IGNORED

Sky commentator just said......

Lanterne Rouge

The 'problems' of last season in terms of results were down to LJ trying to determine which of the players he felt would be able to play he in the way he wanted to., namely high press and high energy.. it took him many games to filter out the players he felt weren't suitable and Tomlin was one of them.

Everytime LJ has spoken about Tomlin he says that LT was a real character within the squad but travelling 6 hours a day was having a detrimental effect on him. I'm not so sure that Tomlin as disruptive as some think.

The squad most, if not all could see what LJ was trying to do and if they did go to SL in support of him then that's sure a sign of what high regard they hold him

This impressive season is the result of the 'pain' the club through last season and credit has to go to all concerned - the players, LJ and of course SLhimself.

I could be wrong but I always suspected that - whilst it may not have helped if Tomlin had personal problems - the major problems were:

1) The squad lacked depth until January. From November to January we were threadbare and it hit results and, by the time we could get players in, we were already in the middle of a slump.

2) JP - much as he deserves credit for his work in our promotion season and after Cotts left - had different ideas and a different approach to LJ and that led to players getting mixed messages and a sense everyone was not pulling in the same direction. I wonder if it may even have been that LJ and JP tried to find a middle ground and much of what we watched was a mish mash of ideas that could only ever really be resolved by JP getting in staff who were on the same wavelength.

3) LJ was finding his feet in the Championship and made some tactical mistakes which he has learned from this season. 

14 minutes ago, chinapig said:

But weren't we told by those itk last season that a deputation of senior players went to Steve to demand Lee be sacked? :blink:

You're thinking of his dad.

I seriously doubt that happened in LJs case. More likely the opposite but we'll never get to know - not that it matters now.

57 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

SL said the same thing (players saying " don't sack Lee") during one of his interviews with Geoff Twentyman earlier in the season.

I don't think we should read too much into this though, SL clearly made his mind up to stick with LJ come what may. He makes all the important decisions - if the players had said don't sack Cotts (or SOD) he wouldn't have taken any notice as clearly couldn't stand either of them.

I wonder if some of the players / senior players went to SL re Tomlin, rather than LJ...and that was the catalyst for SL to say to LJ that if LT is the problem "leave him out and prove it with results"....or something like that.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I seriously doubt that happened in LJs case. More likely the opposite but we'll never get to know - not that it matters now.

No, there were some rumours on here, that the players had gone to SL re LJ.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, there were some rumours on here, that the players had gone to SL re LJ.

Senior players went to SL refusing to  play for GJ after the brawl at Plymouth.

If senior players went to SL last season it would have in support of LJ.

30 minutes ago, chinapig said:

But weren't we told by those itk last season that a deputation of senior players went to Steve to demand Lee be sacked? :blink:

That was a different deputation.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I know it's your hobby horse but no I'm not. I am sure the claim was made last season.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Senior players went to SL refusing to  play for GJ after the brawl at Plymouth.

If senior players went to SL last season it would have in support of LJ.

That’s what i’m Saying....but the rumour banded around, was that it was to get rid of LJ....more fake ITK.

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

So what was the problem then?

I spent a good deal of time setting this out last season so for everyone's sakes I won't repeat it in detail. 

But, to summarise, there were clearly some 'cultural issues' behind closed doors which evidence would suggest have been dealt with.

I also had reservations about our transfer policy, in particular the timing and volume of transfers.  I don't believe this was totally down to LJ. 

This season, having had the benefit of a pre-season (which I think is crucial) we look in better shape.

I was also pilloried for suggesting Tammy was not good for us.  I get that it seemed a daft statement at the time, but look how CITY players and OUR squad has benefited since he left. Not to mention us developing someone else's asset to appreciate in value. Again this seems to have been addressed.

I don't want to come over as big headed, but I firmly believe that concerns were more or less right and it's the addressing of these that have resulted in seeing true potential.

COYR!!

5 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

There's none so blind as those who will not see.

You didn't "see," then, LJ, after last season ended, admit that some of our recruitment was not good enough, that he "might've over coached a bit,"  and generally take some responsibility for the poor run (once we were safe and finished the season strongly)? 

There's none so deaf as those who will not tune in to Radio Bristol and/or follow the club on youtube, etc....

Archived