elderly/been there done it kind of away supporter who cant be arsed to get involved and would rather sit in silence..

Ive got to be honest just looking at a Wolves or Leeds type away following they do seem to have a lot more of your boisterous type of fan.. blokes ageing from about early twenties to late fifties.. i do think its a success thing aswell.. if we can get to the Prem i can imagine more of a large away mentality building amongst our lot and a better atmosphere will probably follow as opposed to just a few big away days a year as we now currently have..

39 minutes ago, bris red said:

Its an un written rule at many clubs that if we are taking a big away following we are all going to stand and make some noise.. thats never been the case at BCFC sadly.. you can argue as to why, maybe we have quite an elderly/been there done it kind of away supporter who cant be arsed to get involved and would rather sit in silence..

Ive got to be honest just looking at a Wolves or Leeds type away following they do seem to have a lot more of your boisterous type of fan.. blokes ageing from about early twenties to late fifties.. i do think its a success thing aswell.. if we can get to the Prem i can imagine more of a large away mentality building amongst our lot and a better atmosphere will probably follow as opposed to just a few big away days a year as we now currently have..

Bristol has the biggest population of people outside of London that actually play football instead of watching.

Most 'young ens' up to their 30's that love football, actually play.

The one's I know that have 'retired' have young families and have taken up sports like Golf to fill their Saturdays.

I did the same for many years, and it wasn't until I hit my 40's that I actually started to make Saturdays a regular watching football...still didn't stop me putting Golf match's in front of watching though.

I'd actually be happy to make all football match's a Saturday evening event. So as to play and then watch.

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Read this and thought that’s not true at all

Then I read this and thought this is getting to the core

And then thismpost which simply explains better than I could that where you sit absolutely affects your own behaviour

I continue to sing and stand occasionally for a few seconds in the Dolman and looking around me you’d think that I had three heads- hardly encourages some to get involved does it 

Especially when you got a lot of funny looks aswell, maybe it's just down to some people enjoy a good sing along to get there team going and don't care what people think of them and others and then you get people a little more reserved and enjoy just sitting there and watching a good game of footballl with not knowing the capabilities of the 12th man, I suppose that's just how some people are, each to there own

54 minutes ago, bris red said:

I think it's also a big club/small club thing. Wolves and Leeds are big clubs. Add to that Sheffield Wednesday. All of them often sell out and their entire away support stands.

I think for smaller clubs where sell outs occur less often - there's usually ample room for people to move about which gives people a choice of sitting or standing. For bigger clubs, years of sold out away ends with no enforcement of allocated seating means people will stand generally as they don't have a choice.

I saw a picture of a few hundred Plymouth fans who'd made the long journey to Blackpool yesterday - loads of room in the away end and 90% sat. Outside of historically biggest 20 clubs nationally, I think this is the norm.

The best away days with City are usually midweek with a healthy following, but not quite a sell out. Tends to attract a younger crowd, less families and people have more to drink. I always remember Charlton away (10 years ago!!) which was a perfect example of that.

I really really hope Man City away doesn't become a sitting-fest. Would be such a disappointment and other fans would mock it when pictures get shared online.

12 hours ago, shelts said:

Spot on . **** the elderly , the infirm or kids

Doesn't seem to affect the elderly or kids at Leeds, Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton, West Ham, shall I go on?

Even when we have a big game everyone stands, Villa away, Cardiff away etc. 

There are also plenty of kids and elderly people in S82 every week.

10 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Dolman B block years ago had some proper noise in it as well as plenty of loons with many a witty putdown or verbal aside. After the EE, become my area of choice, always a laugh and a song, especially on the back row. Bet it's not like that now.

When we used to bang them wooden seats up and down in unison that was some fooking noise back in the day.i used to love it in block b at the back

14 hours ago, RedNight said:

Says a lot when the away fans are singing "is this a library".

Surprising to hear such a tame atmosphere for a top of the table clash? Silent first half. Picked up when we scored and we were nowhere at 1-1. Pretty disappointing to see flint 2nd half have to try and whip up the crowd! 

Wolves fans also showing how it's done away from home. Compare their support to ours at QPR a week ago. Worlds apart. 

