IGNORED

Feel for them

RedNight

So normally after a 5-0 loss, I'd be extremely annoyed.

But they didn't deserve that tonight. They've worked so hard and have given everything, and it's pure circumstances the reason we've just gone down 5-0. 

I was dreading the response from our fans. But it's actually been very refreshing to see the majority on the same page as myself. We all know we had a tired group out there today and it was just a game too far. 

I have absolutely no doubt we will bounce back against Norwich. 

No matter what, let's stick by them. I know last season questions were asked if they really cared? But it's quite obvious they do. They're a great bunch and we have a great management team to match. The futures still bright, its red & white.

Its a squad game these days and its /no coincidence that the clubs with the big squads with quality benches due to parachute payments e.g. villa/boro or basic flouting off financial fair play e.g. wolves have come off better during this hectic time of year as they can rotate.

We got away with a small squad in league one as we were lucky with injuries and lets face it the standard is so poor at times in league one the players dont have to play on the edge and give 110% in every minute of every game as often games are over by half time and you can just coast the second half/take the p1$$ and bring on weaker subs. The championship is far quicker and physically demanding and it was inevitable that the injuries that have depleted our squad would catch up with us at some stage, as we are down to 11 championship standard players at present IMO, and by playing them all twice a week it would be impossible to sustain the levels we had reached pre xmas.

We need one or two additions anyway even with everyone fit, certainly now leko hasnt worked out.  The players and LJ deserve to be backed by SL. Im not talking about spending 20 million to go for broke. im talking about spending 3/4/5 million on a couple of carefully selected players who can maintain our form and make sure we dont fall away and can also help us have another crack next season if it doesnt happen this.

1 minute ago, Second City Exile said:

Was sitting in the North Stand(couldn't get a ticket although counted at least eighty empty seats in the away end- perhaps people were ill?) and saw most of the players visibly upset at the outcome as they walked off. Joe Bryan in particular looked " all in".  A game too far? Yes ! 

Did the city fans give them a good reception at the end? Or was there not many left? 

17 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Its a squad game these days and its /no coincidence that the clubs with the big squads with quality benches due to parachute payments e.g. villa/boro or basic flouting off financial fair play e.g. wolves have come off better during this hectic time of year as they can rotate.

We got away with a small squad in league one as we were lucky with injuries and lets face it the standard is so poor at times in league one the players dont have to play on the edge and give 110% in every minute of every game as often games are over by half time and you can just coast the second half/take the p1$$ and bring on weaker subs. The championship is far quicker and physically demanding and it was inevitable that the injuries that have depleted our squad would catch up with us at some stage, as we are down to 11 championship standard players at present IMO, and by playing them all twice a week it would be impossible to sustain the levels we had reached pre xmas.

We need one or two additions anyway even with everyone fit, certainly now leko hasnt worked out.  The players and LJ deserve to be backed by SL. Im not talking about spending 20 million to go for broke. im talking about spending 3/4/5 million on a couple of carefully selected players who can maintain our form and make sure we dont fall away and can also help us have another crack next season if it doesnt happen this.

I'm still trying to get my head around the financial fair play thing. Why is it that clubs like PSG and Man City can spend hundreds of millions in signing the world's best players? 

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm still trying to get my head around the financial fair play thing. Why is it that clubs like PSG and Man City can spend hundreds of millions in signing the world's best players? 

Because fines are inconsequential for clubs of that size. 

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Because they work around the rules by doing things like Stadium Sponsorship to bring in £100s of millions.

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think in the top leagues it has no teeth (PSG/man city classic examples) but its supposed to in the FL. Trouble is if clubs take the pee and get promoted to the prem like wolves clearly will they dont have to pay the fine as they are then out of the FLs jurisdiction. I think QPR are still appealing their £50m fine. Why the hell the FL dont just make clubs who break the rules start back in league 2 if they get relegated from the prem i dont know. forget the fines. 

I think most fans felt sorry for the players, you could see they were putting their heart in, just didn’t have the energy. We had chances to score and just got countered, if we were 100% and not played 5 games in 12 days we might have been able to stop the attacks. But as most have said it was just a game to far for the team.

