IGNORED

Watford starting xi

Londoner

6 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Looking forward to seeing the actual team for this game.  Wonder if any players will play full games in both this match and the Man City game.

Steele?

On a serious note - Eliasson or Taylor? If either performs against Watford I could see them starting at the Etihad.

6 hours ago, Cider-Head23 said:

I think after the schedule the players have had a three day rest will feel like a very good break.

I'm sure we'll make 5 or 6 changes to the line up. I can see Vyner and Kelly starting as well as the 3 you mentioned. 

We mustn't forget we are playing a premier league side, although I'm unsure how strong Watford will line up,

so we need to have that right level of Youth & Experience.. the last thing we want is another heavy defeat. 

I think come Saturday on the back of three days rest and not playing since the previous Monday.. a lot of the lads will be ready to go again, that's not to say some shouldn't be rested though. 

My feeling - based on sheer guesswork - is that Pack, Wright, Baker, Paterson and possibly Smith will be rested. I reckon it might be something like:

Steele

Vyner Flint Magnússon Kelly

Brownhill   Bakinson

Eliasson                                  Bryan

Woodrow       Taylor

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

My feeling - based on sheer guesswork - is that Pack, Wright, Baker, Paterson and possibly Smith will be rested. I reckon it might be something like:

Steele

Vyner Flint Magnússon Kelly

Brownhill   Bakinson

Eliasson                                  Bryan

Woodrow       Taylor

Can't see Bryan or Brownhill starting. Brownhill in particular is desperate for a rest.

Agree Flint will start, he's the one senior player who never drops out for Cup ties.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Can't see Bryan or Brownhill starting. Brownhill in particular is desperate for a rest.

Agree Flint will start, he's the one senior player who never drops out for Cup ties.

Agreed on brownhill he has looked desperate for a rest.

On 1/1/2018 at 21:36, bristolcitysweden said:

Last time we played them we made nine changes (they only four). Question is if we can make nine changes this time around with all injuries?

9 changes it was and although we brought in a few youngsters there was still a backbone of experienced pros.

City line up in the League Cup at Vicarage Rd:

Fielding; Vyner, Flint, Magnússon, Kelly; O'Dowda, Eliasson, Hegeler, O'Neil; Diedhiou, Hinds.

O'Dowda, Hegeler, O'Neil and Diedhiou 4 experienced players unavailable this time.

10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You're very possibly right. I only put them in because Smith and Pack seem desperate for a rest too and I couldn't work out who will start instead. The only other players I can think of - unless Taylor Moore and Joe Morrell are back which I didn't think they were - are Freddie Hinds and Engvall. But surely we won't start with four strikers?

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

You're very possibly right. I only put them in because Smith and Pack seem desperate for a rest too and I couldn't work out who will start instead. The only other players I can think of - unless Taylor Moore and Joe Morrell are back which I didn't think they were - are Freddie Hinds and Engvall. But surely we won't start with four strikers?

Wouldn't matter whether Moore and Morrell are back or not, they are cup tied.

So we could have:

Fielding: Vyner, Flint, Magnússon, Kelly; Eliasson, Bakinson, Andrews, Holden, Woodrow, Hinds

With the same defence and just 4 changes in total from our last victorious visit, and the likes of Taylor & Engvall on the bench.

I think LJ will throw caution to the wind and attack.

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

They're all knackered to an extent but Brownhill looked particularly out on his feet to me.

I think our formation may reflect we have a high proportion of attackers available -compared to other areas anyway.

We won't start with 4, but 3 wouldn't surprise me.

I think the following will all be rested;

Baker, Bryan, Brownhill, Paterson & Reid.

I'd expect Wright to only be a sub and to be used in an emergency & in the absence of any fit reserve midfielders (such as O'Neil or Hegeler) for Smith and Pack to play a half a game each.

This would see the starting line up as;

Steele, Vyner, Flint, Maggers, Kelly, Engvall (or Hinds), Bakinson, Smith/Pack, Eliasson, Taylor & Woodrow.

This allows the majority of the side which will start at Man C (the one that beat Man U, Boro and Reading) to have a proper break and two of the others to play just 45 minutes each.

If we did manage to bring in a player like Walsh before midday tomorrow then Smith and Pack needn't play either...

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think the following will all be rested;

Baker, Bryan, Brownhill, Paterson & Reid.

I'd expect Wright to only be a sub and to be used in an emergency & in the absence of any fit reserve midfielders (such as O'Neil or Hegeler) for Smith and Pack to play a half a game each.