Normally the Gate is ok mind, but thought tonight we could of been better. Especislly at 1-1. Players could of done with us ! 

i wasn't at the Gate, but saw the game on TV. Dunno if the Wolves fans were alongside microphones, but hearing the sound coming over the TV, you're 100% accurate with your remarks.

3 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Doesn't seem to affect the elderly or kids at Leeds, Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton, West Ham, shall I go on?

Even when we have a big game everyone stands, Villa away, Cardiff away etc. 

There are also plenty of kids and elderly people in S82 every week.

I couldn’t agree more with your post . Z the same myself . 

16 hours ago, bris red said:

Sounded quiet on the box i must say.. all about where you are stood/sat i suppose but for me section 82 really needs to expand across the South Stand if possible.. its just not enough to have that as our only real main singing outlet.

yes very quiet on the box ;-).  mind had sound off.  B-)

I watched the game live and recorded it on TV. Once again the pundits commented on City's brilliant atmosphere. It only seems to be Gasheads and a small section of our own fans who seem to believe the atmosphere is better elsewhere. I've posted this so many times and I find it tiresome, but as someone who has lived in a number of places around England, other fans always consider Ashton Gate one of the most noisy and intimidating venues in the league. Stop doing ourselves down.

Thought Wolves were fairly quiet until FF got sent off and they equalised, they then had the initiative and their fans got right behind them as you’d expect, just a side note but Villa would rather have 10,000 empty seats tomorrow rather than give us any more than 2000 tickets, same with Birmingham only giving us 2000 odd, QPR also did the same and they only had 11,000 home fans against us

One of my City mates could not make it yesterday and so I invited another friend who is a mad keen Bristol Rugby STH to take his seat. First time he had been to football at AG.

He could not believe the noise we made - compared to the Rugby fans. Admittedly they get a smaller attendance, but from where we sit (Dolman E33 - the old Block B) it was great.

Admittedly, the Wolves fans hardly stopped singing throughout the game - except just after our goal, but we should never forget that fans who go to away games regularly, tend to be more, well - fanatical.

No need to knock ourselves about this. A full Ashton Gate since the redevelopment is  very intimidating place for visiting teams. 

17 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If we had Blocks A & B of the Dolman anything like it was in late 80’s / 90s We’d be rocking it

Some of the apathy to make any noise at all, amongst many in the Dolman these days is nauseating

Agree bob , I sit in  A block and have done sine the late eighties , was always a decent atmosphere . Still enjoy singing myself and wish more would as well but each to their own I suppose. Two blokes who sit next to me don’t even speak to anyone the whole game , just sit there in silence apart from celebrating a goal. 

The atmosphere was great up until Wolves had their player sent off. Then all the pace and energy in the match evaporated as it became like a training match -attack v defence . Half time possession stats were 64 /36 in our favour but no goal threats  since our numerical advantage.We were not able to  produce moments to get fans out of their seats. The last 30 minutes of the first half were  probably the most boring at home this season IMHO. Thousands left their seats  early before half time to beat the queues  including myself for the first time ever. Better in the 2nd half as we pressed more resulting in our first goal when the Gate erupted  and continued to be very loud until the fiasco of the first Wolves goal. After that the momentum switched 180 degrees and the Wolves fans were in the audio ascendancy .

Like many fans I believe the atmosphere is much improved over recent seasons with the move of the singing section the catalyst for raising the volume. I sit in the Lower Lansdown and that along with all other parts of the ground have contributed to a greater or lesser extent to the decibel increase at the Gate. In fact yesterday on several occasions the Dolman A block or the South Stand started a chant or two. Don't knock the fans , our support is growing , averaging well over 20 k for home league games and  the atmosphere is often intimidating . There is a causal link to noise levels and yesterday  was a classic example of that in the first half.

Having said that I, like many other fans want the pre match nonsense to be turned off to allow the fans to create the atmosphere . Perhaps aided by a re -run on the big screens of recent City goals to add to the mixture. Off to Villa tomorrow where I'm sure we will make ourselves heard amongst the villains.

Archived