59 minutes ago, RedNight said:

So normally after a 5-0 loss, I'd be extremely annoyed.

But they didn't deserve that tonight. They've worked so hard and have given everything, and it's pure circumstances the reason we've just gone down 5-0. 

I was dreading the response from our fans. But it's actually been very refreshing to see the majority on the same page as myself. We all know we had a tired group out there today and it was just a game too far. 

I have absolutely no doubt we will bounce back against Norwich. 

No matter what, let's stick by them. I know last season questions were asked if they really cared? But it's quite obvious they do. They're a great bunch and we have a great management team to match. The futures still bright, its red & white.

I don't think I have ever understood how anyone could be proud in a loss (let alone a 5-0) but somehow I am today. I don't want to take anything away from Villa because they clearly have class in depth and used it to deadly effect today.

That being said this is very different to a normal heavy loss for us - what I saw today was players not only battling the opposition but also having to battle there own bodies and minds to try and get a win, were finding some of our players limits for consecutive games and I think this will help LJ, SL and MA plan what size the squad needs to be in future or what should be realistic goals for progression in the cups.

Im not going to say that I wouldn't mind losing if they put that much effort in every week because I like seeing us win but that was no Preston away and I truely wouldn't mind a thumping like that once a season if it means we get to see the football we have playing so far this season.

1 hour ago, Second City Exile said:

Very few left at the end, although those who remained gave them a supportive clap.  Majority of fans left after the third goal.

Good to see all of the players and staff go to the travelling fans. LJ held his hands up ?

Flirty was the first one off the field, sprinting off 

but he did come over to the fans beforehand…

Response so far has been a credit to the genuine fan base.  

**** happens.   We’ve traded on a high tempo game and we’ve got a developing squad.  

Our target man (occasionally required) and his understudy are both injured so we turn to our preeminent centre back when needed.

Maybe this will be the year.  Perhaps it won’t be.  But we are moving forward.   Trust in SL, LJ, the squad, and the youngsters, and  also the true supporters and we’ll get there and stay there.

COYR

PSand **** the cups though i’be bought my Man City away ticket and am working the next day and won’t be able to deaden the pain of a trouncing

I wasn’t there but it looked like we were the victim of two factors: Not having a big enough squad to allow rest and recovery to certain players, eg Brownhill seems to get clattered every match, Baker always looks like he is carrying a knock etc. Then to find ourselves playing 2 ‘big squad’ teams who have the strength and depth we don’t have in 48 hours of eachother was a game too far as others have said.

I think we were unlucky not to get a point against Wolves but luck wasn't involved last night, we were never in it. Too many players all having a bad game all at once, it happens. But it wasn’t that they didn’t want it, they just couldn’t. Villa sensed we were on the ropes and went for the kill, we’ve done it to teams in the past and will again. I’ve got every faith our time will come again. One game doesn’t make or break a season, by the way I thought Wolves celebrated like they were promoted already, hope that bites them on their ass.

Excellent match report from Olé, as always. Sums it up exactly: mental exhaustion. Our "Best X1" has given so much & we don't have quite enough on the bench to help them due to injuries. No disrespect to the bench but look at the Wolves squad. Whatever, I'm proud of the whole of our squad & know they're all giving it their best shot. Firmly believe that LJ, his coaching crew, MA & SL have players lined up to sign. Not to bin those who've got us this far but to help them cope with the pressure, give them a rest & generally buy into the mentality that began to build end of last season & has been so evident this season. No need to fear any side in this league. We can even make auto!

LJ got it wrong . He was man enough to admit as much and the lad is well in credit .

I am very proud of our club from top to bottom and we are going somewhere.

This was a wake up call make no mistake. Now it is up to SL. to decide whether we go for it with some judicious additions to the squad or if he is just content to bob along in the Championship.

I  believe he will err on the side of caution and we may only see one or two , relatively unknown , additions to the squad.

( Cue Ronaldo's unveiling at Ashton Gate ! ) 

Archived