This would see the starting line up as;

Steele, Vyner, Flint, Maggers, Kelly, Engvall (or Hinds), Bakinson, Smith/Pack, Eliasson, Taylor & Woodrow.

This allows the majority of the side which will start at Man C (the one that beat Man U, Boro and Reading) to have a proper break and two of the others to play just 45 minutes each.

If we did manage to bring in a player like Walsh before midday tomorrow then Smith and Pack needn't play either...

Agreed, and Smith & Pack playing half a game each seems a practical way to keep some experience in midfield without either being over exerted.

11 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Are we now sure Engvall can now play?  Has the club itself mentioned anything?

Adam Baker confirmed Engvall ok, he’s registered from 2nd Jan.  He also confirmed that Woodrow has been allowed by Fulham.  That was a bit of a no-brainer as he’s staying til the end of the season and therefore can’t play for Fulham in any competition.

@GrahamCodds on Pack playing, getting a yellow to only miss one league game, or do you think LJ will tell him to try to avoid a booking until such time as recruits are in place?

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Adam Baker confirmed Engvall ok, he’s registered from 2nd Jan.  He also confirmed that Woodrow has been allowed by Fulham.  That was a bit of a no-brainer as he’s staying til the end of the season and therefore can’t play for Fulham in any competition.

@GrahamCodds on Pack playing, getting a yellow to only miss one league game, or do you think LJ will tell him to try to avoid a booking until such time as recruits are in place?

Pack has managed to go a couple of games without a card now so my guess would be the latter, that we will hope he can last out until we have another midfielder on board.

On 01/01/2018 at 21:16, Davefevs said:
  On 01/01/2018 at 19:34, Bazooka Joe said:

We don't need another cup run - give the boys a rest.

The following XI will give Watford a run for their money. Although I fear they'll lose by the odd goal.

1 Madge the Tea Lady

2 Tom, the groundsman's apprentice

3 Archie the programme seller

4 Mark Ashton

5 Jamie McAllister

6 Scott Murray

7 Sid the Steward

8 Luke the ball-boy

9 Harry the Club-shop merchandiser

10 Adam Baker

11 Derek Cleave Club Chaplain (he reckons we don't have a prayer of a chance)

Subs - Any seven season-ticket holders aged over 90.

I know others have pointed out the basic errors in this team but nobody has commented about Scotty wearing a different shirt number. He'll not play, he won't share his Irn Bru and he won't wash future kits until he wears the #7 shirt.

Hissing Sid can wear the #6 shirt.

10 hours ago, Swede said:

Steele

Vyner, Flint, Magners & Kelly

Edwards, Pack, Bakinson, Elliason

Woodrow & Taylor

Subs

O'Leary, Hinds, Wright, Reid, Korey, Garita & Conor Lemonheigh Evans 

No need to put his first name in, his surname is long enough already -  or do we have 2 Lemonheigh-Evans on our books? :dunno:

Fielding  

Vyner  Flint  Mags  Kelly

Paterson Smith Pack Eliasson

Woodrow Taylor 

I think we'll line up stronger than most think, they've had a good rest this week.

And making 5 or 6 changes is still giving a fair number a rest.

Have a feeling Frankie will play tomorrow with Steele playing Tuesday night. 

Steele

Vyner         Flint         Magnússon        Kelly

Ellison      Pack         Bakinson         Hinds

Taylor        Woodrow 

subs O’Leary, Wright, pavolic, Smith, lemonheigh evans, gartia, engvall 

alothought I would love to see gus start ! Up top , one of brownhill, Smith and Pack has to play so pack as he didn’t play a full 90 against villa 

Jacob Steinberg has had his say on the Guardian site...although tbh he actually manages to write several sentences without really saying anything. Impressive.

"Bristol City need right balance before Etihad trip

In different circumstances it would be tempting to make Bristol City favourites to win at Vicarage Road on Saturday afternoon. The team who stunned Manchester United last month have already performed heroics in the Carabao Cup, reaching the last four after putting out four Premier League sides, and that giantkilling run began with a 3-2 victory away to Watford in August. Yet Lee Johnson has some tough decisions to make before facing Marco Silva’s inconsistent side. Not only are his team chasing promotion from the Championship, he also has to keep his players fresh before they visit Manchester City for the first leg of their Carabao Cup semi-final next Tuesday. Do not expect Johnson to wave the white flag, especially as Watford are vulnerable after a poor run of form, but finding the right balance will not be easy."

Archived