IGNORED

A game too far

INCRED

Before the game with Villa it was always gonna be a tough ask for the same 10 outfield players to put a shift in for another big game. The lads have been fantastic but the tank must be running on empty. The next 7 days and our transfer dealings will be crucial for the rest of the season as well as players coming back from injury 

Need to get back to winning ways at home to Norwich with a refreshed and dynamic squad 

@spudski Did call this a few days ago.

Delighted with what we have achieved but the 9 outfield starters (bar Maggers) who have started virtually every game need some support in the window, not League One standard ones or Academy lads like our bench currently contains..

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Delighted with what we have achieved but the 9 outfield starters (bar Maggers) who have started virtually every game need some support in the window, not League One standard ones or Academy lads like our bench currently contains..

Yea. Need 3 top quality additions and a few of the u23 that need 12-24 months. The 3 we need are a central midfielder, hard working striker and right back. A couple young ones like Walsh as well. This is if we want to seriously push that second spot and make sure we stay top 6. They can still fit our model and I would take loans if need be but they need to be experienced in this league or higher. 

18 minutes ago, RedKatieScarlett said:

I love my team but they’re shattered... We need to be proud of what we’ve achieved and not beat our boys up. COYR - there’s still a lot of season left with fit players returning... BELIEVE xx

Absolutely... as Bill Shankly once said...

If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win.

Was always going to happen at some point given the injuries and the high instensity game we’ve been playing all season! We’re still in an amazing position. 

Make as many changes as possible against Watford IMO and give these boys a well earned rest. We’ll be back soon UTC

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, agreed Graham. Very stretched squad playing a high energy high press game...needing a rest. Question for me is whether we have any intention of signing the quality players necessary to improve on, or match, what we currently have. I'm not sure that we do.

As for the likes of Villa, just look at the pedigree of their squad, full of experience in depth. Not sure we can complete with that. 

But I'm optimistic that with a break our side can get back on track again. 

As for tonight, feels like a game too far...I seem to recall watching us conceded 6 at Ipswich in a season that ended quite well...

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Yep, agreed Graham. Very stretched squad playing a high energy high press game...needing a rest. Question for me is whether we have any intention of signing the quality players necessary to improve on, or match, what we currently have. I'm not sure that we do.

As for the likes of Villa, just look at the pedigree of their squad, full of experience in depth. Not sure we can complete with that. 

But I'm optimistic that with a break our side can get back on track again. 

As for tonight, feels like a game too far...I seem to recall watching us conceded 6 at Ipswich in a season that ended quite well...

My thoughts too.

There is nothing at all to be gained by Saturday's match & so we need to rest as many as possible & bow out gracefully.

Need a couple of new faces asap, a couple of the injured coming back and a bit of rest for those who have had to play so much.

Remember - in our 07/08 playoff season we had the following results..

Barnsley 3-0 City

Ipswich 6-0 City

West Brom 4-1 City

QPR 3-0 City

I remember the Ipswich and West Brom games in particular we were absolutely battered. Still got to the Playoff final with a far worse side than we have now. Keep the faith. Two defeats against the two biggest spenders in the league isn't shameful. Plenty of time to go this season.

A few new recruits, some rest for the players who've had such an intense few weeks and some others returning from injury will do us the world of good.

Amazing season so far and Johnson and team have exceeded all expectations and more.

just think we have been properly softened up today, just wondering mentally what conceding the last minute goal to wolves after being in control now followed by a thumping will do to the players.

maybe nothing but I think we are hitting a real tough period now and it won’t help looking behind and seeing the powerhouses like villa and boro starting to pick up ground.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Remember - in our 07/08 playoff season we had the following results..

Barnsley 3-0 City

Ipswich 6-0 City

West Brom 4-1 City

QPR 3-0 City

I remember the Ipswich and West Brom games in particular we were absolutely battered. Still got to the Playoff final with a far worse side than we have now. Keep the faith. Two defeats against the two biggest spenders in the league isn't shameful. Plenty of time to go this season.

A few new recruits, some rest for the players who've had such an intense few weeks and some others returning from injury will do us the world of good.

Remember the 4-1 Boxing Day defeat we were battered with 4000+ travelling fans.

Still higher in the league than we expected and in the semi final of the league cup. Time to rest a few players, look to strengthen the squad and move forward.

Play offs still within our grasp.

44 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Before the game with Villa it was always gonna be a tough ask for the same 10 outfield players to put a shift in for another big game. The lads have been fantastic but the tank must be running on empty. The next 7 days and our transfer dealings will be crucial for the rest of the season as well as players coming back from injury 

Need to get back to winning ways at home to Norwich with a refreshed and dynamic squad 

Thanks goodness this weekend is over. Villas reserve team would get in to our first 11 so glad it wasn't 7 or 8. It should have been. Badly need investment this week ahead in the market to give these lads some help and a little more quality. 

6 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I thought we'd been staggering since the Man United game to be honest.... it seemed to take a lot of energy out of the team, and I don't think the double header against Man City will do us any favours either. Reinforcements are needed, and pretty quickly (and maybe one or two before Saturday).

You only had to look at a few of ours second half v Wolves, They were blowing out their collective arses after an hour.

You could see this coming a mile off after Saturday. 

There’s no way of proving it of course but IMO if we hadn’t imploded Sat then this wouldn’t have happened today. Amazing the role that confidence and mentality play. 

Glad for a break from the league now for some rest. I don’t care if we get fined - as many first teamers as possible rested on Sat please. 

Totally thrilled & pleased with what these lads have achieved to date. They must be shattered both mentally & physically after today but I will always believe. Hopeing now that LJ & Co can get some loan players to spread the load these boys have had to carry.

COYR's :clap:

36 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Anybody know why Wolves didn't have to play today?

The Wolves and Brentford local rags say it's because of our late kick-off on Saturday... which seems a little peculiar.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brentford-see-aston-villa-wolves-13852652

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2017/11/03/wolves-and-villa-games-moved-for-tv/

Archived